41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

So I decided that the only way I could make a change in the market and possibly drive up the price of this set is by blowing up one of my crawlers ... Making it only 19,999 worldwide... Bad idea?

Yeeeah, I think that would be a very bad idea. Now it would make some interesting footage if recorded in slow motion though. Still I'd advise against it. Not like anyone else is going to think "oh right, there is only 19,999 left in the world cause some guy just blew the living crap out of his!" :laugh:

Yeeeah, I think that would be a very bad idea. Now it would make some interesting footage if recorded in slow motion though. Still I'd advise against it. Not like anyone else is going to think "oh right, there is only 19,999 left in the world cause some guy just blew the living crap out of his!" :laugh:

:) maybe the video will go viral... You never know. Could end up making my money back through YouTube.. Sounds like a job for the go-pro camera!

The two stores in Maryland are only twenty min. apart and had the crawlers falling out the back room

Considering that I picked up four in Annapolis and left four there, two from Tysons that were replenished by staff immediately, and the rest at Arundel yeah, I'd say they are falling out of the back rooms. Oh yeah two from LEGO Shop at Home.

• Like 1

What is up with TLG's distribution on this set? You guys up north are getting like 35 per store. There are 3 stores in houston and i doubt they got that many total. My closest store says they got 12 on the first round and 0 (zero!) the second round. Shenanigans!

Too many resellers down south? :punish:

tee hee

I think its just plain silly to think that a limited edition set as epic as the crawler will be worth more that a set that is just OK (tower bridge) and was mass produced. Just my opinion.

?? So are you saying that the TB will be more valuable? Or the 41999? Or is that sarcasm that I hear? I hope that they are both worth a nice chunk.

Guest TabbyBoy

?? So are you saying that the TB will be more valuable? Or the 41999? Or is that sarcasm that I hear? I hope that they are both worth a nice chunk.

41999 will totally trump 10214 in many years to come I think.  41999 has doubled now and TB will take a couple more years provided it's EOL'd by then.

I wonder what the reaction will be around here if more of these ever show up.

That might be the last straw, added to promo limitations, coupon exclusions, wishy-washy policies, buying limits, bans, SDCC exclusives, etc.

I would consider finding something else to do. If TLG is so intent on culling resellers, I wonder if they'll miss consumers, too?

I should have added that mine was a quote from the great Dr. Peter Venckman. I forget that not everyone is a child of the 80's!

Love the picture of the dog and the cat...the way the dog is lying there and the cat is sitting makes me laugh! They look so relaxed!

That's BrickBabe's doggy and new kitten!!!

That might be the last straw, added to promo limitations, coupon exclusions, wishy-washy policies, buying limits, bans, SDCC exclusives, etc.

I would consider finding something else to do. If TLG is so intent on culling resellers, I wonder if they'll miss consumers, too?

With all due respect, I doubt that it will have any affect at all.  In the year 2012, there were 702 different items that LEGO sold to the general public.  So far in 2103, there are 603 different items LEGO sold to the general buying public.  You cannot tell me that a handful of "butt hurt" resellers will have any affect on LEGO's bottom line if more 41999s made it to the shelves.  As a matter of fact, it will only help customer relations because LEGO will appear to be getting more of this sets out to the buying public.

LEGO is releasing more and more sets with each passing year.  Going back about 10 years ago, LEGO released 415 sets and items in 2003 in comparison to 702 last year.  As a LEGO reseller and investor, you have many more options...more than most resellers and investors can take advantage of.  Many people want to pimp the obvious big ticket sets on this site and will cry foul when LEGO wants to put restrictions on them, but the truly savvy LEGO investor won't bother in the obvious and will score big dollars on less talked about sets.  

When push comes to shove, I would bet that most people have very limited investment dollars to spend and limiting buyers to two exclusive sets will affect only a handful on the site.  There are a multitude of excellent LEGO investment sets and most are never discussed on this site.  Even a big time investor can get by with buying only 2-3 exclusive LEGO sets at a time because there are so many new sets released each year that will appreciate well if given the chance.  

I do not know whether or not there will be more 41999s released, but it is quite possible.  A pre-XMAS release would be a huge winner for LEGO and many fans, but for the long term LEGO investor, it really is much ado about nothing...

• Like 2

With all due respect, I doubt that it will have any affect at all.  In the year 2012, there were 702 different items that LEGO sold to the general public.  So far in 2103, there are 603 different items LEGO sold to the general buying public.  You cannot tell me that a handful of "butt hurt" resellers will have any affect on LEGO's bottom line if more 41999s made it to the shelves.  As a matter of fact, it will only help customer relations because LEGO will appear to be getting more of this sets out to the buying public.

LEGO is releasing more and more sets with each passing year.  Going back about 10 years ago, LEGO released 415 sets and items in 2003 in comparison to 702 last year.  As a LEGO reseller and investor, you have many more options...more than most resellers and investors can take advantage of.  Many people want to pimp the obvious big ticket sets on this site and will cry foul when LEGO wants to put restrictions on them, but the truly savvy LEGO investor won't bother in the obvious and will score big dollars on less talked about sets.  

When push comes to shove, I would bet that most people have very limited investment dollars to spend and limiting buyers to two exclusive sets will affect only a handful on the site.  There are a multitude of excellent LEGO investment sets and most are never discussed on this site.  Even a big time investor can get by with buying only 2-3 exclusive LEGO sets at a time because there are so many new sets released each year that will appreciate well if given the chance.  

I do not know whether or not there will be more 41999s released, but it is quite possible.  A pre-XMAS release would be a huge winner for LEGO and many fans, but for the long term LEGO investor, it really is much ado about nothing...

I tend to agree with this. And I also like the phrase "butt hurt". And I think Lego wants resellers to consider something else to do.

The only thing I will say for the other side is that some of this type of stuff can start to bother normal consumers as well - mainly the exclusives coupon issue, the whole rigged giveaways, the limits on exclusives in store, etc.  And on top of this all of the scams and everything that are becoming more and more prevalent.

So really my feeling on it is - I don't have any problem with what they do to try to stop the reseller, but I hope they don't make decisions that would go against the normal consumers because we need them to keep growing. I put the coupon issue in that corner. Because I don't see at all how that hurts resellers. Now if they come out and actually have a consistent policy with consistent wording that doesn't sound like a load of local manager BS, maybe its a different story.