41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

It is 6:33 PST and on e-bay the only below $400. Crawlers with a "Buy It Now" are 4 a $384, a $398 a$399. and a $399.99. The rest below the $400.00 price are auctions that haven't closed yet. That's with 150 Crawler up on e-bay. Don't panic!!! The price will get higher. I'm more concerned about the bogus plate with a 41999 sticker on it.

Where did you get it??? I hope not from Lego. If anyone else gets one please post it.

I put the one up for 399.99 and it sold on ebay within an hour and a half. at the time it was the cheapest with free shipping. i did that so i could purchase another one later on that day. i got 3 yesterday, and for a hump day, it was a great day!!!

Myself and a buddy have now flipped 6 of these all in the last 24hrs at $425 each so I think the market is still solid and it appears it's heavy on international buyers.  I also had a thought and was wondering what everyone else thinks of it.  I don't get the sense that the original crawler 9398 is a big seller so I am wondering if Lego is looking at ways to beef up sales of some of these types of semi under performing sets.  If they can essentially make a set that's virtually identical but is limited and sell it out in no time it's likely a great marketing idea.  Basically what I am saying is do you all think they would even sell 20k of this set over it's lifetime if it wasn't an exclusive.  If the answer is no then this is a brilliant move on their part for sure.  No matter what it's good but if they have essentially boosted sales a ton simply by producing more than they would have anyway and making it exclusive it's very smart.  Now maybe I am way off and this set would easily sell 100k units or something even if it wasn't an exclusive.  I just have no clue on sales for something like this.

Myself and a buddy have now flipped 6 of these all in the last 24hrs at $425 each so I think the market is still solid and it appears it's heavy on international buyers.  I also had a thought and was wondering what everyone else thinks of it.  I don't get the sense that the original crawler 9398 is a big seller so I am wondering if Lego is looking at ways to beef up sales of some of these types of semi under performing sets.  If they can essentially make a set that's virtually identical but is limited and sell it out in no time it's likely a great marketing idea.  Basically what I am saying is do you all think they would even sell 20k of this set over it's lifetime if it wasn't an exclusive.  If the answer is no then this is a brilliant move on their part for sure.  No matter what it's good but if they have essentially boosted sales a ton simply by producing more than they would have anyway and making it exclusive it's very smart.  Now maybe I am way off and this set would easily sell 100k units or something even if it wasn't an exclusive.  I just have no clue on sales for something like this.

This limited edition came about from a contest and I believe that TLG never thought that this would be as popular as it had.  I also believe the reason we are seeing a complete sellout of these is because of investors are snatching them all up.  So my question is, are all the sales on Ebay going to other investors?  If they are, then will the general Lego fan be willing to fork over double the retail price?  I bought 6 flipped 2 and I am holding out to see what the future holds.

out of curiosity, why are there a ton of ebay postings (buy it now)for around $249 and under. i noticed each one of the sellers have a 0 rating for stars. did they high jack a shipment and sell for retail??? anyone actually buy one beside the toys r us listing for $249 that was that low, and actually get to purchase one?

Those are 100% "take the money and run" scams. Stay far away.

out of curiosity, why are there a ton of ebay postings (buy it now)for around $249 and under. i noticed each one of the sellers have a 0 rating for stars. did they high jack a shipment and sell for retail??? anyone actually buy one beside the toys r us listing for $249 that was that low, and actually get to purchase one?

From what I hear, these scam artists are the reason why TLC has been focusing so much attention on resellers.  The scams are getting more and more prevalent; which TLC believes has a negative impact on their brand.  While they recognize there is a clear distinction between the two (something they touched on in a roundabout way in their press release about resellers), they're taking a shotgun approach and we're getting caught in the crossfire. 

Our best response to this situation would be to aid in helping to report and shut down these scam auctions.  The more of these scams TLC sees, the more aggressive they will become.  The less they see, the less likely they are to continue their efforts to ban those of us who buy in bulk.

From what I hear, these scam artists are the reason why TLC has been focusing so much attention on resellers.  The scams are getting more and more prevalent; which TLC believes has a negative impact on their brand.  While they recognize there is a clear distinction between the two (something they touched on in a roundabout way in their press release about resellers), they're taking a shotgun approach and we're getting caught in the crossfire. 

Our best response to this situation would be to aid in helping to report and shut down these scam auctions.  The more of these scams TLC sees, the more aggressive they will become.  The less they see, the less likely they are to continue their efforts to ban those of us who buy in bulk.

I know I have been ridiculed for agreeing and pushing people to do this, but I totally agree. This just flat out negatively affects us all.  I try to report every fraudulent listing I find.  If too many buyers get put out by stuff like this, it definitely reflects poorly on legos brand.

The amount of scam listings on ebay for this set is ridiculous. Going to be alot of unhappy buyers having to contact ebay/paypal for refunds. Of course these buyers are just feeding the scammers....just stupid...almost as stupid as emazer stating in his auction description that he will falsify customs documents for overseas buyers lol.

• Like 2

I don't see how these scams on ebay play into selling lego. Anyone selling it for 200-250 that isn't TRU and has 0 feedback is just a thief trying to scam you. That should be an ebay problem not a lego problem. I am sure these people do the same thing with any other ebay item that is selling for a good price consistently. 

Lego needs to chill with all this reseller nonsense I don't mind the limitation on sets or orders but the nonsense at the lego stores is insane. All I hear when I go in are employees moaning about resellers and they guard polybags and anything exclusive like they don't want to sell it. If there wasn't a secondary market for lego they wouldn't be where they are today. Don't like people selling lego shut down every seller on Bricklink that site doesn't do anything for the popularity of lego. 

If they really want to stop the reselling sell everything exclusive on the website with a lottery system. Then maybe some of us that can't go to comicon can get some of these exclusive figures without having to pay a bundle.... Or just make more of an item so everyone that wants one can buy one.

What is with the crazy ammounts of crawler scams past 2 days ... lots fo zero feedback buyers selling it for $99-$199 dollars and all 10 selling instantly .. I guess there really are more stupid people than scammers out there. Really messing with the 41999 sales now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do these people with zero feedback even cash out their money .. when i first started ebay until the buyer got his item or left feedback my money was locked up .. so how can they take your money and run? I am pretty confused

What is with the crazy ammounts of crawler scams past 2 days ... lots fo zero feedback buyers selling it for $99-$199 dollars and all 10 selling instantly .. I guess there really are more stupid people than scammers out there. Really messing with the 41999 sales now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep ebay has become a quagmire of despots....scammers selling items they don't have and buyers scamming honest sellers all while management turns a blind eye and focuses on their big box clients. Such a shame....it used to be a fun place to do business.

Thanks. Its my first item I have ever sold on eBay, so I am happy with what I got.

Don't forget to take into account the ebay 10% fee on price plus shipping and paypal 4% fee on price and shipping. For the love of god insure that thing, send it with signature confirmation, and wait nervously for your buyer claiming damage and trying to scam a partial refund. Welcome to ebay!

• Like 1

Don't forget to take into account the ebay 10% fee on price plus shipping and paypal 4% fee on price and shipping. For the love of god insure that thing, send it with signature confirmation, and wait nervously for your buyer claiming damage and trying to scam a partial refund. Welcome to ebay!

Its like there stealing my money.