41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

5k damaged boxes....yeah sure.  Who the hell is lego ambassador?  Where ever you are getting this nonsense---doesn't need to spread here.  Anybody can start a rumor on the internet--we are all here with fake names after all.  I heard wave 5 is coming---and it's carrying a maersk ship, with 10,000 more crawlers.  I heard this whole fiasco was a ruse by Lego to catch resellers.  Lego have been buying them back through proxies worldwide for $400+ to get the names and addresses of the resellers---then they just reintroduce them back to the market at $200 retail.  Pure genius!  That is what I heard.

This is where he got his information from http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/210950#Comment_210950

If you belong to a LUG, one member of the group has access to the Ambassador forum where they can ask exactly those types of questions.

5k damaged boxes....yeah sure.  Who the hell is lego ambassador?  Where ever you are getting this nonsense---doesn't need to spread here.  Anybody can start a rumor on the internet--we are all here with fake names after all.  I heard wave 5 is coming---and it's carrying a maersk ship, with 10,000 more crawlers.  I heard this whole fiasco was a ruse by Lego to catch resellers.  Lego have been buying them back through proxies worldwide for $400+ to get the names and addresses of the resellers---then they just reintroduce them back to the market at $200 retail.  Pure genius!  That is what I heard.

http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/lego-group/programs-and-visits/lego-ambassador

The major lego boards all have access to the ambassadors and this information was released on 8/7. I don't ever recall an ambassador lying in the past but I suppose it is possible.

Well the Lego Ambassador said 15k were sold during the first wave. 5k were shipped back to the factory due to damaged boxes and those were used to fill backorders and the second wave. We now have a third wave and you are mentioning a fourth. Things that make you go hmmmm.

TLG doesn't generally share their production information with the public, so I'm not sure why they would tell Ambassadors this kind of info knowing that they would just pass it along to everyone else.  

Nobody really has a clue.  There is no way to tell how many were sold or resold and resold again.  Whatever the amount, I'm pretty sure there will be another release  before XMAS.  

I am still working on this release! The storeroom at my LBR seems to have a never ending supply. It may well run into xmas. I am guessing the major resellers in my area were all banned as they would usually scoop these up before anyone else had a chance.

I am still working on this release! The storeroom at my LBR seems to have a never ending supply. It may well run into xmas. I am guessing the major resellers in my area were all banned as they would usually scoop these up before anyone else had a chance.

Major resellers are not stopped by trifling things like being "banned". They don't get to be major resellers by giving up at the first sign of difficulty.

If and when I can no longer get all the Lego I want with four household members/employees and four Lego stores in easy striking distance, I would be completely fine with sending other friends, family, or passing teenagers to buy for me for a $10 "thanks!" fee per large exclusive set, and/or multiple VIP accounts, etc.

I heard this whole fiasco was a ruse by Lego to catch resellers.  Lego have been buying them back through proxies worldwide for $400+ to get the names and addresses of the resellers---then they just reintroduce them back to the market at $200 retail.  Pure genius!  That is what I heard.

Send them my way.  I'll sell them mine.  They can have my address, phone number, DOB, SS#, A blood sample, a stool sample, a drug test and I'll even appear on either Maury Povich or Jerry Springer (but not both).  I might be the father.

No way it's a ruse, if so they are the dumbest company ever... 

1.  You could just buy from anyone reseller on ebay/amazon/personal website and get the names and addresses at a fraction of the cost and effort.  (I assume it takes a lot of work just to launch a set.)

2.  At the prices these were going for there are a lot of COLLECTORS who sold b/c the price was just too good to pass up. 

3.  See point 1.

4.  See point 2.

• Like 1

Has anyone considered that these waves weren't intentional, but rather an unintended consequence of extreme demand met only with typical distribution? I assume all 41999's were produced in the same factory and it seems unlikely that TLG would fly inventory internationally.

So you have: manufacturing time + shipping prep time + travel to port + ship load + sailing time + ship offload + customs + travel to continental distribution center + inventory tracking + distribution planning + travel to rail yard or semi-truck loading + cross country travel + regional and local distribution + store receiving.

I don't work in distribution logistics, but I've experienced first hand the time it can take to sail on a sizable ship to another continent, as well as the wrench customs can throw into a schedule. I think without the super high demand, this whole process is transparent to the customer.

Of course if the 41999 is produced in multiple factories around the world in tandem then my theory is broken. If not, what do you guys think? A simple case of TLG not able to keep up?

• Like 2

Has anyone considered that these waves weren't intentional, but rather an unintended consequence of extreme demand met only with typical distribution? I assume all 41999's were produced in the same factory and it seems unlikely that TLG would fly inventory internationally.

So you have: manufacturing time + shipping prep time + travel to port + ship load + sailing time + ship offload + customs + travel to continental distribution center + inventory tracking + distribution planning + travel to rail yard or semi-truck loading + cross country travel + regional and local distribution + store receiving.

I don't work in distribution logistics, but I've experienced first hand the time it can take to sail on a sizable ship to another continent, as well as the wrench customs can throw into a schedule. I think without the super high demand, this whole process is transparent to the customer.

Of course if the 41999 is produced in multiple factories around the world in tandem then my theory is broken. If not, what do you guys think? A simple case of TLG not able to keep up?

That could be a very well factor of the multiple waves. It all depends on how fast some shipments arrive.

• Like 1

Anybody remembered the old Vesta Wind Turbine 4999?  I'm not sure if the set is as rare as this one.  Maybe that set can help predict the value of this set?

That is a very cool model. Sealed 41999s will never be so rare, but production runs are an unknown quantity... How many Unimogs are there? 100,000? 75,000? Does it matter, when we're comparing a Unimog to the Lego Technic Limited Edition 4x4 Crawler... 20,000 might be an average run for a $200 Technic set. But Future Buyer didn't know it existed during the five months it retailed. The truncated time window trumps any concern over rarity. And rarity can only be judged by the secondary market; if it's not for sale, it doesn't exist, really. So all the people sleeping on crawler futons are comfy, and they'll all wake up sporadically. After this next wave passes, there will never be as many sealed sets for sale again.

And if you're reading this and you don't have one, you know you want one. And if you had $400 I bet you'd get one. You hope it stays at $400 for as long as it possibly can. That's why it won't.

No way it's a ruse, if so they are the dumbest company ever... 

1.  You could just buy from anyone reseller on ebay/amazon/personal website and get the names and addresses at a fraction of the cost and effort.  (I assume it takes a lot of work just to launch a set.)

2.  At the prices these were going for there are a lot of COLLECTORS who sold b/c the price was just too good to pass up. 

3.  See point 1.

4.  See point 2.

Lol. I love the emphasis.

Guest TabbyBoy

To put things into perspective, I was told that 230,000 Unimogs have been made so far and the machines are still rolling at full speed. It's from a friend's wife in Legoland so I take it with a pinch of salt. I'm thinking much more than that are out there. To be honest, I think 20,000 is a tiny amount and the 41999 is worth it's weight in Rhodium.

To put things into perspective, I was told that 230,000 Unimogs have been made so far and the machines are still rolling at full speed. It's from a friend's wife in Legoland so I take it with a pinch of salt. I'm thinking much more than that are out there. To be honest, I think 20,000 is a tiny amount and the 41999 is worth it's weight in Rhodium.

I heard though that more Rhodium was made than was initially promised, which could bring its value down. Someone should start a class action lawsuit.

I am confused. Did Mark get banned? If so that seems insane to me. He literally just joined today. A ton of people on this very site asked him to join and have been dealing with him. He probably assumed he should ask about selling and stuff here based on that. Talk about being a horrible neighbor if that's what just happened. The guy who is clearly a big time Lego investor is now banned from the Lego investing board? I don't get it. Maybe you guys are referring to someone else and if so that's cool. If it's Mark I really think this could have been handled better.

banned and now back,

I am trying to play catch up with the Lego Winter Village sets.  I have this Technic set that I would like to use as a possible trade.  I am in need of the Winter Village Toy Shop but know that this set can be found on Ebay between $200 - $250.  Would it be fair to ask for the Toy Shop and then another set from this series, preferably either the Winter Village Bakery or the Post Office?  Thank you for your replies.

Ive got the winter village bakey 10216 :)