41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Done in by the hot dog stand: I've got a bunch of dimples on the front of my box in about a 4 inch by 4 inch area.  I bought my 4 x 4 at the store and then forgot that the polybag was in the bag.  I carefully laid the box down flat in the back of my car and discovered a bunch of dimples when I got home.  What do I do?  Try to get another and return this one to the store?

If they have another one there you could ask them to switch, but I think it might be wrong to say it happened beforehand when it actually didn't

Has anyone else built this set? i find that it does not drive well at all. It just moves so very slowly and not what i expected compared to house quick the trains move.  

You could always try upping the power a little. Especially if you are happy to mod with 'non-lego' parts......

I have had my Maresk train running on 8 rechargeable AA cells for the last year or so with no problems yet (I only went this route cause the rechargeable battery box is a ridiculous $100 here + then you need the charger).

Not sure where the volt limit on the receivers is but if you do go this route please proceed with caution.

But either way I doubt it would be enough juice to really get this monster moving. 

I have not looked closely at the instructions or the build yet, but another option for more speed may be to play around with the gearing but this may not even be possible. 

Just remember its a crawler and in the RC world crawler means just that. Slooooooow. Sure people do build fast ones, but generally they are built to slowly get over obstacles etc.

I would looooooove to see a fast(er) lego/technic truck though........ 

• Like 1

I asked Lego UK customer service "if there would be only 20,000 of this set ever, or if there would only be 20,000 limited edition sets with possibly more non-numbered sets produced later". The important part of the reply I got is below;

"Thanks for getting in touch with us.
It's great to hear you're as excited about our great new LEGO

• Like 1

There are a number of components which are being manufactured in a limited run purely for this set, and we don't envisage these being available to produce more examples once production has ceased.

It is possible that, if there is high demand for a particular set, then it may be reintroduced at some point in the future; however there would be significant production changes due to these exclusive elements, resulting in a significantly different model. So for now, we anticipate there will only be 20,000 examples of this set ever produced."

Any one that knows anything about plastic molding knows that your single biggest investment is in the tooling and molds to make the parts. No company that spends tens of thousands of dollars in tooling is going to pack it in with such a small production run. (and in the world of injection molding 20K is a very small run)

Another thing to consider is that if there were special parts made for just this set and only 20K were made AND these parts were NEVER to be used EVER AGAIN  then the sale price of this set would be a lot more than the $199 US it's going for if Lego wants to amortize the cost of the tooling for these new, exclusive elements

While Lego may only be making 20K of this set I'll bet you any amount that we'll see these new, 'exclusive' elements again in the future.

Any one that knows anything about plastic molding knows that your single biggest investment is in the tooling and molds to make the parts. No company that spends tens of thousands of dollars in tooling is going to pack it in with such a small production run. (and in the world of injection molding 20K is a very small run)

Another thing to consider is that if there were special parts made for just this set and only 20K were made AND these parts were NEVER to be used EVER AGAIN  then the sale price of this set would be a lot more than the $199 US it's going for if Lego wants to amortize the cost of the tooling for these new, exclusive elements

While Lego may only be making 20K of this set I'll bet you any amount that we'll see these new, 'exclusive' elements again in the future.

I looked at the instructions for the set online and I saw a decent amount of pieces that I rarely saw in other sets. From an inventory list that I saw, a lot of the pieces could be found in other Lego sets.

There is 0 (zero) chance that they made a mold to make just 20k parts.  They may be exclusive elements to that set in a certain color--but there will be more elements going through the new molds--if there were in fact new molds made for this product.

I agree with you. all you have to do is put in a different color into the mold and you have the same piece in a different color.

Has it occurred to any of you that maybe they did not need to make new molds or tooling for any of the parts for this set, they are just using existing parts and doing special paint / colors for them would not incur any high costs for a run?

I am not aware of any new parts being used in this set, perhaps someone could direct me to them, I only am aware of a few parts being made in rare colors or paint jobs suck as the license plates. 

Has it occurred to any of you that maybe they did not need to make new molds or tooling for any of the parts for this set, they are just using existing parts and doing special paint / colors for them would not incur any high costs for a run?

I am not aware of any new parts being used in this set, perhaps someone could direct me to them, I only am aware of a few parts being made in rare colors or paint jobs suck as the license plates. 

I am thinking the same thing here. They are using the same mold to produce pieces in a different color. I only think that there is one piece that they needed to make a new mold for and that is the four tires in the set.

Has anyone else built this set? i find that it does not drive well at all. It just moves so very slowly and not what i expected compared to house quick the trains move.  

I built mine!  It looks awesome and drives great.  Yeah it's slow, but it will climb over anything.  Seems they have geared it for torque over speed.  I put out my 2-year old's shoes and it climbs right over them.  4-wheel steering means it turns at a pretty good radius.  Headlights are a nice touch and my son loves the winch.   Probably the most fun I have had building of any of my Technic sets (the 9394 Jet was a fun build too).   Let me know if you want a video of its crawling in action or pictures!