10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

9 minutes ago, Cozei said:

Porsche is exception. Watched dude (he was a dude) buy 2 Porsches and not care for VIP. Lady behind asked if she could use her VIP for transaction.

I was too busy filling cups with sand green and plant parts for myself to swoop. Wallflower... 

"dude" could be a reseller and wants to stay under the radar.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, thebrickdad said:

Thoughts of an early retirement may be banished as EV features in the new Smyths (UK) catalogue.

Early retirement? It is two months short of the average retirement rate for special star wars sets as you can see here: http://retiringsets.com/lego-star-wars-ucs-list/

Would be nice to have it retired though :) I think it is one of the best sets of the current star wars offerings.

31 minutes ago, Legojona said:

Early retirement? It is two months short of the average retirement rate for special star wars sets as you can see here: http://retiringsets.com/lego-star-wars-ucs-list/

Would be nice to have it retired though :) I think it is one of the best sets of the current star wars offerings.

And if you strip out 10188 that skews things massively its way beyond the usual shelf life (ok by about 100 days above the norm I'd say :) - I've got some "better" graph somewhere).

So yeah - I'd really say this one is getting long in the tooth but given the recent push for play sets maybe it does get kept around.

49 minutes ago, thebrickdad said:

Thoughts of an early retirement may be banished as EV features in the new Smyths (UK) catalogue.

Is that a seasonal catalog?  Wondering if itws just the Autum/Winter variant or they have one that sticks around a bit longer.

• Like 1

At $181 each it's going to be really, really, really hard not to make some decent profit off these. Honestly wish I had bought more but I was afraid they wouldn't ship out if I ordered too many. I've had large orders cancelled before for buying too many, even though there wasn't a quantity limit.

18 minutes ago, Serejai said:

At $181 each it's going to be really, really, really hard not to make some decent profit off these. Honestly wish I had bought more but I was afraid they wouldn't ship out if I ordered too many. I've had large orders cancelled before for buying too many, even though there wasn't a quantity limit.

Wait .. where is this $181 deal?

15 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Are people buying this for the brown bricks or those silly teddy bears? Sorry, I just don't see the appeal or potential in this set.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you there.  Having built this set and being a huge SW fan I found this set hugely appealing !!! The attention to detail in relation to the film is great and it is one of my favourite builds of late.  Yes it can be classed as a 'play set' however I still think it is a great display piece, and it always gets the most positive comments when I show people my display collection.  Personally I think this will do just fine.

Edited by Manse1001
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Are people buying this for the brown bricks or those silly teddy bears? Sorry, I just don't see the appeal or potential in this set.

I thought the same about it at first until I built one. It's a great display piece and unlike AoH is the flagship of a scene that other sets compliment rather than being a combination of existing sets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I hope no offence caused but, I can't invest in anything that doesn't give me mojo ;-)

Let´s face it, SW is a bunch of self important tripe with no logical beginning or conclusion and is just a big commercial barrel that is being scraped and refilled with ever more rancid milk. Fast and Furious for Sci Fi geeks.

Exactly because of that, it is a collector´s goldmine and literally anything OT is/has or will be worth something to someone at some stage.

You´d have to be out of your mind to pay 5000 euros for a bunch of plastic just because it resembles some sort of flying saucer  with a salt shaker for a cockpit but people do.

This is Olivia´s treehouse for grown-ups with too many notes in their pockets so I say it will do just as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

All opinions are allowed, as I say I felt the same until I built it. I follow a similar philosophy to you.  If i don't like a set, i won't invest. 

I think the majority of us here follow that philosophy, assuming that if you like a set / have a good feeling about it, then others (future buyers) will feel the same way about it too.

That being said, I think the Ewok Village is a brilliant set. Highly detailed, both playable and displayable, instantly recognisable to anyone who has seen Star Wars Episode VI, and as said above: a core set that other Episode VI sets can be grouped around to expand the display. Sets like the Shuttle Tydirium and the AT-ST for example...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Haay said:

I think the majority of us here follow that philosophy, assuming that if you like a set / have a good feeling about it, then others (future buyers) will feel the same way about it too.

Slightly OT but on this vein I won't be purchasing any of the Architecture Skyline sets for investment. New York and Venice are dire.