Could Someone Give me Advice on Starting a LEGO Investment Portfolio Focused on Retired Sets?

Padrickk

Question

Hello there,

I am new to the world of LEGO investing and have been doing some research on various strategies to build a profitable portfolio. I have noticed that a lot of experienced collectors and investors on this forum seem to have a deep understanding of the market, especially when it comes to retired sets.

I am interested in starting my investment journey by focusing primarily on retired LEGO sets. I believe these sets tend to appreciate faster and more consistently compared to currently available ones; but I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

What would you recommend as a reasonable budget to start with if I am focusing solely on retired sets? How much should I expect to allocate to high-potential sets versus more stable; lower growth options?

Are there particular themes or specific sets that you believe are currently undervalued in the secondary market? Any tips on how to identify these hidden gems?

Is it better to purchase sets from individual sellers; auctions; or online marketplaces? What are the risks and benefits of each approach?

How do you ensure that the sets remain in mint condition over the years? Any advice on storage solutions that protect the boxes from environmental factors?

In your experience; is there a particular time after a sets retirement when it is best to sell; or should I hold onto them for the long term to maximize returns?

Also, I have gone through this post; https://www.brickpicker.com/forums/topic/1130-opening-and-building-power-apps-investment-lego-sets/ which definitely helped me out a lot.

I am excited to learn from your experiences and would appreciate any insights you can provide to help me get started on the right foot.

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance.

13 answers to this question

Trying to invest in retired sets usually means paying someone else for the initial big bump in price, then hoping it jumps further. You can buy my entire retired collection in cash for RRP.... it's like you're not even overpaying! I'll be up 80%, and you can hold it for years to make 20% over RRP. 

Here is a better thread to read before attempting to jump into this venture:

The only thing that matters anymore is your buy-in price. The majority of sets don't appreciate significantly before a remake is made, and those that do nobody is going to unload at a price where you can make a decent profit. 

Edited by brickvoyeur

a lot of talking about buying and zero on selling. All your money is made in selling and that's, by far, the hardest part of the equation. Who cares if something appreciated 200% in theory if you can't sell it anywhere near that price.  so the first question is...have you sold anything before and at what scale?

also as the value goes up all the risks associated with the whole process goes up as well. based on your questions, you seem risk averse. A key problem with jumping into retired sets is that A. You can't be sure the product is 100% legit...the more you mitigate this risk the more you pay. Whereas with current sets you can be relatively sure it's legit if its from a major retailer.

• Like 1

Retired Sets..... all plateau at some hard to determine supply demand point. Once reached they can stagnate for years. See VW Beetle for example. Stagnating at $200 for years. You need to determine if the retired set in question can "break out" to new highs. Amount of sellers and units sold per month (aka supply/demand) are the key determinants. Research well.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

Retired Sets..... all plateau at some hard to determine supply demand point. Once reached they can stagnate for years. See VW Beetle for example. Stagnating at $200 for years. You need to determine if the retired set in question can "break out" to new highs. Amount of sellers and units sold per month (aka supply/demand) are the key determinants. Research well.

Some even decrease in value. I would suggest you stay away from this venture. And If you do research very well.

4 hours ago, Tonka858 said:

all depends on if you can sell on Amazon or not

I don't see amazon restricting on lego these days. I'm seeing a lot of new sellers in lego even getting buy box

In my opinion, I think the best investment in lego right now is the Botanical Line.  Probably my best success in lego investing was buying stock in the first 20 to 25 architecture sets.  Granted, those sets were limited to mostly b&nobles and a few other stores, and not available in walmarts and targets.  But, I do think the first 20 or so botanical sets could possibly go the same way.   But, eventually they'll oversaturate the line like they did in every theme Lego has sold.   But, already the first retiree in that line has seen a good spike.  And the sets they are coming out with our also very well done.  The plum blossum, and pointsetta are great additions this year, in my opinion.. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 8:01 PM, fossilrock said:

In my opinion, I think the best investment in lego right now is the Botanical Line.  Probably my best success in lego investing was buying stock in the first 20 to 25 architecture sets.  Granted, those sets were limited to mostly b&nobles and a few other stores, and not available in walmarts and targets.  But, I do think the first 20 or so botanical sets could possibly go the same way.   But, eventually they'll oversaturate the line like they did in every theme Lego has sold.   But, already the first retiree in that line has seen a good spike.  And the sets they are coming out with our also very well done.  The plum blossum, and pointsetta are great additions this year, in my opinion.. 

E.v.e.r.y. s.i..n.g.l.e. LEGO seller is acutely aware of the insane popularity of the botanical line. It will be hoarded beyond belief. If the NASA apollo had people with warehouses full, these sets will have Maersk Liners full of them. BOP's being the exception. You need an overlooked / sleeper set/line....maybe Monkey Kid / Dreamzz, except that they indeed arent popular and will sleep forever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

E.v.e.r.y. s.i..n.g.l.e. LEGO seller is acutely aware of the insane popularity of the botanical line. It will be hoarded beyond belief. If the NASA apollo had people with warehouses full, these sets will have Maersk Liners full of them. BOP's being the exception. You need an overlooked / sleeper set/line....maybe Monkey Kid / Dreamzz, except that they indeed arent popular and will sleep forever.

Or find a set that won't be produced again or lego is losing the license to.....The Office comes to mind as well as the Indiana Jones line although i'm not sure if the license on it is getting lost or not

Like others have said maybe just look elsewhere or if you do decide to jump in the fire start small

What i've done and will always do is i use profits from other things i sell (Sports Cards, Vinyl Records, Vintage Toys, Antiques, Etc...You get the point) to purchase my lego inventory....I'm basically playing with house money on every set i buy

And finally if anyone asks why you have so many lego sets in your house or elsewhere tell them you have a large family or you're stockpiling for early christmas presents....LOL

Never forget Rule 1 of Fight Club

Edited by mlc3423

On 8/31/2024 at 6:54 PM, Bricklectic said:

Seriously?  Youre pimping Dreamzz sets over a line in which the first retired set doubled in value in less than a month post retirement.  And you want to be taken seriously?