10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

1 minute ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

EV is good but it's not 10188. I still stand by my statement from yesterday. Lego will more likely shut down other UCS playsets to force sales towards AoH.

That would be like Porsche buying Lada, then shutting down production of the 911, to push sales of the newest Lada, counter intuitive to say the least. It's more likely Lego get rid of EV, because there isn't shelf space for both.

Do Lada still even exist, haven't heard any mention of them in years?

• Like 3

Autovaz, the parent company still exists and they have an agreement with Renault to provide technology. They still race Lada Vestas in the World Touring Championship.

EV is done this year, 99% certain - same as Red 5 last year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

That would be like Porsche buying Lada, then shutting down production of the 911, to push sales of the newest Lada, counter intuitive to say the least. It's more likely Lego get rid of EV, because there isn't shelf space for both.

In our eyes i get what you're trying to say but it's not like that at all.  They are both big lego playsets, one much worse than the other but left with fewer options people will still buy it.

It's more like Porsche releasing a new 911 variant more economical and greener but with less performance that other variants in the current range.  So they pull those variants so if customers want a porsche 911 they have no choice but to accept the new but inferior model. 

• Like 1

The 1 in 1 out rule also works and this is proven with both playsets and exclusives year on year. If Lego are indeed releasing 2 or 3 large exclusive SW sets this year then we can expect a similar amount of retirements or the range becomes impossible too bloated. Bet on EV and SC disappearing with Slave possibly surviving another year or two.

With 11 exclusives expected this year in general, we should also expect a larger number of retirements than last year and sets like T1,PS and  TB should now be ready to bite the dust - or not.

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Autovaz, the parent company still exists and they have an agreement with Renault to provide technology. They still race Lada Vestas in the World Touring Championship.

EV is done this year, 99% certain - same as Red 5 last year.

I tend to agree on the EV, I'm going to try and pick a few more up in Smyths in September when they have their 20% off everything sale.

3 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

It's more like Porsche releasing a new 911 variant more economical and greener but with less performance that other variants in the current range.  So they pull those variants so if customers want a porsche 911 they have no choice but to accept the new but inferior model. 

Or the alternative is Porsche quickly realise they've screwed up and dump the new model at the earliest possible moment. I'm not disagreeing on EV going this year btw, just the why of it.

Just now, Sprocket77 said:

I tend to agree on the EV, I'm going to try and pick a few more up in Smyths in September when they have their 20% off everything sale.

Or the alternative is Porsche quickly realise they've screwed up and dump the new model at the earliest possible moment. I'm not disagreeing on EV going this year btw, just the why of it.

It would have to be a very dire situation for a company to do that. Because someone has to stand up and say we spent x amount on developing a new product but actually our old one was better. You won't find many management structures that allow that to happen.

If lego is my company I shut down other large playsets before Christmas to increase AoH demand and stop the new product from tanking.

Just now, Fenix_2k1 said:

It would have to be a very dire situation for a company to do that. Because someone has to stand up and say we spent x amount on developing a new product but actually our old one was better. You won't find many management structures that allow that to happen.

If lego is my company I shut down other large playsets before Christmas to increase AoH demand and stop the new product from tanking.

Lego have done that before though I think, can't remember exactly what sets. They're a private company so have a bit more flexibility to do this, where as a public quoted company would be less likely because it would be a direct stain on the boards reputation and god forbid that could happen.

On May 9, 2016 at 8:05 PM, pete411 said:

Clearly the last production run? They'll keep making them as long as you buy 5 and 2.

We'll c. I just don't believe the Lego Group's production scheduled gets changed because of last minute increased purchasig of a certain set. That would be a nightmare to manage production that way and would delay the production of future (new) sets. Or maybe that is exactky how the release of 75098 Assault on Hoth came about. That that would be pretty bad is that were the reasoning

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dr. Brick said:

We'll c. I just don't believe the Lego Group's production scheduled gets changed because of last minute increased purchasig of a certain set. That would be a nightmare to manage production that way and would delay the production of future (new) sets. Or maybe that is exactky how the release of 75098 Assault on Hoth came about. That that would be pretty bad is that were the reasoning

This is exactly my reasoning.  I know people speculate that a sudden uptick in sales as the horde starts to buy in on sets that they believe are close to life extends productions runs is quite frequently done.  But i just don't buy it.

Said it before but these decisions are probably made months in advance and that info (uptick in sales) just wont filter back up to the decision makers quick enough.
managing this on the fly would be very problematic and make profit/sales forecasts difficult and well as base material sourcing a nightmare if you didn't even have a defined production schedule. Even if that means only forecasting 6 months out.

31 minutes ago, mattyman said:

Just noticed limits gone up to 5 now for most of the exclusives at LEGO Shop at Home.  Lego ramping up production on these.  Only exception is that assult on Hoth gone down to 1 (was limit of 2 previously).

Thats intresting, i dont think i have seen any hard to find products at a limit of 5 since september. Maybe TLG has decided that people with 5 children deserve the right to be able to buy 5 ewok villages etc, without being banned.

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 1

More likely that sales aren't on track and by upping buying limits this increases their potential buyers market and ultimately this increase sales. The recent increase from 1 to 2 has probably worked and they saw an uptick predominantly driven by the reseller community and by raising three limits again they'd hope that they get a few more sales from those same people who reacted. Ultimately they're a business and sales, revenues, and ultimately net income are important and the CEO is ultimately accountable to the Kristiansens who hold the controlling interest. Remember they had a record breaking year and to match that, never mind exceed that will be difficult. Hopefully they will now recognise that the reseller community, albeit a small one as a percentage of their overall market is nonetheless an important market segment and thus, they should factor in what drives the reseller market as part of their overall strategy.

1 minute ago, LahH001 said:

Ultimately they're a business and sales, revenues, and ultimately net income and accountable to the Kristiansens who hold the controlling interest. Remember they had a record breaking year and to match that, never mind exceed that will be difficult.

I  misread that as accountable to the Kardashians and thought what have those pr##ks got to do with Lego. My bad :scratchhead:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LahH001 said:

More likely that sales aren't on track and by upping buying limits this increases their potential buyers market and ultimately this increase sales. The recent increase from 1 to 2 has probably worked and they saw an uptick predominantly driven by the reseller community and by raising three limits again they'd hope that they get a few more sales from those same people who reacted. Ultimately they're a business and sales, revenues, and ultimately net income are important and the CEO is ultimately accountable to the Kristiansens who hold the controlling interest. Remember they had a record breaking year and to match that, never mind exceed that will be difficult. Hopefully they will now recognise that the reseller community, albeit a small one as a percentage of their overall market is nonetheless an important market segment and thus, they should factor in what drives the reseller market as part of their overall strategy.

In my mind it is even simpler: During busy times they drop the limit to a low number, as they want to serve as many wanting customers as they can. During slow-times they raise the limit to get higher sales volume from a lower number of buyers. Come time for the next promo or buying season and those limits will go down again.

Edited by Phil B
oops ... sellers -> buyers
  • Like 3

On May 10, 2016 at 4:22 AM, Sprocket77 said:

Lada was bought by the Volkswagen group 20+ years ago, around the same time they bought Skoda

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Brick said:

Lada was bought by the Volkswagen group 20+ years ago, around the same time they bought Skoda

No they weren´t! Maybe confused with SEAT. Lada´s parent company is now a joint venture between Russia and the Renault group.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Val-E said:

No they weren´t! Maybe confused with SEAT. Lada´s parent company is now a joint venture between Russia and the Renault group.

Oh yeah, forgot about Seat. The French and Russians building cars together, that could be interesting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So this set has now overtaken SSD for the number 2 spot in longest available UCS/large SW set at retail (still a long way behind DS).  Doesn;t really add much to the thread (just making an observation).

I still don't think this one is as hoarded as the availability might have you believe.  Its not the tumbler and honestly until you've seen it built (and this could be a point that holds it back) I don't think people really appreciate how EPIC this set is.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

So this set has now overtaken SSD for the number 2 spot in longest available UCS/large SW set at retail (still a long way behind DS).  Doesn;t really add much to the thread (just making an observation).

I still don't think this one is as hoarded as the availability might have you believe.  Its not the tumbler and honestly until you've seen it built (and this could be a point that holds it back) I don't think people really appreciate how EPIC this set is.

Wait till Q4 and the last minute rush

• 4 weeks later...

So I don't see this set on store shelves but they do still have it in stock online from LSH, Walmart, and Target. Can anyone confirm or deny this? 

Also reasons I see this set doing well after its very late retirement: 

-Iconic and not ever seen in lego before, I would say this is LIKE the Cloud City set in the sense that it is the only one in lego. 

-The prints and molds are pretty exclusive to this sit for the minifigs, especially princess leia's hair mold I believe. 

-So much playability. I personally have my own combined with the endor base from 2009 and the speeder bike set with luke from early 2000. 

Let me know what you guys agree or disagree on or if you had any points to add. (:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2016 at 2:22 PM, AZNSalinas96 said:

So I don't see this set on store shelves but they do still have it in stock online from LSH, Walmart, and Target. Can anyone confirm or deny this? 

Also reasons I see this set doing well after its very late retirement: 

-Iconic and not ever seen in lego before, I would say this is LIKE the Cloud City set in the sense that it is the only one in lego. 

-The prints and molds are pretty exclusive to this sit for the minifigs, especially princess leia's hair mold I believe. 

-So much playability. I personally have my own combined with the endor base from 2009 and the speeder bike set with luke from early 2000. 

Let me know what you guys agree or disagree on or if you had any points to add. (:

Totally agree on your points about this set being unique and special.

I do however seem to remember that the Princess Leia Hair was used before this figure for a CMF figure. In fact, i seem to remember people noticing it in the CMF, and predicting (correctly) that it would soon be used for a princess leia, (which it was).

• Like 1