41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Doesnt seem that crazy. The instruction manual for market street sells for $100, ive seen its box go for close to that as well. Maybe people are investing in the box, or they bough a set and the box was badly damaged and they want a replacement.

Box is also damaged.

I'm not sure why someone would be mad if they know what they are bidding on and it would seem they do.  It's a nice box and people have their own reasons why they would want it.

That's the main thing, I'm guessing that people are expecting a complete set.

If on the contrary they are willing to pay close to 100 GBP for a box then be my guest.

Please please please Every read

Any who is sending the crawlers out to the uk please make sure that they are wrapped up individually even if you sending more then 1 box in the same box please reinforce the box with extra cardboard and also anyone using ebays GSP they open the boxes to check before sending out BUT use a very sharp blade, im on my 2nd damaged box now and really hate to see a nice set with knife cuts thought it :'( :sick: so again please use extra cardboard

even if the sets are not coming to me its a shame the some d*** at a sorting office has no clue on whats in the box yet using a blade to open :@ :@ :@

also can someone please answer my other question about linking the rest of my sets to here from brickset i cant do it ????

Got another 2 crawlers today, plus another 6 of the halloween 3 figure sets (they must just keep replacing the ones I buy on a daily basis, I'm curious to see when they run out), their last spring scene polybag (for now) and 5 of the pumpkin polybag from a box that had just arrived even though it's supposed to be all gone. I did 3 separate transactions but the wrinkle today was I only got 1 christmas box. The clerk said they're only supposed to give out one per customer. So far I'm not causing any problems with all this crawler buying so I wasn't going to blow my goodwill and complain. I now have 6 crawlers and 6 christmas boxes and was only ever expecting to have 1 christmas box and no crawlers so I'm still ahead.

Two more days left in October so I'll likely go back each of the next 2 days to take advantage of the double VIP points and see how many more crawlers and christmas boxes I can get.

I'd estimate that this one store alone has sold 40+ crawlers since last Friday.

also anyone using ebays GSP they open the boxes to check before sending out BUT use a very sharp blade, im on my 2nd damaged box now and really hate to see a nice set with knife cuts thought it :'( :sick: so again please use extra cardboard

I have had this reported to me by buyers, too, with book packages sent through the GSP, so I now reinforce with a couple extra layers of cardboard to thwart the knife-wielding minimum-wage monkeys at the Kentucky sort facility.

Please please please Every read

Any who is sending the crawlers out to the uk please make sure that they are wrapped up individually even if you sending more then 1 box in the same box please reinforce the box with extra cardboard and also anyone using ebays GSP they open the boxes to check before sending out BUT use a very sharp blade, im on my 2nd damaged box now and really hate to see a nice set with knife cuts thought it :'( :sick: so again please use extra cardboard

even if the sets are not coming to me its a shame the some d*** at a sorting office has no clue on whats in the box yet using a blade to open :@ :@ :@

also can someone please answer my other question about linking the rest of my sets to here from brickset i cant do it ????

I believe you must import the entire Brickset collection at one time, not in sections.

• Like 1

I have had this reported to me by buyers, too, with book packages sent through the GSP, so I now reinforce with a couple extra layers of cardboard to thwart the knife-wielding minimum-wage monkeys at the Kentucky sort facility.

Why did you switch to GSP? I honestly am about to drop it. I have had no trouble with international shipments so far, although I have probably done less than 35 or so.

GSP always shows up as the default option making my larger items look more expensive. Time and how poorly they package the items at the pitstop. I would rather just send it myself.

Plus since I work shipping into the cost of some of my items, I actually profit a bit from selling them overseas.

Why did you switch to GSP? I honestly am about to drop it. I have had no trouble with international shipments so far, although I have probably done less than 35 or so.

GSP always shows up as the default option making my larger items look more expensive. Time and how poorly they package the items at the pitstop. I would rather just send it myself.

Plus since I work shipping into the cost of some of my items, I actually profit a bit from selling them overseas.

We switched all of our eligible categories to GSP in January when the international rates went sky high anyway. I like the simplicity and the seller protection. If I send my own packages with (reliable) tracking via priority mail or express mail, it costs the buyer more than the GSP does. If I want to take the hit or miss FCMI tracking for the eligible countries, it sometimes costs the buyer less.

GSP has also been faster overall for me than FCMI shipping, even with sending it to Kentucky first. It doesn't seem to be subjected to much in the way of customs holds, perhaps part of the agreements Pitney Bowes made with the various countries' postage and customs systems.

We're selling almost as much using GSP as were were pre-GSP with far fewer headaches. I haven't had any repackaging problems other than the overly-enthusiastic knife-wielding and that's easily dealt with (and probably a good idea anyway, as some buyers get overly enthusiastic themselves when opening their packages, nevermind the distribution center workers. ;-)

For those sellers who are or are willing to become experts on international shipping themselves, GSP may not be the right choice. For me, even knowing exactly what I'm doing shipping internationally, I'll take the simplicity anyway. And for any seller who is new to international shipping or doesn't want to learn all the ins and outs, GSP is a no-brainer: some international sales in a safe manner are better than no international sales or just winging it and hoping it gets there.

I've bought 2 per day since the weekend (they have posted limit of 2 per "household") and like Garfield's fabled bottomless pan of lasagna more just keep appearing. The clerk told me they sold 17 over the weekend. With double VIP and a free christmas box with each $100 purchase this is the moment I've been waiting for all year. I haven't inquired at the Fairview or Sherway Gardens locations as Yorkdale seems to be always full and is right off the subway.

For shipping items internationally myself, I only use USPS Express Mail (now called Priority Mail Express International) because its generally faster (7-10 days), has reliable tracking and includes insurance but it is only really worth the extra time and effort for high value items. Regular Priority Mail International is only about 7-9% cheaper, doesn't have tracking or includes insurance and the new First Class Mail International (4 lb weight limit) tracking is apparently only currently reliable for Canada.

For example, say shipping a crawler (10 lbs) to the UK would cost $80 for Express Mail with $400 of insurance. A buyer going through GSP would see a lower but slower Priority Mail International shipping charge of $55 but then have an import duty charge of $114.00 so they are paying $170.00 total for shipping. Even if you charge more, say $100, the buyer sees a lower total charge and you can make something to cover the large box/bubble wrap, etc.

For small-ish and/or low value items, GSP is something you should consider just because you don't really have to do anything extra, the shipping is domestic so you are doing the same thing, you can get more buyers and the total shipping cost that the buyer pays isn't too unreasonable. The high charges that international buyers usually complain about with the GSP come from the import duties which would be obviously be less for lower value items.

And the smaller items are easier to package/protect better against the knife maniacs.

Only bad point with GSP if the knife manics who just slice and dice you parcel open then once they have cut open your beloved fresh mint sealed 41999 with a big cut straight through they then have the cheek to put a label inside saying we have checked your parcel before delivery and everything seems fine :@:@:@:@:@:@

Really ebay, you make off are listing fees then sellers fees then tax us on are postage (hows that even aloud) oh wait then we use your sister site paypal and then you charge us again of how nice

oh also forgeting the GSP owned by ebay who make money on sending your parcels out :@:@ RANT OVER lol

Owners please hurry with your brickclassifieds :)

For example, say shipping a crawler (10 lbs) to the UK would cost $80 for Express Mail with $400 of insurance. A buyer going through GSP would see a lower but slower Priority Mail International shipping charge of $55 but then have an import duty charge of $114.00 so they are paying $170.00 total for shipping so even if you charge say $100, the buyer sees a lower total charge and you can make something to cover the large boxes/bubble wrap, etc.

However, once the package arrives, the buyer is then paying UK customs and duties (GSP charges them up front, shipping ourselves the buyer pays them at time of delivery) so there's not necessarily any actual savings to the buyer (in my experience using priority mail or better shipping, the reverse in fact).

There's no one right answer, except possibly the one eBay may require in future: have SOME kind of international shipping available, whether do-it-yourself or GSP. International is the fastest growing market for U.S. sellers, by far, and it's D.U.M.B. not to try to get some sales in that market, at least in most categories (including Lego).

Regarding eBay making money: first, we don't know what the deal is between eBay and Pitney Bowes. We know Pitney Bowes is getting a fee per package, and since I also like to make money, I don't begrudge it to them.. eBay may or may not also be making extra on the GSP, but it's just as likely that they're considering the increase in international sales (and the resulting final value fees paid by the sellers) and their toehold in the international market as sufficient additional revenue and reward.

However, once the package arrives, the buyer is then paying UK customs and duties (GSP charges them up front, shipping ourselves the buyer pays them at time of delivery) so there's not necessarily any actual savings to the buyer (in my experience using priority mail or better shipping, the reverse in fact).

There's no one right answer, except possibly the one eBay may require in future: have SOME kind of international shipping available, whether do-it-yourself or GSP. International is the fastest growing market for U.S. sellers, by far, and it's D.U.M.B. not to try to get some sales in that market, at least in most categories (including Lego).

Yes, that's very true but that's something the buyer deals with, not the seller. I am looking at it solely from a seller's point of view. For large and high value items, it makes the most sense to me to pack and ship the items myself so I know that they are packaged correctly (and are not touched by knife maniacs) and gets to the buyer in the least amount of time. International buyers paying a premium (item and shipping) for valuable items generally want the best packaging/service and the fastest delivery and that's something you can't currently trust the GSP to provide, especially if the buyer is paying more for the GSP than the combined shipping costs/import duties from a seller/themselves.

eBay opens and repackages your items (puts many items in one larger box) to get lower bulk shipping costs. How do you do know your item isn't on the bottom of that large box with a lot of other heavy items on top of it? Is there cushioning between individual items or are they all just crammed together with a packing slip to differentiate them? It would be completely different if they just took your entire package and put it within a larger box.

For small/low value items, it's fine to let eBay do the work. There's little risk and you get all the international exposure with no effort.

International is obviously the future for eBay so of course they are making money from it and the international shipping center costs money to staff/run. However, eBay currently only lets certain/proven sellers offer the GSP. eBay has to trust you first because they are assuming a cost/risk in being a facilitator/middle man.

No one has anything negative to say about the Global Shipping Program. I am starting to wonder why am I not offering this then I remember you will be protected from item not received once it has been delivered to ebay sorting center in KY well the problem is you still have no protection from item not as described. Return shipping will be so high but any item 1,000 or more has big scam potential even with GSP and you will be dealing with an angry buyer in any number of countries. We sell mostly lower cost items and I am wondering what my risk is if any. We have never offered international shipping after being burned a few times; Packages not showing up Claims from buyers and long delivery times...

No one has anything negative to say about the Global Shipping Program. I am starting to wonder why am I not offering this then I remember you will be protected from item not received once it has been delivered to ebay sorting center in KY well the problem is you still have no protection from item not as described. Return shipping will be so high but any item 1,000 or more has big scam potential even with GSP and you will be dealing with an angry buyer in any number of countries. We sell mostly lower cost items and I am wondering what my risk is if any. We have never offered international shipping after being burned a few times; Packages not showing up Claims from buyers and long delivery times...

Before the GSP, the only way to protect yourself against international "not delivered" claims was to use USPS Express Mail which includes tracking and insurance. But the cost of Express Mail was too high for low/moderately priced items. If you were a large volume seller, you could mitigate the cost of a few "not delivered" claims against the increased sales generated by offering lower Priority Mail costs that didn't have any tracking but then you were basically trusting the buyer that they received it. Since the number of sellers who were willing to do this was probably low and eBay wants to increase the number of international sales/sellers, the only way to do that was to create a program like the GSP. 

Look at eBay's forums and you will see complaints about the GSP in regards to shipping/delivery times and shipping costs/import duties. Negative feedback about shipping/delivery times may be removed by eBay if you use the GSP. Import duties are based upon the cost/value of the item so lower priced items will have lower import duties.

IMO, for small/low value items, I would offer GSP (if you qualify). I would not do it for large/high value items because the small cost difference of using Express Mail and the quality control you have it doing it yourself would outweigh the "convenience" of the GSP. But it all depends on how much time/effort you as a seller want to dedicate to it.

Lol, I work right across the street from those morons. I've walked over there and tried to hand deliver my GSP-sold items in the past, but the ham-fisted-meat-brain security guard at the gate wouldn't let me. So I pay USPS to carry my box about 200ft. 

Our main office is across the street, but we also have a warehouse right next to theirs (literally, we share a wall). They always park in front of our loading dock, so we have their cars towed. They have really high attrition because I'm sure it's a **** job, so there's always new guys who don't know not to park there. 

• Like 1

International is obviously the future for eBay so of course they are making money from it and the international shipping center costs money to staff/run. However, eBay currently only lets certain/proven sellers offer the GSP. eBay has to trust you first because they are assuming a cost/risk in being a facilitator/middle man.

That is no longer true and hasn't been for quite awhile. The GSP is not only available to all US sellers now, but sellers are automatically opted in when they begin selling and must opt out to NOT offer it.

All I can offer is my own experiences with GSP, which have been very positive.