41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

BricksR4Kids, did they ask for all your i.d.s, or just yours? And did you guys go in there as a posse, or pretend not to know each other?

They checked mine and once they realized i wasnt local they let all of us go.. the lego police then told us due to resellers ...cough cough.. they were keeping track of local sales. I pretended to be shocked and told them I had two after I cashed out. The look was priceless .. As if he really thought Santa was real...told him I had two boys , which I do. Gave me a smirk and went on living life.

Thx for this :) managed to get down here and grab em with my buds! They did ask for my VIP card and I declined . Also asked for my I.d. And they crossed checked it with a list .... Weird.

On a side note I think it's crazy to sell all your crawlers for a 2200 dollar profit.. I think the hh and tower bridge won't come close to this set for at least 3-4 years... ... Those sets will do well over a longer term I think. This crawler has been an instant hit since it appeared and shows no legit sign of decline. Scammers may detour some new buyers but that's ok, casualties of war . Plus think of all the 200 dollar sets we have in our inventory that are currently available ....and are massed produced. I see this set hitting 600 next year easy. Different strokes for different folks :)

It is a different school of thought - but here is what I wonder about this set:

What is the highest any Technic set has ever gone to? $400? I don't know, just asking.  In general we don't know how many hardcore technic investors are out there. With how many of these have been stashed away, are there enough people who wouldn't have already bought one on release day that would spend $600 on this set? Yes, it jumped very high early, but its possible this set will always sit around $400 because there aren't a lot of buyers willing to pay a lot more. There may be a current bubble on this set.

In general, he made $2200 really quick and invested it in something else. You are right, the HH and TB may not go that high that quick, but it has been proven that these other sets have a higher ceiling. Not sure what this one is. I hope its 5K! but who knows.

It is a different school of thought - but here is what I wonder about this set:

What is the highest any Technic set has ever gone to? $400? I don't know, just asking.  In general we don't know how many hardcore technic investors are out there. With how many of these have been stashed away, are there enough people who wouldn't have already bought one on release day that would spend $600 on this set? Yes, it jumped very high early, but its possible this set will always sit around $400 because there aren't a lot of buyers willing to pay a lot more. There may be a current bubble on this set.

In general, he made $2200 really quick and invested it in something else. You are right, the HH and TB may not go that high that quick, but it has been proven that these other sets have a higher ceiling. Not sure what this one is. I hope its 5K! but who knows.

Yep some technic sets can go for more than $400, check out 8275: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=8275-1

Yep some technic sets can go for more than $400, check out 8275: http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=8275-1

I sold all of mine and am happy to have made a nice profit for easy and fast work. My fear is the same as noted above which is the demand for this set by regular people. If all that is happening is a shift from US investors to international ones which is what seems to be happening right now as almost all of mine were also bought by international sellers I wonder what the long term market will be. Who is buying this set for $1000 in the near future? I could easily be wrong and for those holding I hope I am. I just went with the take the money and run approach.

What is the highest any Technic set has ever gone to? $400?

Yes the top Technic set is the 8275 Motorized bulldozer as Rich linked.  There are also 7 other sets over $400, but 3 of those are very old sets with 1 or 2 rogue sales so hard to include. The others have done fairly well.  8285 Tow Truck is another good one.

None of those were limited to 20k produced either, so I have strong positive thoughts for the 41999.

Have you guys been to Hong Kong? I've actually been there and man, people there must be loaded because everything is ultra expensive. iPhones were going for a grand last time I went (2yrs ago). So far the people buying my crawlers are from hk so I'm sure they'd be willing to dish out big money for them later on when it's harder to get.

Have you guys been to Hong Kong? I've actually been there and man, people there must be loaded because everything is ultra expensive. iPhones were going for a grand last time I went (2yrs ago). So far the people buying my crawlers are from hk so I'm sure they'd be willing to dish out big money for them later on when it's harder to get.

People are not necessarily loaded there. They speculate just on anything that is hot. 41999 is the perfect example going for 600-800 USD. It's quite profitable if you can find items that you can get for cheap in the US to sell there. Affordable luxury, luxury goods, and electronics are about 1 1/2 to 2 times MSRP due to duties and the huge wealth gap. After all, we live in a country with almost 300 million people selling to 7 million in HK. You can imagine how short supply it is there. There are Toys R Us and some Japanese based department stores there but mostly it's small businesses that distributes there.

I had 15 Crawlers, I was going to hold on to them but with all the scams, Lego fall catalog has the regular ones, and it seems like 60% or more people buying them are overseas investors, and I still say in 5 years 5 Haunted Houses & 5 Tower Bridges will be worth more than 10 Crawlers. So out of my 15, 10 went to one guy in the UK, and another one went to the UK, One to Japan, India and 2 in the US.

So That was a easy $2200 profit.

You had 15 Crawlers? I thought you only had 8 before....or was it 2? :scratchhead:

Guest eightbrick

You had 15 Crawlers? I thought you only had 8 before....or was it 2? :scratchhead:

Emazers is the world's best MISB breeder. You know, leave 'em in a nice room with some wine and dimmed lights... ;)

I had 15 Crawlers, I was going to hold on to them but with all the scams, Lego fall catalog has the regular ones, and it seems like 60% or more people buying them are overseas investors, and I still say in 5 years 5 Haunted Houses & 5 Tower Bridges will be worth more than 10 Crawlers. So out of my 15, 10 went to one guy in the UK, and another one went to the UK, One to Japan, India and 2 in the US.

So That was a easy $2200 profit.

I did only have 8, but when Lego got them back in stock I went to 2 Lego stores Morning and evening and I got 7 More.

It's amazing how the Lego gods are always watching down on you from the heavens and providing you will such perfect timed store visits and enable you to get 15 Crawlers which you never liked.  I guess you can buy another 12 or more Haunted Houses.

I did only have 8, but when Lego got them back in stock I went to 2 Lego stores Morning and evening and I got 7 More.

I had filed that idea away if I needed it in future (basically making sure there's a complete shift change between purchases) - thanks for reminding me of this, might need it with pick a brick cups this fall.  :thumbsup:

I never said I didn't think the 41999 was not a good investment, I said in 5 years I think 5 Haunted Houses and 5 Tower Bridges will do better than 10 Crawlers, and I still think that. Now I hope all 3 are all selling for $600 and up. Believe it or not I am trying to help you guys make money, everything I tell you guys to buy I am buying many more.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I've sold 3, and have 8 more. I live in the same general area as emazers and have picked up all of mine at the same Lego stores he shops at. Each time I purchased a couple there were always more on the shelves.I'm not really sure why some of you feel the need to doubt him.

The two stores in Maryland are only twenty min. apart and had the crawlers falling out the back room

So I decided that the only way I could make a change in the market and possibly drive up the price of this set is by blowing up one of my crawlers ... Making it only 19,999 worldwide... Bad idea?

This set pretty much brought me out of my technic dark ages. I think any big lego fan will eventually want to own this set and will pay over thousand for it. Most of the buyers now have to be investors... Hoarders collectors you know... But with such short supply of 19,999 this set will keep soaring in price. I plan on buying as many as I can under 400 because I read the future and Once the rest of the world sees this set, i will see my money doubling tripling etc. I'm also a huge believer on investing on things I wouldn't mind getting stuck with.

The ****.****. Will be huge in 5 years no doubt, But I sold all my towers bridges and epic dragons to buy my crawlers. I don't see the TB ever being anything close as the taj or Eiffel Tower IMO it's a pretty lame set. I will buy a few later on for the sake of having them for customers. Crawler fever continues only 40 days after release !