41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

i'm worried it will drop. the price has fallen from about 500 to 430 in a day and a half. i imagine them dropping to 350 before leveling out and then going up to maybe 425 by the holiday season.

Any at $350 would be snapped up quick. Unless your intention was always for a quick flip, you should wait.

Any at $350 would be snapped up quick. Unless your intention was always for a quick flip, you should wait.

im going to keep it listed at 415, i can't bring myself to sell it for any less. if someone buys it great. if not im probably going wait until the holidays to sell it and hopefully get 450-500.

i'm worried it will drop. the price has fallen from about 500 to 430 in a day and a half. i imagine them dropping to 350 before leveling out and then going up to maybe 425 by the holiday season.

I wish everything I own go parabolic up in a straight line.  The listing just went from 40-100 in a day.  Greed is taking over at 100-125% over retail.  I'll let the market consolidate before it makes the next move.

To those of you who are thinking of building it or have built it - would you pay $450-500 to do so?  That's effectively the trade off you've made.

Yes it would.  I think it would be more than retail, maybe $100-200 less than a sealed one.

If a used one can be sold for over retail and $150 less than a sealed one then the people who opened this set realy is only losing (or paying as you put it) the $150 difference.  The $200 MSRP will be recoup when the set is sold plus whatever extra $. The important thing is they got the enjoyment and experience of building the set. Some say the experience is priceless :)

To those of you who are thinking of building it or have built it - would you pay $450-500 to do so?  That's effectively the trade off you've made.

I don't like thinking about things like this though. If you think like this, why would you ever build a set that could be worth a lot of money?

Now if you mean buying a used one to build, I agree with that. Cutting your value for sure.

If a used one can be sold for over retail and $150 less than a sealed one then the people who opened this set realy is only losing (or paying as you put it) the $150 difference.  The $200 MSRP will be recoup when the set is sold plus whatever extra $. The important thing is they got the enjoyment and experience of building the set. Some say the experience is priceless :)

That's what I plan on doing.....

Yes, very true.  The cost for "breaking the seals" and having the build experience and a bit of shelf/play time would be $150 in that case (or whatever the gap between the market prices for new and used turns out to be).  That's if they sell the used set.

I don't like thinking about things like this though. If you think like this, why would you ever build a set that could be worth a lot of money?

Now if you mean buying a used one to build, I agree with that. Cutting your value for sure.

I think that way all the time.  It's one of the things that keep me from opening up my sealed investment sets.

I guess I was thinking about those who bought it for $199 and went home and built it.  After walking out of the shop if someone had approached them in the car park and offered $500 for it would they have still taken it home to build and keep?  The opportunity cost of keeping a set is the current market price, not the retail or price you paid for it.  

The 41999 sitting in my closest represents $500 to me, do I want to forgo that $500 and keep it for myself or sell it?  Or the 3rd option of opening and building it and taking the loss from new to used.  That is the trade off.  Probably something that when buying at retail people never thought about.  I guess it was hard to predict the extreme nature of the growth we have seen.

• Like 1