41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

%$%!  My luck ended---at tru---they had the RED crawler---not the blue.  Person I talked to assumed I meant the red one--and knew she had 2--and didn't look up the set number I gave her.  Oh well---she was apologetic and checked the stock at all the other local TRUs--nothing.  Might head up to south shore for a couple more..that is a hike though----thanks for the tip!

Also---I would have had 9 now--but sold 4 already.  I have 5 on hand now---well---4 at home and 1 in the trunk.

%$%!  My luck ended---at tru---they had the RED crawler---not the blue.  Person I talked to assumed I meant the red one--and knew she had 2--and didn't look up the set number I gave her.  Oh well---she was apologetic and checked the stock at all the other local TRUs--nothing.  Might head up to south shore for a couple more..that is a hike though----thanks for the tip!

Also---I would have had 9 now--but sold 4 already.  I have 5 on hand now---well---4 at home and 1 in the trunk.

Sorry about that. 9 is still pretty good though! Drive carefully...would hate to hear that something happened to that Crawler in your trunk :P

No doubt I am opening one of these to build next year with my son.  I love everything about this set---and haven't even opened one, or seen one in person built yet!  Just the box art, the signatures, the limited quantity, the dark cobalt color,  the way the co-creation came about---It's just a great story and an unbelievable bargain at $200.

Toys R US (Canada) changed the status of my crawler order to "Back-Ordered" which didn't make much sense to me since how can you back-order a limited edition set? I emailed them for clarification and this is what they sent me:

Thank you for contacting Toys

No doubt I am opening one of these to build next year with my son.  I love everything about this set---and haven't even opened one, or seen one in person built yet!  Just the box art, the signatures, the limited quantity, the dark cobalt color,  the way the co-creation came about---It's just a great story and an unbelievable bargain at $200.

I highly recommend it - it's a phenomenal set and really beautiful once it's built.  It's a fun build, too.

The impetus for this thread is that I will be coming into a Crawler soon, and will probably list it for sale in the next few months. I consider myself a seasoned Ebay seller, was even a power seller for a bit. However most of my selling has been smaller sets, minifigures and movie posters. None of those presented the unique challenges that the Crawler does. I don't foresee a problem with packaging, but what service would you recommend? Also do you have any tips as far as protecting yourself against unscrupulous buyers? We already seemed to have one guy that was shady buying these up. I tried to search for a similar thread, but I didn't find any that dealed directly with big sets, and potentially big dollar items.

Finally got 1. Limiting 1 per customer/household/grownup in the store. I asked them when they are putting them out on the floor and they said not yet just unloaded. Wifey put one on hold so I knew i was good, was hoping that i could buy one without the hold. One staffer finally put one out on the floor and then waited by the stock room window to see if anyone looked at it or went to buy it. They didn't put multiple out, like it was gold or something.

Even with my 2 sons with me, they wouldn't let me buy more than 1.

My oldest asked if we would be able to build it or if it was like Stinky Pete and staying MIB.

My brother grabbed one from the Peabody store---they had 8 on the shelf--they would not sell him more than one.  Thanks for the tip Lowell---but I guess they rethought their 2 per policy--with help from corporate!. 

My brother said they mentioned "they" WERE tracking crawler purchases by vip AND credit card numbers!  He had 2 on the counter and was being rung up when the manager came over and told the cashier-- and him ---of the 1 per limit as they had a directive from corporate on this set.  They got "into trouble" for selling 2 on one sales check recenlty--and were directed 1 per customer. 

Then he was making fun of the "lego police" and how they were cracking down on people--and he was expecting guys like the city police with yellow faces showing up and grunting.  Again--take it with a grain of salt--but that is what they told him.  I had him open his own points card.  I already have 6 on mine---didn't want to chance it.

My brother grabbed one from the Peabody store---they had 8 on the shelf--they would not sell him more than one.  Thanks for the tip Lowell---but I guess they rethought their 2 per policy--with help from corporate!. 

My brother said they mentioned "they" WERE tracking crawler purchases by vip AND credit card numbers!  He had 2 on the counter and was being rung up when the manager came over and told the cashier-- and him ---of the 1 per limit as they had a directive from corporate on this set.  They got "into trouble" for selling 2 on one sales check recenlty--and were directed 1 per customer. 

Then he was making fun of the "lego police" and how they were cracking down on people--and he was expecting guys like the city police with yellow faces showing up and grunting.  Again--take it with a grain of salt--but that is what they told him.  I had him open his own points card.  I already have 6 on mine---didn't want to chance it.

And I was worried about having three. This is what my VIP account looks like for the last few months:

6 orc forges and 3 Crawlers.

Do I look like a reseller?

Did they got into trouble as recently as last night when I was there? Thank god for years of experience acting dumb with an added hint of boyish charm. I got away with 2 and I did spent all the VIP points I've been hogging. If they are really tracking by VIP cards and credit cards I'm screwed. However when the check average is that large, the associates is not going to turn down the sale when the manager isn't around. I'm pretty sure they only flag those that only buy a few sets in large quantity. I can probably fly under the radar since I buy a little bit of everything.

Did they got into trouble as recently as last night when I was there? Thank god for years of experience acting dumb with an added hint of boyish charm. I got away with 2 and I did spent all the VIP points I've been hogging. If they are really tracking by VIP cards and credit cards I'm screwed. However when the check average is that large, the associates is not going to turn down the sale when the manager isn't around. I'm pretty sure they only flag those that only buy a few sets in large quantity. I can probably fly under the radar since I buy a little bit of everything.

According to the response from a Lego executive, which was posted by Ed Mack in the "Lego News" thread a few days ago, TLG should be fine with customers buying 3 copies of any set: 1 to build, one to sell, and one to hold long term. Apparently that doesn't apply to 41999. Or it could just be that TLG doesn't know what the hell to do.

And I was worried about having three. This is what my VIP account looks like for the last few months:

6 orc forges and 3 Crawlers.

Do I look like a reseller?

You do not look like a reseller. You look like a very generous man who gives Lego sets to kids for Christmas.

According to the response from a Lego executive, which was posted by Ed Mack in the "Lego News" thread a few days ago, TLG should be fine with customers buying 3 copies of any set: 1 to build, one to sell, and one to hold long term. Apparently that doesn't apply to 41999. Or it could just be that TLG doesn't know what the hell to do.

Lego definitely want their product to be a hobby where you can resell.  Otherwise they'll have trouble keeping a loyal fan base.  At the same time it's less money for them if you can't resell to have more powder to give them down the road.  It's the question where they draw the line.  I know I'm not the only one that buys more than 3 of something here.  Do they just ban those that buys 50 of the same or they ban someone who buys 5 different set of 10 each?  I guess we'll see if someone here gets banned. 

wait lego will ban you if you buy lot of sets? now im scared to lose all my vip points!!

this month I bought 7 funhouses,7 chess sets, 2 BTTF, 2 hayabusa, 4 crawlers all this month on my vip card. Should I not order any more? I was going to make at least 15-20 purchases in $75 dollar increments to get the 20 free poly bags? help!

wait lego will ban you if you buy lot of sets? now im scared to lose all my vip points!!

this month I bought 7 funhouses,7 chess sets, 2 BTTF, 2 hayabusa, 4 crawlers all this month on my vip card. Should I not order any more? I was going to make at least 15-20 purchases in $75 dollar increments to get the 20 free poly bags? help!

Don't be afraid.  Like Mr Rockafeller mentioned, just use up those VIP points so you don't have to worry.  Like I said, we don't know where they draw the line, no one knows.  We just know they welcome small resellers/collectors.  A lot of us would already be banned since we all have similar shopping addiction at their store if not more than how you shop.  I doubt they'll want to spend a few million dollars for a consultant or software vendor to track buyer behavior.  We could be an eager intern away from getting spotted though.