41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

I am little bit confused so help me out.

I purchased one 41999 during the initial launch due to LEGO's "exclusive limited 20,000 production run" promo.

Fast forward couple of months, during my casual conversation with a local LEGO employee, I was informed that due to launch success, LEGO is producing more units beyond the initial 20,000.

If true, shouldn't that depress the market price from a collector's perspective? 

Why are people paying so much premium for this?  As a LEGO / Technic / Mindstorm fan, I am sorry but this truck is fugly.

I purchased one 41999 during the initial launch due to LEGO's "exclusive limited 20,000 production run" promo.

Fast forward couple of months, during my casual conversation with a local LEGO employee, I was informed that due to launch success, LEGO is producing more units beyond the initial 20,000.

If true, shouldn't that depress the market price from a collector's perspective? 

Why are people paying so much premium for this?  As a LEGO / Technic / Mindstorm fan, I am sorry but this truck is fugly.

How many times must we address this? Lego won't create more of this specifically called out limited edition set. That WON'T happen. Why do you ask? Well it's doubtful a multi billion dollar company will risk incredibly bad press and a class action lawsuit over an extremely small amount of money. The Lego store employees know almost nothing as has been seen time and time again. What does seem to be happening is Lego is releasing these in batches.

There is one thing I know, is not to trust a Lego employee. Most of the time they lie to you, but 1% of the time they are actually right. I am hoping that they are wrong.

Any official statement from TLG to substantiate this ? The concensus around here is LEGO employees are not the most reliable source of information.

Unless this line is offcially changed by TLG, all we know is there are only 20,000 copies of this set.  Moreover, it looks like TLG has not distributed all 20,000 copies to the open market, most likely they have learned from the Minecraft debacle last year.

Per the S@H page: (http://shop.lego.com/en-US/4x4-Crawler-Exclusive-Edition-41999)

Guest TabbyBoy

Wasn't EK the initials of the designer? Assuming "EK" and "of 20,000" can't change, we have nothing to worry about. I believe there's 20,000 supplied with a few extra for warranty purposes. We are quids in I reckon.

How many times must we address this? Lego won't create more of this specifically called out limited edition set. That WON'T happen. Why do you ask? Well it's doubtful a multi billion dollar company will risk incredibly bad press and a class action lawsuit over an extremely small amount of money. The Lego store employees know almost nothing as has been seen time and time again. What does seem to be happening is Lego is releasing these in batches.

Don't be mean. Lol - He made the mistake we have all made - listening to a Lego employee.

And not everyone has read this thread despite its popularity :)

LOL....Class action lawsuit?  What are the damages?  Who was damaged?  Resellers?  Good luck with that one.  If LEGO decided to make 30,000 copies, you would never know or be able to prove it.  Nobody would care, except for a couple of flippers and the carpet guy.

You would if two people happen to post pics of identical license plates. Of course, odds of that happening aren't that big, but theoretically, it could happen.

The odds are not that big, because some of these sets will be in the hands of investors and they will not be opened up for a while or at all.

You would if two people happen to post pics of identical license plates. Of course, odds of that happening aren't that big, but theoretically, it could happen.

Yes, that could happen.  But if LEGO originally decided to go the traditional route with US license plate numbers(3 letters and 3 #s)...or different versions for different countries, there would be no way to check.  I'm not saying they would or did make more than 20,000, all I'm saying they easily could and there would be very few, if any, repercussions for them.

Yes, that could happen.  But if LEGO originally decided to go the traditional route with US license plate numbers(3 letters and 3 #s)...or different versions for different countries, there would be no way to check.  I'm not saying they would or did make more than 20,000, all I'm saying they easily could and there would be very few, if any, repercussions for them.

{conspiracy theory}

Perhaps they would do that specifically to mess with the investors / resellers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

{/conspiracy theory}