10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

Guest TabbyBoy

In that case, I'll avoid anything with "B" in the code like the plague. Sorry but, I've yet to see any "quality" product made in China that meets my exacting standards. Nevertheless, I'll not be buying any Ewok Villages and I think a lot of people may get burned if they buy these in quantity but, that's just me (the person that bought hundreds of Mars Rovers & Research Institiutes).

2 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

What exactly are you worried about?  

Specifically I was talking about the whole 'focus on playing philosophy' people were talking about in the hoth ucs thread. I think most Star Wars collectors would prefer a set that has zero play value but is fun to build and looks really nice on display.

Specifically I was talking about the whole 'focus on playing philosophy' people were talking about in the hoth ucs thread. I think most Star Wars collectors would prefer a set that has zero play value but is fun to build and looks really nice on display.

I think folks will disagree with you. People are disappointed because that Hoth set is a letdown. Little value for $250. Expense sets (UCS or not) have been cut above the cheaper sets. The EV (as a whole) is night and day better than any previous Ewok. Collectors had the same expectations for the Hoth set.

It is what it is. Being worried for playability is something pointless. EV is a playing set but none of us would have complained about it if it had been labeled as a UCS set simply because it is actually a good set. Display beautifulness does not mean 0 playability. There are few compromises here that could work with what LEGO does want to do in the future.

9 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

I think folks will disagree with you.

Perhaps. A balance between play- and display value is best imo. However, one of the main qualities that make a UCS set is that they tend to look nicer than the standard sets. I think EV has that quality, while the new Hoth set does not. It's basically just a combination of some other sets, like people pointed out in the other thread.

Edited by c_rpg

Perhaps. A balance between play- and display value is best imo. However, one of the main qualities that make a UCS set is that they tend to look nicer than the standard sets. I think EV has that quality, while the new Hoth set does not. It's basically just a combination of some other sets, like people pointed out in the other thread.

I was updating my post while you were replying.

8 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

I was updating my post while you were replying.

Oops. Well, I just hope the next UCS set does not follow this trend and the quality is up to UCS level. 250$ is not cheap, but I'm sure they will sell a ton anyway :pardon:

It does seem likely that this will replace EV, right?

3 hours ago, c_rpg said:

Oops. Well, I just hope the next UCS set does not follow this trend and the quality is up to UCS level. 250$ is not cheap, but I'm sure they will sell a ton anyway :pardon:

It does seem likely that this will replace EV, right?

I cant believe how good the rrp for EV is now I've seen the Hoth set.  One way to generate more sales for Hoth would be retire its closes competitor (which I have to believe is EV) so likely this one is on its way out.  That said i still think its around for the next 6 months of reasonable availability before production is wound down at the end of the year.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Lego_Yoda said:

I cant believe how good the rrp for EV is now I've seen the Hoth set.  One way to generate more sales for Hoth would be retire its closes competitor (which I have to believe is EV) so likely this one is on its way out.  That said i still think its around for the next 6 months of reasonable availability before production is wound down at the end of the year.

Yeah, Assault on Hoth looks like a total mess/miss compared to Ewok Village. As a set EV in itself is coherent. If seen next to each other in store EV should easily come out ahead unless you're allergic to ewoks.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2016 at 11:45 PM, TabbyBoy said:

In that case, I'll avoid anything with "B" in the code like the plague. Sorry but, I've yet to see any "quality" product made in China that meets my exacting standards. Nevertheless, I'll not be buying any Ewok Villages and I think a lot of people may get burned if they buy these in quantity but, that's just me (the person that bought hundreds of Mars Rovers & Research Institiutes).

Iphones and almost all other smartphones are made in china.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/2/2016 at 10:41 AM, chipbee said:

Iphones and almost all other smartphones are made in china.

not from a chiness company. no... theyre just labor, they don't own design nothing at all .. just copying in a crappy way quality products, which are not chiness

Edited by TargetZero

On 27/02/2016 at 9:52 PM, TargetZero said:

not from a chiness company. no... theyre just labor, they don't own design nothing at all .. just copying in a crappy way quality products, which are not chiness

TabbyBoy's post was slating Chinese manufacturing. Subsequent rebuttals concern this, not design.