Retiring Soon - open speculation

hey, today is make up your own stuff day.. it is a free country :P

In that case, I heard the Hulk Lab Smash is already retiring due to green skinned people finding the Hulk maxifigure as "an insulting racist interpretation with an offensive attitude of always wanting to smash things". Oh and the Captain America vs Hydra set is also being retired cause Red Skull is a Nazi along with Captain Communist, Captain America's other arch-rival.
  • Like 1

In that case, I heard the Hulk Lab Smash is already retiring due to green skinned people finding the Hulk maxifigure as "an insulting racist interpretation with an offensive attitude of always wanting to smash things". Oh and the Captain America vs Hydra set is also being retired cause Red Skull is a Nazi along with Captain Communist, Captain America's other arch-rival.

Yeah and Tower Bridge is retiring because it helps terrorists to practice bombing strategy with the layout.

• Like 2

As Pacific493 stated above, the "retired" category is a lagging indicator.  Many of us already can guess that a set is done well before it is declared that way by LEGO.  Some sets never get that declaration.  The retiring of a set is drawn out process that goes through many stages.  For some sets, it can take half a year or more to retire from the original indicators.  There are no "oracles," just educated guesses and some inside information on occasion.

Miss-Cleo-Image.jpg

I disagree now sugar.  You call me I'll tell you when GE, HH, SC any ol' set you wanna talk about gonna retire and how much it will be worth in 6 months baby.

• Like 6

I'm sure this has been discussed on this thread before (probably many pages back), but have you guys ever tracked the limits for the exclusives on LEGO shop at home and been able to infer anything from that?  Most of the usual suspects which have have been in production a while are a limit of 2 (GE, HH, DS, Joust, R2, WVM, Orthanc, Arkham, Sopwith, etc.).  I do recall that even when the GE status was changing daily back in July the limit was 5 at some point and then they switched it back to 2.  I just wonder if LEGO reduces the limit as a set nears retirement or if this is more of a production issue where they want to slow down the quantities purchased for sets that are consistently going on backorder.

Jabba's Sail Barge just came out 13 months ago.  It could retire just about any time next year from Jan-Dec or it could even be lingering into 2016.  Hard to tell, but I wouldn't bank on making money on this set for a while.  You probably won't ever see it for 60% off again though.  Great price to buy in at.

zskid00... about buying limits - actual I asked this very question about a week ago in some other thread.  The oldtimers replied that they've not seen any real correlation between limits and proximity of EOL.

Darth R... wasn't expecting to find the Warren Buffet of Legos (the closest thing we have is Ed Mack... who may have a better batting average :) )

... I was expecting more actual speculation, and fewer jokes.  ;)

... but I don't want to complain... I appreciate that the moderators here allow us to have fun and express ourselves.  Thanks guys.

Edited by Kenxxx
  • Like 1

zskid00... about buying limits - actual I asked this very question about a week ago in some other thread.  The oldtimers replied that they've not seen any real correlation between limits and proximity of EOL.

Darth R... wasn't expecting to find the Warren Buffet of Legos (the closest thing we have is Ed Mack... who may have a better batting average :) )

... I was expecting more actual speculation, and fewer jokes.  ;)

... but I don't want to complain... I appreciate that the moderators here allow us to have fun and express ourselves.  Thanks guys.

I am going out on the limb here, but it seems to be that there are problems with your expectations, not with this thread...

• Like 2