Retiring Soon - open speculation

IF IF IF TLG retires SSD (done), DS,GE,HH,SC, Winter Market Village, and maybe T1(?), it is gonna be one memorable end for 2014 ..

I think the HH and T1 have a chance to stay around, time will tell though, as none of us have any insight into it.  What about the TB though?

I'm not saying that it works for every set, but it's much less risky than it used to be since you don't have to worry about the possibility of competing with sellers who will be able to buy the set at 50% off.  If you pick correctly, you can buy sets at MSRP and still make a killing.  The trick is all in knowing how to pick the right sets.

There was actually a time when most sets did extremely well after EOL, often times if you went to retail shops you would find sets at 50% off too, sometimes even 70%... Isn't this what you dinosaurs refer to as the "Golden Age"? haha

I think the HH and T1 have a chance to stay around, time will tell though, as none of us have any insight into it.  What about the TB though?

There was actually a time when most sets did extremely well after EOL, often times if you went to retail shops you would find sets at 50% off too, sometimes even 70%... Isn't this what you dinosaurs refer to as the "Golden Age"? haha

TB isnt showing any "signs", but who knows. plus they still need to have something on the shelf to sell :)

Would you expect anything else? This zombie set will be there until 2036

Well, I did my part to help; called Lego and told them it was confusing to Star Wars fans that they keep the DS in production, since the real one blew up decades ago.  As a result, I trust it will be EOL shortly.

• Like 6

I think I'll let the 7965 MF slide away without buying one.  Chatter here is correct: there will be a new one out soon, putting a lid on this one's value.

Anecdotally, my 6-year-old lives and breathes Lego Star Wars.  He wants it all. He has a DS, and he wants an SSD (not likely), an AT-AT, Mos Eisley, Star Destroyer, an MTT, a Spider Droid, a Starhopper, a Ghost, a Phantom... and on and on.  You know what he doesn't want? A 7965 MF... couldn't care less... just of no interest to him... he already has several  Lukes, Leias, Hans, and Vaders... so what does he need this boring MF for?  And the whole "chrysanthemum" opening top never appealed to me.  A new, bigger, more interesting MF is needed... something more than just a place to play space checkers. :)

Also... someone earlier commented that the DS has to go because Lego doesn't want to raise the old US$400 price ... and it's worth more than that today?  I don't know....  just doing a little apples to oranges math: The 10188 DS has 3803 pcs and 24 minifigs (and some of those - like the mouse droid - are barely what I'd call minifigs).  The new 5004243 Classic Collection has 3839 pcs and 24 real minifigs for US$390.  Of course there's only one Death Star, but the new sets are about the same price as the old.

• Like 1

I think I'll let the 7965 MF slide away without buying one.  Chatter here is correct: there will be a new one out soon, putting a lid on this one's value.

Anecdotally, my 6-year-old lives and breathes Lego Star Wars.  He wants it all. He has a DS, and he wants an SSD (not likely), an AT-AT, Mos Eisley, Star Destroyer, an MTT, a Spider Droid, a Starhopper, a Ghost, a Phantom... and on and on.  You know what he doesn't want? A 7965 MF... couldn't care less... just of no interest to him... he already has several  Lukes, Leias, Hans, and Vaders... so what does he need this boring MF for?  And the whole "chrysanthemum" opening top never appealed to me.  A new, bigger, more interesting MF is needed... something more than just a place to play space checkers. :)

Also... someone earlier commented that the DS has to go because Lego doesn't want to raise the old US$400 price ... and it's worth more than that today?  I don't know....  just doing a little apples to oranges math: The 10188 DS has 3803 pcs and 24 minifigs (and some of those - like the mouse droid - are barely what I'd call minifigs).  The new 5004243 Classic Collection has 3839 pcs and 24 real minifigs for US$390.  Of course there's only one Death Star, but the new sets are about the same price as the old.

Well, I'm the one who suggested this, and it's just a theory, but...  the new SD is nearly identical to the first SD playset, and retails for 30% more.  Ditto for the new AT-AT, and we've jumped 10% on that.  The new B-Wing has a similar piece count to the first (non-UCS) B-Wing, and retails for almost 50% more, the point being that Lego likes to raise prices.  However, they don't raise prices on existing sets (with the exception of AS).  I do know that 10188, at the same MSRP as 10221, weighs several pounds more.  It also has a better price/weight ratio (generally more useful than price/piece; otherwise sets with lots of small pieces appear to offer awesome values) than any exclusive set released in the last half decade or so except for the modular buildings.  I'm willing to bet a Chima Speedorz Starter Set (someone please take me up on this; I have way too many) that the Classic Collection has a worse price/weight ratio than 10188.  Winner pays shipping, of course, and reserves the right to cancel the bet altogether.  Honestly, what are these things good for?  They bore children and move too fast to make useful cat toys...

• Like 1

I placed an order from LEGO Shop at Home today for a GE. For those of you with experience, how likely is it that the order will be fulfilled at all? Do backordered orders like this, that appear to be EOL, often get cancelled?

I think any back orders will be fulfilled. Pretty convinced that the Grand Emporium has legs to see it through till November.
  • Like 1