41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Guest TabbyBoy

I bought one of these for myself and one to sell.  The only thing that worries me is all the ones on ebay right now only have a couple of watchers.  When only 2 or 4 people are following an auction, it does seem to prove that interest has fallen off, at least for now.

... and we all know that most watchers are competitors, not buyers.

I'm not sure where your looking to see them selling for $150 over retail, at least not on ebay.  The last 19 of 20 sold have been for $340 or less which isn't a big difference, but take out ebay and Paypal fees . . . and the profit from the set quickly diminishes.  I'll definitely hold onto mine for a while longer.

You can even get one on Amazon for less than $150 over retail with shipping.

I'm not sure where your looking to see them selling for $150 over retail, at least not on ebay.  The last 19 of 20 sold have been for $340 or less which isn't a big difference, but take out ebay and Paypal fees . . . and the profit from the set quickly diminishes.  I'll definitely hold onto mine for a while longer.

You can even get one on Amazon for less than $150 over retail with shipping.

Semantics......fact remains it JUST retired and is selling for well above retail.
  • Like 1

Semantics......fact remains it JUST retired and is selling for well above retail.

Yeah, that was more of my point. I'll rephrase:

The set has been "retired" for less than 2 months, sells for $140 over retail despite the large number of listings and people still worry about the potential of the set lol

PS: I have sold 4 for $330 over the past few days (seem to have an endless supply of these at my LEGO store, so have my own long term stash as well) and that leaves me with a profit of around $65 per unit*. Not bad at all.

*After FEDEX shipping with signature AND insurance

Holding a 200 set with a 10% credit card costs 20 bucks a year. Same deal if you could have put that 200 bucks into your 401k. Between the tax benefit of using pre-tax dollars, and the way the market is going, 10% is a reasonable opportunity cost.

So if the set goes from 340 to 360,,,,you might as well have just sold it now, ESPECIALLY for those who can still find it.

or just pay your bills/get a better interest rate and dont charge what you cannot afford

That's precisely why I showed the opportunity cost of not using the funds elsewhere as an alternative for those of us who do.

Whether your investment dollar is funded via CC, savings account, or cash under your mattress, it's probably costing you a good 5-20% not to be using it elsewhere

• Like 1

Holding a 200 set with a 10% credit card costs 20 bucks a year. Same deal if you could have put that 200 bucks into your 401k. Between the tax benefit of using pre-tax dollars, and the way the market is going, 10% is a reasonable opportunity cost.

So if the set goes from 340 to 360,,,,you might as well have just sold it now, ESPECIALLY for those who can still find it.

buying something for investment on borrowed money/credit card is ill advised. Would you take a loan from the bank to invest in stocks? No you use what money you are willing to/able to lose when you invest in toys/stocks/anything

• Like 1

buying something for investment on borrowed money/credit card is ill advised. Would you take a loan from the bank to invest in stocks? No you use what money you are willing to/able to lose when you invest in toys/stocks/anything

Depends on the situation. Borrowing $1000 (CC) to get 5 Crawlers would have made a lot of sense if you planned to sell them in the short term and paid your balance in full before the end of your billing period.

Are you saying this will be the profits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qo6_tjnXv8

Mom, Dad... we just burnt the house down because we are stupid...

Honestly, if they did it in the middle of the driveway I wouldn't be shocked, but that is only a few feet from the house... the right wind gust, and poof, charred house and garage...