41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

I have a few and didn't want to buy them out. If everyone went into the stores when they saw deals or hard to find sets and bought them out many people would be missing out. Figured I would post it here to see if someone else wants it or maybe some kid who really wants this set grabs it. I am in this game to buy and enjoy Lego's and hopefully cover my costs (which can be significant). I really think people need to think about clearing a store out every time they see a good deal. Leave some sets on the shelves to keep people interested in this hobby.

Oh I see, fair enough. Sorry, I didn`t mean anything sour by it. It`s just that there is obviously a lot of value just sitting there, and I`m feeling upset for being unable to score any myself. It`s nice of you to share this find with the rest of the community, as well as your positive attitude toward the investing hobby. Also, I understand the idea of leaving good finds on the shelf for others, that is what it should be all about after all, right? I`m in complete agreement in 95% of cases, but something like this set, being the money maker that it is, I`d have had to scoop up. Pretty sure most others would have done the same. 

Again, it`s generous of you to offer this to those on here, and sorry if anything I wrote seemed to counter that. That was certainly not my intention. 

I have a few and didn't want to buy them out. If everyone went into the stores when they saw deals or hard to find sets and bought them out many people would be missing out. Figured I would post it here to see if someone else wants it or maybe some kid who really wants this set grabs it. I am in this game to buy and enjoy Lego's and hopefully cover my costs (which can be significant). I really think people need to think about clearing a store out every time they see a good deal. Leave some sets on the shelves to keep people interested in this hobby.

Best post I have seen in a while........pat yourself on the back!!

I am going to go against the grain here and say I would cash in all my crawlers right now. I see them hitting below 300, at which point you can gobble them up and ride the returns as they slowly creep up again. Unless TLG releases the special edition DARK RED at which point the stay below 300 :D

And someone is going to make fake licence plates. not sure if it's possible to BL them but if you can for sub 300 there is going to be a lot of hysteria on legit vs fake crawlers.

I'm optimistic that Crawlers will be available more readily to the general public at some point, kind of like Minecraft eventually was. So I'd go ahead and do the trade, or try to flip for a profit then buy the shuttle and get a bit of cash on the side. Then again, if the shuttle is remade, it's going to hurt this one...but that probably won't be for awhile.

I am going to go against the grain here and say I would cash in all my crawlers right now. I see them hitting below 300, at which point you can gobble them up and ride the returns as they slowly creep up again. Unless TLG releases the special edition DARK RED at which point the stay below 300 :D

And someone is going to make fake licence plates. not sure if it's possible to BL them but if you can for sub 300 there is going to be a lot of hysteria on legit vs fake crawlers.

We hit a lot of them on Ebay before and they went down.

What could make them go down if they don't reproduce them?

That's a blinding deal, If I lived in the U.S. I would deliver the shuttle to you by hand in an instant, in fact I'd probably let you have 2.

There are far more people sitting on shuttles than crawlers, many of them have 10+ sets too and as iconic as the star wars shuttle is the crawler could well be one of the most exclusive sets Lego will ever make.

Lego could make the crawler again of course, or they could have made the 41999 in the first place just to sell more components to, with the 9398 lets face it, a pretty poor set. My gut feeling is the 9398 will be done by January and that will be it for crawlers.

Stu

That's a blinding deal, If I lived in the U.S. I would deliver the shuttle to you by hand in an instant, in fact I'd probably let you have 2.

There are far more people sitting on shuttles than crawlers, many of them have 10+ sets too and as iconic as the star wars shuttle is the crawler could well be one of the most exclusive sets Lego will ever make.

Lego could make the crawler again of course, or they could have made the 41999 in the first place just to sell more components to, with the 9398 lets face it, a pretty poor set. My gut feeling is the 9398 will be done by January and that will be it for crawlers.

Stu

Let's trade then, I have one Crawler and I want your both Shuttles :D

Seriously, as some others pointed out, right now I wouldn't trade one for one, it'd take a Shuttle and some cash to let go of one of my 41999s. Maybe down the road it could go one for one, but right now the Crawler is the icing on the cake.

If Lego decided to re-release 41999... Well that might be just the ticket to permanently dampen the resale market. And the collector's market. And any hope TLG might have if retaining their "elite toy" reputation.

After Minecraft, SDCC exclusives, and Mr. Gold, the limited edition tag has already become a bit annoying. Breaking it would be even worse. Personally, if TLG does loophole in another Crawler, I will definitely lose some faith. And the less faith I give a product, the less money I give it, too.

If Lego decided to re-release 41999... Well that might be just the ticket to permanently dampen the resale market. And the collector's market. And any hope TLG might have if retaining their "elite toy" reputation.

After Minecraft, SDCC exclusives, and Mr. Gold, the limited edition tag has already become a bit annoying. Breaking it would be even worse. Personally, if TLG does loophole in another Crawler, I will definitely lose some faith. And the less faith I give a product, the less money I give it, too.

I don't see them coming out publicly and re-releasing this particular Crawler. Doing this would rub everyone who bought this set, investors, collectors and fans, the wrong way.

I think it'll stay at 20K and that's that, lesson learned by TLG.

They could release a newer Crawler with some modifications, or leave it the way it is and keep up the You Design It We Make It competition, releasing them as Limited Editions but upping the quantities.

I believe that this belongs to another thread.

Thanks for the response everyone.

I highly doubt that Lego will re-release this same exact 41999 with different numbers (20001 to whatever). TLG would not be so stupid to completely piss off a large cohort of their avid customers. I'm a collector before an investor and I have sideshow statues, hot toys, pinball machines, etc. I can tell you that edition sizes are a big deal to collectors and companies respect that. Sure, some companies can be greedy, change the color of a statue and then release it again (ie hulk comiquette), but never would they just re release an item that's exactly the same.

So this is it for the 41999...20k. can they release a different version w same edition size? Possibly. Somehow I doubt it though. They already have the other crawler that's open edition for those who couldn't obtain the 41999.

I know that lego has said they will not cater to the collector, but that doesn't mean they can't have a few Limited models.

I don't know why this gets overlooked so often here. TLC has already released the non-Limited edItion 4x4 Crawler - it's called 9398 4x4 Crawler. I have a hard time believing TLC would release three versions of this vehicle. Even if they did release another version (which is HIGHLY unlikely), it wouldn't be given the production run that the original Crawler was given, so in essence TLC would be releasing yet ANOTHER limited edition Crawler! Not happening.

That said, I think Tony's right that someone will produce the license plate, so perhaps selling these sets used could become risky, nd prices will be depressed accordingly. Now may be the time to sell a used version of this before any fake plate mania hits.

What don't you guys understand about 20,000 sets produced?

Until this point changes from their LEGO Shop at Home site..........Its 20,000. 

• "Collect one of only 20,000 models, each with its own unique license plate number"

Yup, even if 50 of them happen to come from a toys r us

What don't you guys understand about 20,000 sets produced?

Until this point changes from their s@h site..........Its 20,000. 

• "Collect one of only 20,000 models, each with its own unique license plate number"

That still doesn't prevent them from releasing non-unique license plate versions.  Who knows what they're going to do, but it would be very easy for them to get around this statement because any more that get produced wouldn't have the unique license plate, keeping the above statement true.  As previously stated, they've already done this with the UCS Falcon and (unmentioned) the Santa Fe Super Chief.  The Super Chief had the exact same thing with uniquely numbered tiles for the first 10,000 sets, then unnumbered after that.  Now for both of those sets it was stated ahead of time that this was going to be the plan, but the point is that it's been done before.  

• Like 3

That still doesn't prevent them from releasing non-unique license plate versions.  Who knows what they're going to do, but it would be very easy for them to get around this statement because any more that get produced wouldn't have the unique license plate, keeping the above statement true.  As previously stated, they've already done this with the UCS Falcon and (unmentioned) the Santa Fe Super Chief.  The Super Chief had the exact same thing with uniquely numbered tiles for the first 10,000 sets, then unnumbered after that.  Now for both of those sets it was stated ahead of time that this was going to be the plan, but the point is that it's been done before.  

Interesting, did not know that and thanks for sharing