41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Haha. I am waiting for the flood of these to hit.

Looks like your getting your wish.  Checked on ebay the last few nights around 1230 EST, went from the teens to 36 tonight.  Looking like the seller are asking average 330 from 300 a few days ago.  Hopefully the buyers will bid these up too!!!

Looks like your getting your wish.  Checked on ebay the last few nights around 1230 EST, went from the teens to 36 tonight.  Looking like the seller are asking average 330 from 300 a few days ago.  Hopefully the buyers will bid these up too!!!

Not surprising. Cue the drop in prices as people try undersell each other in T-Minus 5.....4.....

I got to thinking after somebody mentioned in a thread that the only people who knew about the crawler's release were hard-core Technic fans a and investors. That, coupled with the fact that the set is a really terrible RC (let's be real, I see why it has the name crawler), may hurt this set in the secondary market. Yes, there are only 20,000, but if everybody who has it uses it as a display model only, the number could stay at 20,000 for a long time. I'm just spit-ballin here, not a naysayer, just thinking. It's early, my brain is working weirdly. :D

Exo, I have to disagree, respectfully of course. Technic fans are typically Lego fans first, not robotics fans that happen to stumble on Lego. They like the challenge of the build that Technic provides, and they like to see how their Lego creation comes to life with the power functions provided. I think your argument is kinda like saying no one is going to buy a Darth Maul bust because the Lego version is not nearly as good as some of the incredible statues made by artists. Also, because it isn't used as an RC has no bearing on whether it will be collectible - some of the successful secondary market Technic cranes are larger/tougher to display and have fewer functions than 41999, yet they have fetched great returns.

In full disclosure, I've been excited about this set since it was introduced. I bought one this week from the Lego Store, built it (finished last night), and it exceeds my expectations. Besides the draw of the Technic functions, it is a phenomenal throwback design to a 70s American muscle car, a genre that has hordes of fans (a 70s muscle car has never been done as a Technic set before BTW). To top it off, Lego has given this set some seriously collectible features - a radical box, exclusively numbered license plate, and two sick colors never before seen on a Technic set (navy blue and chrome). To me, people will love this and want this because of the merits of the set and the collectibility. The sweet Power Functions are just icing on the cake.

• Like 2

Exo, I have to disagree, respectfully of course. Technic fans are typically Lego fans first, not robotics fans that happen to stumble on Lego. They like the challenge of the build that Technic provides, and they like to see how their Lego creation comes to life with the power functions provided. I think your argument is kinda like saying no one is going to buy a Darth Maul bust because the Lego version is not nearly as good as some of the incredible statues made by artists. Also, because it isn't used as an RC has no bearing on whether it will be collectible - some of the successful secondary market Technic cranes are larger/tougher to display and have fewer functions than 41999, yet they have fetched great returns.

In full disclosure, I've been excited about this set since it was introduced. I bought one this week from the Lego Store, built it (finished last night), and it exceeds my expectations. Besides the draw of the Technic functions, it is a phenomenal throwback design to a 70s American muscle car, a genre that has hordes of fans (a 70s muscle car has never been done as a Technic set before BTW). To top it off, Lego has given this set some seriously collectible features - a radical box, exclusively numbered license plate, and two sick colors never before seen on a Technic set (navy blue and chrome). To me, people will love this and want this because of the merits of the set and the collectibility. The sweet Power Functions are just icing on the cake.

If anyone thinks these aren't wanted, here is your proof of the opposite:

I put one of mine up on Ebay because it was in stupidly mint condition and most the others on Ebay had problems. I listed it for $330 plus shipping (after I would make close to 100 bucks flipping it).

International buyer bought it through the global shipping program. What was his order total? $525.99!!!

That may give us a clue what these could be worth later. wow.

If anyone thinks these aren't wanted, here is your proof of the opposite:

I put one of mine up on Ebay because it was in stupidly mint condition and most the others on Ebay had problems. I listed it for $330 plus shipping (after I would make close to 100 bucks flipping it).

International buyer bought it through the global shipping program. What was his order total? $525.99!!!

That may give us a clue what these could be worth later. wow.

Wow. I think this proves that this set is valuable.

Quacs is right.

On all points.

• Like 1

Definitely - Weird thing though - It doesn't show up in the sold listings, anywhere. I can't find it. So I don't know there is a way to see what they paid. I just looked at the packing slip because I was curious:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221265249896?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Yeah it is strange but for some reason some don't show up on completed listings

Im impressed someone was willing to pay all that shipping though just to get one

What country were they from?

I certainly agree that the fact that this set is not a high performance RC will not affect its value. I am shocked at the response I have seen from many in the Lego community over these past few RC sets, many are nit picking on how they aren't fast or powerful enough. When I was a kid, my technic sets didn't do anything but sit there, I had to push them if I wanted them to move, I had turn the gears to get them to rotate lift things. There were a few motors at the time but the implementation was horrible. Pneumatics was about the greatest you could hope for as far as functionality but even those were activated by hand pumps.

I am amazed at how functional technic sets are now, they are doing things that I only dreamed they could do when I was a kid. We used to spend all day trying to hack our legos to do what is very common and easy today. 

• Like 4

I certainly agree that the fact that this set is not a high performance RC will not affect its value. I am shocked at the response I have seen from many in the Lego community over these past few RC sets, many are nit picking on how they aren't fast or powerful enough. When I was a kid, my technic sets didn't do anything but sit there, I had to push them if I wanted them to move, I had turn the gears to get them to rotate lift things. There were a few motors at the time but the implementation was horrible. Pneumatics was about the greatest you could hope for as far as functionality but even those were activated by hand pumps.

I am amazed at how functional technic sets are now, they are doing things that I only dreamed they could do when I was a kid. We used to spend all day trying to hack our legos to do what is very common and easy today. 

Agreed, redeemed...and who buys these sets on the secondary market?  Adults our age that loved those primitive Technic sets as kids.  As I said, 41999 seriously kicks some tailpipe when compared to other Technic sets, especially the ones we grew up with.

I ordered 2 and have them in hand now.  I just ordered a couple more.  I am not going to go overboard and order anymore so I hopefully avoid any banning issues.  Should I hold the two I have or do a quick flip?  I can easily wait to flip this and my thought is if it sells out before the holidays the prices could really jump.

I ordered 2 and have them in hand now.  I just ordered a couple more.  I am not going to go overboard and order anymore so I hopefully avoid any banning issues.  Should I hold the two I have or do a quick flip?  I can easily wait to flip this and my thought is if it sells out before the holidays the prices could really jump.

I would wait till the holidays to sell the set.

Agreed, redeemed...and who buys these sets on the secondary market?  Adults our age that loved those primitive Technic sets as kids.  As I said, 41999 seriously kicks some tailpipe when compared to other Technic sets, especially the ones we grew up with.

I agree with both of you, this set is a wonderful LEGO set.  Period.  It is an amazing piece of LEGO technology and any twit that says it doesn't act like a real RC car needs to have their head examined.

• Like 1