41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

I think Ed's right, and don't get me wrong, I've got a few of both the HH and the 41999, but most people, even on this thread weren't dealing in Technic prior to the release of the 41999.  I myself have had some decent returns in the Technic but that has been a large topic of discussion.  I think in general, more of the population can relate to a great modular like the HH.  Just my opinion.

I was told that this last wave came from overseas, from where I and they did not know, but the Crawler was not doing very well in sales, so Lego had them shipped back and distributed them to various stores around the country. One California shop had 50 of them last week!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should this post belong to the What I Heard from An Lego Employee Today thread?

I hope it doesn't bring big bugs........I don't much like big bugs, small bugs don't bother me as much.

Thanks for reminding me of that Ebay picture from a few weeks ago.  The one with the dead stinkbug in the Lego house.  I thought I was over it.  I really did.  I even bought a minifigure from Ebay tonight, but now I want to cancel the shipment.  Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled broadcast.

• Like 1

Picked up 2 more of these at my local lego store today. Went in there real quick to grab the Thanksgiving polybag and low and behold they had these just sitting on the shelf. Nobody, and I do mean nobody, was paying them any attention at all which is precisely why I think this set may be in trouble once the resellers stop buying. I hope our 41999 prince does well but I now have real concerns over this one.

You have a good point here.  We didn't get two years of LEGO advertising the crap out of these.  They might actually have done better in the after market if there had been 50,000 for sale, distributed over the course of a year.

One other thing to consider is the effect of YouTube (and similar social mediums) on the after market.  When I came out of my dark ages I first discovered a lot of retired sets by stumbling on videos about them.  There are a lot of 9398 vs 41999 videos and I wish The Brick Show would review the set (they've reviewed other Technic sets).  These videos will help with on-going exposure and may spawn additional sales down the road.

On that, if anyone has an opened set, please consider letting The Brick Show borrow it long enough to do a review of it.  Especially if you have the box. That would be excellent on-going exposure for this set.

• Like 1

so i got a email on ebay from Mark offering to buy all my Crawlers 41999 for 450$ each and he is in UK. i said i have 4 and i am ready to sell you at 450$ each next reply i got " please change the price to 25$ each" i said dont waste your and my time replys back that i will pay you 1800 for 4 but you need to put selling price as low as possible so that i cannot be charged for huge custom cost....

i think this guy is fraud...did any one else interact with him?

so i got a email on ebay from Mark offering to buy all my Crawlers 41999 for 450$ each and he is in UK. i said i have 4 and i am ready to sell you at 450$ each next reply i got " please change the price to 25$ each" i said dont waste your and my time replys back that i will pay you 1800 for 4 but you need to put selling price as low as possible so that i cannot be charged for huge custom cost....

A bunch of people here have dealt with him. He isn't a fraud. He is trying to save a bunch of money but I would be really careful doing this. If you have an issue PayPal will want your customs forms and will take issue with your claim if it doesn't match your customs form and it's also illegal to falsify a customs form.

IIRC this is the guy that's buying almost every US-Crawler available.

It's a no brainer for him to buy his Crawlers in the US instead of EU, cheapest one on ebay UK - item located in the Uk - is sitting at 400 GBP.

He's completely legit. The UK import duties/taxes for high value items is extremely high because their VAT (sales tax) is 20%. If you want him to pay you (instead of his government) $450 + shipping, you will have to do what willy431 is doing for him in terms of declaring value. Technically illegal/immoral, etc (I'm not a lawyer) and probably putting any damage/shipping insurance claim at risk. 

Do what you are most comfortable with. 

just a simple question: does anybody know if someone have bought this set to build it and not to resell?

I am actually going to be building one with my son when he's a little older.

This set has actually made me a fan of Technic, which is LEGO's ultimate intention. Was never really interested before but after seeing it in person (my LEGO store built one), it's really cool looking and the power/RC functions make it very appealing from a kid/playing point of view. Now, I'm interested in the new Mobile Crane MK II.

Of course, it helps that selling others have made my set "free" and the fact that a used one has already sold on eBay for ~$300 (more than retail).