41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Its like there stealing my money.

Unfortunately you picked the wrong time to start selling on ebay. Five years ago it was an awesome experience. Now you are hostage to dishonest buyers who all have 100% positive feedback because as a seller you are not allowed to give negative or neutral feedback. As a new seller you will have a huge target on your head for these buyers. Never give a partial refund as word will spread you are an easy mark and you will get hounded forever more. If they try the partial refund scam ask them to send pictures of the damage and tell them you will be happy to refund the item once they return it. Never refund until you have the item in your possession. Never open the returned package at home once you receive it. Take it to the post office and have the clerk open it for you. If the clerk will not ask for the manager on duty. He will open it for you. Another common scam is the buyer sending back something other than your item (rocks, bricks, newspapers etc). If this happens have the manager make a report and alert the postmaster general's office and hopefully the buyer will go to prison for mail fraud.

Just make sure to cover your behind in every instance. Hopefully if you ask for pics and do not offer a partial refund the scammer buyer will just slink away. Make sure to put them on your block list immediately. Enjoy!

Unfortunately you picked the wrong time to start selling on ebay. Five years ago it was an awesome experience. Now you are hostage to dishonest buyers who all have 100% positive feedback because as a seller you are not allowed to give negative or neutral feedback. As a new seller you will have a huge target on your head for these buyers. Never give a partial refund as word will spread you are an easy mark and you will get hounded forever more. If they try the partial refund scam ask them to send pictures of the damage and tell them you will be happy to refund the item once they return it. Never refund until you have the item in your possession. Never open the returned package at home once you receive it. Take it to the post office and have the clerk open it for you. If the clerk will not ask for the manager on duty. He will open it for you. Another common scam is the buyer sending back something other than your item (rocks, bricks, newspapers etc). If this happens have the manager make a report and alert the postmaster general's office and hopefully the buyer will go to prison for mail fraud.

Just make sure to cover your behind in every instance. Hopefully if you ask for pics and do not offer a partial refund the scammer buyer will just slink away. Make sure to put them on your block list immediately. Enjoy!

To avoid this issue, I started out selling smaller items, more in the range of $20-80.  Now that I have around 50 reviews, I am breaking into the bigger box items.

Guest TabbyBoy

You can still make negative feedback stand out on a buyer's profile eg:

***** NEGATIVE FEEDBACK ***** Buyer is a scammer and cannot be trusted - AVOID and BLOCK !!!

When I sell my two I just plan on having good photos of the current box condition but also stating that the auction is for the contents and box condition is not guaranteed. I may sell it for less than others but I want to avoid a scam. I will package it very well and hopefully I won't have any problems.

If you are around the SF Bay Area, the Lego store in Stoneridge Mall (Pleasanton, Calif) has a few on the shelf this afternoon. 

Btw, you might want to bring a friend with you just in case because they may refuse to sell to you if their system shows that you have purchased one crawler before.  

• Like 1

I had 15 Crawlers, I was going to hold on to them but with all the scams, Lego fall catalog has the regular ones, and it seems like 60% or more people buying them are overseas investors, and I still say in 5 years 5 Haunted Houses & 5 Tower Bridges will be worth more than 10 Crawlers. So out of my 15, 10 went to one guy in the UK, and another one went to the UK, One to Japan, India and 2 in the US.

So That was a easy $2200 profit.

I had 15 Crawlers, I was going to hold on to them but with all the scams, Lego fall catalog has the regular ones, and it seems like 60% or more people buying them are overseas investors, and I still say in 5 years 5 Haunted Houses & 5 Tower Bridges will be worth more than 10 Crawlers. So out of my 15, 10 went to one guy in the UK, and another one went to the UK, One to Japan, India and 2 in the US.

So That was a easy $2200 profit.

Not a terrible idea. I do worry about the bubble on just this set in general. But I feel like its as good a bet as any. 

Wish we could know how many have actually been opened. I only saw one used listing on Ebay in the time since it came out - although it has obviously only been a month.

If you are around the SF Bay Area, the Lego store in Stoneridge Mall (Pleasanton, Calif) has a few on the shelf this afternoon. 

Btw, you might want to bring a friend with you just in case because they may refuse to sell to you if their system shows that you have purchased one crawler before.

Thx for this :) managed to get down here and grab em with my buds! They did ask for my VIP card and I declined . Also asked for my I.d. And they crossed checked it with a list .... Weird.

On a side note I think it's crazy to sell all your crawlers for a 2200 dollar profit.. I think the hh and tower bridge won't come close to this set for at least 3-4 years... ... Those sets will do well over a longer term I think. This crawler has been an instant hit since it appeared and shows no legit sign of decline. Scammers may detour some new buyers but that's ok, casualties of war . Plus think of all the 200 dollar sets we have in our inventory that are currently available ....and are massed produced. I see this set hitting 600 next year easy. Different strokes for different folks :)

• Like 1

Thx for this :) managed to get down here and grab em with my buds! They did ask for my VIP card and I declined . Also asked for my I.d. And they crossed checked it with a list .... Weird.

On a side note I think it's crazy to sell all your crawlers for a 2200 dollar profit.. I think the hh and tower bridge won't come close to this set for at least 3-4 years... ... Those sets will do well over a longer term I think. This crawler has been an instant hit since it appeared and shows no legit sign of decline. Scammers may detour some new buyers but that's ok, casualties of war . Plus think of all the 200 dollar sets we have in our inventory that are currently available ....and are massed produced. I see this set hitting 600 next year easy. Different strokes for different folks :)

That is hilarious that they checked your ID like you were buying liquor or beer lol. I wonder what list they were comparing your ID to? Did you ask them why you needed an ID to buy a children's toy? You should have refused to show them your ID and see what they said.