Updated Review Features/Editor and Review Contest!

I'm relatively new to the site having only posted once, but I have been starting to upload sets I have into my Brickfolio and getting a better feel for how this site works. I am just trying to understand how I can go about writing reviews for sets that have not been previously reviewed? I've been trying to figure this out for half an hour now, so I figured this might be the appropriate thread to ask this question. Thanks, Steve

People have stopped writing reviews to do EC articles. I'm toasty toast... :(

All content is counted. It is a review contest...remember that. Reviews are huge now that Jeff has added the new review section to the Price/Set Guide page.

I also love how my reviews are right there to draw in readers!! Can we have another review contest, but instead of you guys choosing the winners, we let the members vote for their favorite. I think Ed said they are going to have a "people's choice" award. See link below.

http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/3406/P165/#38729

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to refer to. Thanks for finding the original post, Quacs.

Here is what Ed said.

we will present the work of the remaining TOP 13 Reviewers to the BrickPicker community and everyone will get to vote on it. The original 3 winners will get their prizes and not be involved in this competition. It's like a another 3rd place prize. Maybe we will give away a B-Wing if we ever get them.

I also love how my reviews are right there to draw in readers!! Can we have another review contest, but instead of you guys choosing the winners, we let the members vote for their favorite.

I think Ed said they are going to have a "people's choice" award. See link below.

http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/3406/P165/#38729

Hmmm..... interesting.

This whole "content contest" has provided us with some tremendous articles and reviews. While I cannot promise everyone winning a prize, what I can promise is that people who provide us with serious content will get something. The prizes can be added to very easily. There will be a "Member's Choice" award in addition to the TOP 3 and the HONORARY MENTION awards, but like I stated earlier, the "Member's Choice" award cannot be won by the TOP 3. As the contest continues, I will have a better feel for which members really earned a prize.

We have a long way to go and I cannot promise that all the content will be available to view before the contest ends. The EC articles and Blogs take some time to convert to HTML format and we need to get Brick Classifieds up and running. Also, some of these articles are excellent and we don't want to publish all at one time because they will get lost in the shuffle. What I can assure all of you is that Jeff and I will take all the content into consideration and will ask for honest opinions from the Mods on who the winners should be.

So don't stop producing reviews and articles, we still have a long way to go...

Guest eightbrick

This whole "content contest" has provided us with some tremendous articles and reviews. While I cannot promise everyone winning a prize, what I can promise is that people who provide us with serious content will get something. The prizes can be added to very easily. There will be a "Member's Choice" award in addition to the TOP 3 and the HONORARY MENTION awards, but like I stated earlier, the "Member's Choice" award cannot be won by the TOP 3. As the contest continues, I will have a better feel for which members really earned a prize.

We have a long way to go and I cannot promise that all the content will be available to view before the contest ends. The EC articles and Blogs take some time to convert to HTML format and we need to get Brick Classifieds up and running. Also, some of these articles are excellent and we don't want to publish all at one time because they will get lost in the shuffle. What I can assure all of you is that Jeff and I will take all the content into consideration and will ask for honest opinions from the Mods on who the winners should be.

So don't stop producing reviews and articles, we still have a long way to go...

Is there a way we can write the articles in this HTML format so you don't have to change them?

On a somewhat unrelated note, when I tried to edit a review I'm working on there are these < p > things everywhere... is this a problem?

I'm relatively new to the site having only posted once, but I have been starting to upload sets I have into my Brickfolio and getting a better feel for how this site works. I am just trying to understand how I can go about writing reviews for sets that have not been previously reviewed? I've been trying to figure this out for half an hour now, so I figured this might be the appropriate thread to ask this question. Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to Brick Picker! It looks like your question may have gotten lost in the shuffle, so I'll take a stab and answering it.

To submit a review for consideration, you look the set up in the Price Guide, then go down the page to the section called "SET RATING AND MEMBER REVIEWS". There is a link there to the form you need to fill out. The form has several sections, and instructions to guide you as to what kind of information they're looking for. It's probably also a good idea to read several recent reviews to get a feel for it. The format was changed recently, so make sure you look at reviews that have been written in the last couple of weeks.

I hope that helps! :)

Guest eightbrick

That comes from someone who has more than double my number of reviews lol ;)

STOP IT BOTH OF YOU, YOURE MAKING ME FEEL INADEQUATE!

lol my family is trying to cut down mah computer time so this past 4 day weekend brought... nothing. :(

Even if I did a review a day I wouldn't be able to catch up to you mikeur86...

Ed or Jeff, Would it be possible to add a "******/A" option to the "Exclusivity" tab in the review section. I find myself just rating a 5 most of the time when a set isn't exclusive but that really hurts the overall score when this doesn't apply. So then I started changing it to the average score of the rest of the sections. For example, if I am rating all the other sections as 7-9 I will rate Exclusivity as an 8. But it would be better to just have a ******/A option so its not counted. Of course, I realize that this may take a lot of work to change and if that is the case then feel free to laugh at my post and I'll go cry in the corner :-P

Guest eightbrick

After the contest is over, will you still be handing out ten BP per thousand characters in reviews? I'm probably the only person who will keep doing them, and I'm in it for the BP as much as the prizes!

They probably will continue to hand out ten BP per 1000 characters as after the contest has ended people will need extra incentive to continue writing reviews.

Ed or Jeff,

Would it be possible to add a "N/A" option to the "Exclusivity" tab in the review section. I find myself just rating a 5 most of the time when a set isn't exclusive but that really hurts the overall score when this doesn't apply. So then I started changing it to the average score of the rest of the sections. For example, if I am rating all the other sections as 7-9 I will rate Exclusivity as an 8. But it would be better to just have a N/A option so its not counted.

Of course, I realize that this may take a lot of work to change and if that is the case then feel free to laugh at my post and I'll go cry in the corner :-P

But it does apply. An average LEGO set and category should get a 4, 5, or 6 rating. There is no perfect LEGO set, with maybe the exception of the 10179. Most LEGO sets should not rank and 8, 9 or 10. A 6 or 7 is a solid LEGO set IMO.