10236 - UCS: Ewok Village

emazers

Ive seen these available at the local B&M stores. Not sure if I should pick a cpl more up. Boxes weren't minty and thats always a deterrent for me.

A little ding or sent won't hurt the price. People buying these in the future for hundreds of dollars won't keep them sealed. They will buss it open and build that bad boy. For me it's the seals. If the seals are intact and solid, the rest of the box having blemishes isn't a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A little ding or sent won't hurt the price. People buying these in the future for hundreds of dollars won't keep them sealed. They will buss it open and build that bad boy. For me it's the seals. If the seals are intact and solid, the rest of the box having blemishes isn't a problem.

That's something I don't get... If I open the box to verify the contents (in sealed bags) what's the deal?

That's something I don't get... If I open the box to verify the contents (in sealed bags) what's the deal?

Because once the box is opened there is a risk of not all bags being included, or otherwise being tampered with the contents. The intact seals guarantee the content of the box is original.

Because once the box is opened there is a risk of not all bags being included, or otherwise being tampered with the contents. The intact seals guarantee the content of the box is original.

Yes but if I verify the contents by taking out the sealed bags what's the difference? Verifying the contents = all bags ARE included.

My example: Taking out all of the sealed totally unopened bags and taking a picture of them (so you can see that everything is there).

Sometimes you buy from other resellers and cannot be sure if everything is there, especially if the box is ruined or the seals are NOT intact.

So how is it different having all the contents (sealed) laid out infront of me to having the box sealed?

Exactly. People are not always logical and often let emotions cloud their rational thinking. There's something special about the feeling of 'being the person who opens the box for the first time since it left the factory'. It's an emotion that beats other rational factors.

Of course it really depends on what the buyer wants to do with the set. Taking myself as an example: if I buy a set with the intention to sell it again for a profit sometime in the future, then I want a MISB set. On the other hand, if I plan to open the box anyway because I want to build it myself, then I only care that the set is complete and in good condition. An opened box with sealed bags will be fine for me in that case.

• Like 1

For some reason it's easier to be confident in Lego's ability to correctly sort and box the set than the honest helpful seller who verifies that Lego didn't miss a bag out of your set!

As a seller this is annoying, as it will be your problem when a buyer cuts the seals on his minty fresh £200-300 set, and finds the manufacturer missed out a bag. However, this kind of thing comes with the territory of making large mark ups on plastic bricks

As a buyer, if I'm buying something retired that has to come from ebay, I would prefer open box, sealed bags.  I know ebay/paypal protect the buyer, but if I'm building, I don't care if the seals are present not.  More importantly, I know that the parts are new and not breathed on wrong.(name that movie)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, intact seals guarantee nothing.

Of course! You know that. I know that. And I assume all BPers know that.

It's true for any kind of building set, whether it's Lego, Revell model kits, or IKEA furniture. Mistakes do get made in the factory when packing up all the needed materials, and some times it just happens the box is incomplete. 

But casual Lego builders often live with the assumption that the factory sealed box will be 100% complete, and we are happy to provide them the sealed boxes when we're reselling them. :derisive:

I always have that lingering fear that one day I'll sell something (sealed and 100% superdupanew) and somebody tells me parts have been missing he wants to refund...

Either way there is this paranoia about people who want to screw me as seller and I can't do anything because it is almost impossible to proof you've done everything correctly and they are the ones screwing you.

I always have that lingering fear that one day I'll sell something (sealed and 100% superdupanew) and somebody tells me parts have been missing he wants to refund...

Either way there is this paranoia about people who want to screw me as seller and I can't do anything because it is almost impossible to proof you've done everything correctly and they are the ones screwing you.

I think that's the paranoia we all have here, as sellers. But even so, if a set is MISB, then when the buyer opens the box and finds something missing, they'll have to contact LEGO about it to get missing parts that way. Would be exactly the same if they had bought the set from a B&M toy store, or from a LEGO store directly. 

Last month I opened a Mini Cooper set and started building it. While building I noticed that one piece was wrong. According to the parts list there should be (amongst others) 6 black radiator grilles and 8 silver radiator grilles. But in my set there were 7 black and 7 silver radiator grilles! So I contacted customer service about it, and a few weeks later I received the missing 1 silver radiator grille in the mail and I could finish the model. :-)

I think that's the paranoia we all have here, as sellers. But even so, if a set is MISB, then when the buyer opens the box and finds something missing, they'll have to contact LEGO about it to get missing parts that way. Would be exactly the same if they had bought the set from a B&M toy store, or from a LEGO store directly. 

Last month I opened a Mini Cooper set and started building it. While building I noticed that one piece was wrong. According to the parts list there should be (amongst others) 6 black radiator grilles and 8 silver radiator grilles. But in my set there were 7 black and 7 silver radiator grilles! So I contacted customer service about it, and a few weeks later I received the missing 1 silver radiator grille in the mail and I could finish the model. :-)

HAVE to contact Lego? No. They can return or exchange it at a store...If you're the seller, you are responsible for the contents of the item you're selling...

Sometimes it's not just a piece or two. Sometimes it's a an entire bag...