Retiring Soon - open speculation

I think we need to consider JJ Abrams as well when considering what the new vehicles will look like. He subtlety changed the Enterprise and gave them a more modem look. He can do the same with the new movie Falcon that would make the older versions obsolete.

The difference between Star Trek and Star Wars is that Star Trek was a reboot, so JJ had the freedom to design the Enterprise however he wanted.  However, Star Wars is a continuation of an ongoing story so it wouldn't make sense to redesign the MF.  He can get away with redesigning ships like the X-Wing since they're disposable fighters and it makes sense that they'd get an update.

Rumors have it that there will be a new UCS MF.. You still need a playset. It should still do reasonably well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new UCS MF (if we're getting one) is a large playset that sells for around $300.

UCS and playset.......not synonymous.

Currently, yes. Tomorrow? Not so sure.

Lego has been acting more and more like a typical action figure & doll company.

It looks like we are seeing more UCS badges slapped on playable sets. The last 2 UCS sets (including the Salve 1) have ample playability so why not release a playset in the near future.

Then again, who knows.

...price/weight ratio (generally more useful than price/piece; otherwise sets with lots of small pieces appear to offer awesome values)...  I'm willing to bet ... the Classic Collection has a worse price/weight ratio than 10188. ...

You're probably right about the price per pound comparison.

But... (((Price per pound) averaged with (price per piece)) + (market value of minifigures)) + licensing royalties / (square inches of shelf space) x (volume of finished model)... etc, etc.... :cheese:   there are lots of equally silly ways we could muse over the "appropriate" pricing for a Lego.  Bottom line: at $400 each, TLG is making a killing on this 11 lbs (?) of plastic that they've had in production for over 6 years.

My newbie prediction: TLG will keep pumping 10188's for as long as BP'ers continue to buy all that they can.

UCS and playset.......not synonymous.

Currently, yes. Tomorrow? Not so sure.

Lego has been acting more and more like a typical action figure & doll company.

It looks like we are seeing more UCS badges slapped on playable sets. The last 2 UCS sets (including the Salve 1) have ample playability so why not release a playset in the near future.

Then again, who knows.

Is 75059 Sandcrawler not considered a UCS set?

I was speaking historically......plus some would agree that the 75059 has no business being a UCS set.

Exactly on both points. 75059 is the first of many Kiddie UCS "playsets". Slave 1 looks to be #2.

and why not? Lego Marketing is genius. By making a more playable large set and slapping a UCS badge on it, they increase potential buyers (AFOLs will still buy but now little Johnny has a better chance at getting one from mommy or grandma). I don't think many kiddies have 10221s but do own 10188s and 75059s. If the Ewok Village came out this year or next, i wonder if that would had the UCS label???

The difference between Star Trek and Star Wars is that Star Trek was a reboot, so JJ had the freedom to design the Enterprise however he wanted.  However, Star Wars is a continuation of an ongoing story so it wouldn't make sense to redesign the MF.  He can get away with redesigning ships like the X-Wing since they're disposable fighters and it makes sense that they'd get an update.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new UCS MF (if we're getting one) is a large playset that sells for around $300.

Yeah, I mean if the SW series has been anything over the years it is consistent and nothing in the 6 movies contradicts each other, right?

Yeah, I mean if the SW series has been anything over the years it is consistent and nothing in the 6 movies contradicts each other, right?

From a visuals standpoint all the movies are consistent.

Exactly on both points. 75059 is the first of many Kiddie UCS "playsets". Slave 1 looks to be #2.

and why not? Lego Marketing is genius. By making a more playable large set and slapping a UCS badge on it, they increase potential buyers (AFOLs will still buy but now little Johnny has a better chance at getting one from mommy or grandma). I don't think many kiddies have 10221s but do own 10188s and 75059s. If the Ewok Village came out this year or next, i wonder if that would had the UCS label???

I think AFOLS get too caught up in the UCS terminology.  As fuzzy_bricks pointed out, the sets stand on their own.  I really don't mind that USC sets contain a few play features as long as they make sense.  This is the case with the Sandcrawler, and looks to be the case with Slave 1 as well.  I think if Ewok Village and the DS came out this year they'd both get the UCS label.

What I find odd is that the Sandcrawler didn't get a plaque, yet Slave 1 does.  They both include minifigs and play features, so they're not a strick "model" like the UCS X-Wing.  I wonder if they're only giving "starship" sets plaques.

Well of course they can but it used to refer to a more detailed version for display as apposed to a playset. Display vs play. Trying to merge the two could prove not as good for the other. Only time will tell.

The reason may be that DS and EV sell much better than "true" UCS sets and LEGO has learned the lesson. In my opinion the trigger was really the Ewok Village, as I believe it came out to be more successful than LEGO originally thought. They may lose some AFOLs, but gain on the younger side and there are also many adults who favour play features and dislike pure display stuff.

The new recipe imho:

above average (but not model-like) detail + high piece count + play features + exclusive minifigs = UCS

Kids as well as a number of us like to actually play with the design while others just like something to look at and there is nothing wrong with either side of the spectrum but far as what may considered as in Lego's best interest would be to incorporate play features to go along with their advanced model designs to appease the overall majority. The model looks well enough on its own for those who enjoy display designs and something to fool around with for the rest of us.

We will still see good quality display only models in the future I imagine but the days of Ultimate Collector Series builds just being something nice to look at are probably behind us.

I was speaking historically......plus some would agree that the 75059 has no business being a UCS set.

Yes, but it doesn't really matter because LEGO printed it right on the box.

I think AFOLS get too caught up in the UCS terminology.  As fuzzy_bricks pointed out, the sets stand on their own.  I really don't mind that USC sets contain a few play features as long as they make sense.  This is the case with the Sandcrawler, and looks to be the case with Slave 1 as well.  I think if Ewok Village and the DS came out this year they'd both get the UCS label.

I agree.  There used to be a more consistent approach to UCS sets, but it seems that LEGO has muddied the water a bit.  I really don't put much stock in what LEGO officially labels the sets as because it's getting harder to see the difference between some UCS and non-UCS exclusives.

You can always have both (display and playability).  In other words, a ship that was "to scale" on the exterior, but with "not to scale" interior playability.  As far as I know, even the first Sandcrawler (10144) was to scale (in other words, had the correct length:width:height ratios).  It was not to scale with minifigures, but if that bugs you, just keep them somewhere else (or inside it, out of sight).

well just walked out of my local and only Lego store and no Tumbler in sight or on display ... i would think they would have one on display at least ...

other notes: no sign of Grand Emporium, Sopwith Camel, Maersk Triple E, Haunted House

forgot to mention there were no signs of RI, Exo, WVM, ALL blue boxed Chima and Delorean!!