41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

It all comes down to opportunity cost. I finished selling all my crawlers for $500 USD net each last week. I have already turned that cash into alot more sets with a mountain of free HGS on their way. I will be selling those sets for twice my cost this time next year. If each crawler sells for more than $1080 Oct 2014 I have lost out, if not then I made the right choice.

Well I dont know but to me personally.... selling 5 sets for 20$ profit each = more work than selling 1 set for 100$ profit after 3 years, because I have to go to post office 5 times instead of 1 have to package 5 times instead of once etc....

This may not be true of other countries, but USPS can pickup packages for free at your home, so driving to the post office is unnecesary.

I have my per hour income on my spreadsheet, I need to get home and check the average, but I'm sure it's more than $15/hr, which is fine by me since I have more fun flipping than holding.

Is this the longest thread EVER???

Still shy by around 1000 posts or so.  

This may not be true of other countries, but USPS can pickup packages for free at your home, so driving to the post office is unnecesary.

I have my per hour income on my spreadsheet, I need to get home and check the average, but I'm sure it's more than $15/hr, which is fine by me since I have more fun flipping than holding.

I put small boxes in the mail, large ones I drive.  It has really become a fool proof system.  The post office is on my way to work.  I can stop every morning if need be.

This pertains to a few posts back, but sometimes I wonder how many guys here are just plain full of sh*t. I can think of at least one who seems to be having trouble controlling the constant spew coming forth from his mouth. Usually it's better to let it slide but when someone makes so much effort to get noticed, it gets a bit annoying. I have a 5 yr old who doesn't need attention like this guy. Make it stop.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

This pertains to a few posts back, but sometimes I wonder how many guys here are just plain full of sh*t. I can think of at least one who seems to be having trouble controlling the constant spew coming forth from his mouth. Usually it's better to let it slide but when someone makes so much effort to get noticed, it gets a bit annoying. I have a 5 yr old who doesn't need attention like this guy. Make it stop.

Name and shame, I would.

Lol I know who this is!

Still shy by around 1000 posts or so.  

I put small boxes in the mail, large ones I drive.  It has really become a fool proof system.  The post office is on my way to work.  I can stop every morning if need be.

I guess I don't appreciate how awesome it is to have a USPS and FEDEX drop point in my work building.

You are a fool .. I am going to use the quick flip to buy clearance legos during bacl friday flip those rinse repeat. I can guarentee that using the quick flip method and throwing all your profits back into the quick flip rinse repeat cycle I will make way way way more than holding onto the set for 4+ years. You have no idea how to invest. Go back to stocks makes no sense just like you.

I still think its funny and a complete waste of time! I'm sure your girlfriend would rather have a new car than some Cheetos for the road trip. Sure you can flip theses sets to buy more fir brigades and hh. So you can sit on those too....It's quick flippers like this that can't last long term. Doubling your money is great now but later on I'm sure you'll wish you had one to sell or own. I'll have one for sale with you name on it for 1200.. I'm not desperate for cash to do a quick flip. I believe I made over 3000 in sales last week from my chair not from my car.. Maybe I should just give up trading lego.. Since out of the 15 crawlers I got, I only paid for 4 , the rest traded from quick flippers trying to get they're cash back.

I still think its funny and a complete waste of time! I'm sure your girlfriend would rather have a new car than some Cheetos for the road trip. Sure you can flip theses sets to buy more fir brigades and hh. So you can sit on those too....It's quick flippers like this that can't last long term. Doubling your money is great now but later on I'm sure you'll wish you had one to sell or own. I'll have one for sale with you name on it for 1200.. I'm not desperate for cash to do a quick flip. I believe I made over 3000 in sales last week from my chair not from my car.. Maybe I should just give up trading lego.. Since out of the 15 crawlers I got, I only paid for 4 , the rest traded from quick flippers trying to get they're cash back.

Guys, guys.  Both systems work.  People have different strategies, it's the ones who have fully thought it through that last.  Now can we get back to the Crawler.

Also, has anyone built a crawler yet?  This is one thing that does worry me about the set, I haven't heard of many building it.

I don't see any value judging or being critical of how another person chooses to make their money with Lego's.  I am happy doing what I do and I hope others are happy the way they do this.  The one concern I have long term for this set is who really wants it?  Right now it seems like investors are all over this set but I have yet to see much in the way of hobbyists.  My concern is that this becomes an all investor kind of set and I just don't know what means for the long term market.  I sold 8 as quick flips and I now have 6 left and I am unsure exactly what to do with them.

Guys, guys.  Both systems work.  People have different strategies, it's the ones who have fully thought it through that last.  Now can we get back to the Crawler.

Also, has anyone built a crawler yet?  This is one thing that does worry me about the set, I haven't heard of many building it.

I bought one from the first wave and built it before flipping/investing any, and it's a really slick Technic set.  There's a reason there's a lot demand for this set - it's freakin awesome!  Fun build, great looks, awesome 70s design that's never been done, great color scheme (including the sweet white stripe), and tons of Power Functions.  It drives well, too - very sturdy.  The only downside is it isn't very fast, but anyone wishing to build it can modify the gear ratio fairly easily.  The exclusive license plate number is like icing on the sundae - makes you feel like you truly have a limited edition.  Even the box is awesome - I think TLC hit a homerun with this one.

EDIT - the tires even have a slight whitewall to them!  Another great detail that's easily overlooked.

• Like 1

You are right! My bad ! Got a little carried away :( .. Back to the crawler, if you guys have two, build one. Your not going to lose too much value on it.

post-14841-0-77489200-1382024820_thumb.j

Sometimes I think what if there is a newer Crawler version out in the next year or two, with a complete new design, different body color, and with a $199 price tag?  Will people still be interested in paying a high premiuim (like over $500) to get this older Limited Edition Crawler?   This could potentially stop the growth of this set.

What's your thought on this?

Sometimes I think what if there is a newer Crawler version out in the next year or two, with a complete new design, different body color, and with a $199 price tag?  Will people still be interested in paying a high premiuim (like over $500) to get this older Limited Edition Crawler?   This could potentially stop the growth of this set.

It's call 9398 that cost the same right now. The 9398 has a white pickup truck shell vs the 41999 with a blue General Lee shell, it's essentailly the same thing plus the LED lights.

I don't think there's any way to prove that one method of investing is better than the other, given that a lot of cash that is made is reinvested back into other sets, which may perform almost as well as this set will.  We are all just speculating here.  

And to the poster who suggests calculating time and effort placed into LEGO investing, I say that this is just a hobby for some of us.  It's fun to turn a profit and be able to pay for the hobby itself.  I enjoy deal hunting and predicting which sets may do well in the future, but there is absolutely no way I could make the kind of cash I make in my real job when I start calculating hourly pay.  Doing that takes the fun away from this hobby.

• Like 1

I highly doubt LEGO would do a different limited edition Crawler.  However, they may decide to carry this tradition and do limited edition runs of other LEGO sets.  If that happens it may take away some of the interest in this set, but this set will still be unique in its own right.