41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Guest eightbrick

Appears I missed the ball on this one. Oh well, its MSRP was out of my price range anyway. Good luck to those invested in it - although it appears you won't need much luck to make some big money :D

This is hilarious.  Back in the spring I was sure I would buy one on August 1st because I don't like the normal crawler and figured I could just make a blue MOC Unimog with the 41999.  Then I saw the mini VW poly that is coming out for September and figured I'd just wait to get my 41999 because 20,000 is a lot of sets right?  I've even seen them sitting, unnoticed, 3+ deep on the shelves at least twice since August 1st.  Now I'm finding out that they are not only sold out, but already selling for more than double retail?!?!  You've got to be kidding me. 

I wonder if TLG is all butthurt because these are already selling for double retail. It makes more sense than a Green Arrow minifig, at least.

They tried with the Falcon @ 500...more production without the certificate. 

Minecraft 10K @35 but more was made.

41999 20K @200 with special plate.

Regardless prices went parabolic after release.  What are they going to do next?  More limited edition with higher quantity.  This will keep the interest in Lego going that's for sure.

So here is what I got from the Lego store:

Note: Backstory is I placed an order for a crawler on Aug 9th and it disappeared from the website shortly after. I got confirmation and my CC was authorized, but never got the email.

I called in and they said because they took the item down, this is why my order did not go through right. I asked if they were actually sold out. She said "No, actually we removed the set from the website because we highly underestimated the demand for the set and we had to save the rest to put in our Lego stores. It will not be returning to the website".  She very much sounded like she knew what she was talking about - not a guess (she was a manager by the way as she had to be asked to look up my credit card and order problems :) )

So I asked her if the stores were actually getting more. She said "Yes most of them will be getting one more shipment of them.". Why would she tell me this? Well, they admitted on the phone they botched my order, but she said their online warehouse is really out of them. So their solution for me? They are going to ask the closest Lego store to hold the next one that comes in for me since my order was messed up.

I know we argue about whether they know what they are talking about, but this makes sense from what we have seen. How often do they remove these from the site?

For those of you that missed one, stay on your Local stores. She made is sound like they will most likely all get another small shipment of 4-5.

I'm still curious how they are going to process a return for me?  I called them yesterday, hoping to get a discount for my punctured box and he processed an RMA instead.  He said he'd expedite a replacement and it should arrive in 2-3 days?  They must be holding some in a warehouse somewhere for returns?

I'm still curious how they are going to process a return for me?  I called them yesterday, hoping to get a discount for my punctured box and he processed an RMA instead.  He said he'd expedite a replacement and it should arrive in 2-3 days?  They must be holding some in a warehouse somewhere for returns?

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for most of the things they do.......I think they do this on purpose to keep us guessing. Anyhow I hope you get a clean box!

If all these stores get some more, prices may dip for several days. I suspect most of the next series of them will be bought and sold on Ebay.

If they do get me another, I think I will actually build it.

I don't think prices will dip. Let's say that they'll send the last 1000 to the stores, IIRC there were a bit over 100 stores in the US, that makes 10 units/store at most, that won't make too much of a difference IMHO. Maybe a couple of quick flippers but I think most of these buyers will hold on to them for a while.

On a side note, I can't help but laugh when I write or read 'flipper'. My mind instantly goes to ---->

cast.jpg

• Like 1