41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Let me know how that worked out on those death stars when their first retiring rumors started.

The difference though, was that 41999 was known from the start of being very limited. So it would not have been that big of a gamble to put it on a CC and then sell the sets some short time later.

Now for sets that even now we know are retiring, I wouldn't suggest doing it, because it's hard to predict how quickly something will go up in price.

buying something for investment on borrowed money/credit card is ill advised. Would you take a loan from the bank to invest in stocks? No you use what money you are willing to/able to lose when you invest in toys/stocks/anything

It's not ill advised at all.  It is in fact quite common to get investment loans from banks to invest in stocks. As long as the interest rate you pay is lower than your return it is a great strategy, to be applied prudently. In that vein, consider lego. Unlike stocks, lego sets generally do not fall in value. At worst, you should always be able to sell a set at retail price after EOL. So your potential loss is quite limited while your upside is fairly safe compared to stocks since most sets do not have volatile price swings.

Here's an example of something I could do today. My credit card just sent me a balance transfer offer with a 1% interest rate for a year. If I buy a boatload of lego sets at any of the semi regular 50% off deals I see, one could look at it as I really got 49% off to account for the interest. In my experience, you can usually sell any 50% off set for regular retail price after EOL. That's a 100% return, at a cost of 1%. When you consider that your average stock return is 6-8% in a year, I'll take the lego appreciation any day of the week.

• Like 2

It's not ill advised at all.  It is in fact quite common to get investment loans from banks to invest in stocks. As long as the interest rate you pay is lower than your return it is a great strategy, to be applied prudently. In that vein, consider lego. Unlike stocks, lego sets generally do not fall in value. At worst, you should always be able to sell a set at retail price after EOL. So your potential loss is quite limited while your upside is fairly safe compared to stocks since most sets do not have volatile price swings.

Here's an example of something I could do today. My credit card just sent me a balance transfer offer with a 1% interest rate for a year. If I buy a boatload of lego sets at any of the semi regular 50% off deals I see, one could look at it as I really got 49% off to account for the interest. In my experience, you can usually sell any 50% off set for regular retail price after EOL. That's a 100% return, at a cost of 1%. When you consider that your average stock return is 6-8% in a year, I'll take the lego appreciation any day of the week.

You have to be smart, but I am definitely here.

I needed capital to start my Ebay store up (about 5-6K). Rather than take it out of savings, I opened a CC with a 0% offer for 12 months. BAM - initial investment.

I have paid it off within 3 months.

• Like 2

buying something for investment on borrowed money/credit card is ill advised. Would you take a loan from the bank to invest in stocks? No you use what money you are willing to/able to lose when you invest in toys/stocks/anything

Rubbish.  Businesses use debt all the time to fund their operation.  It's called leverage.  Not many businesses have a 0% debt to equity ratio, and if they do their owners are often not using their position to leverage for expansion properly.

I run my Lego operation like a business.  Some of it is funded through debt.  As long as returns outstrip the cost of that debt then there is no problem doing so.

• Like 3

Nice post on leverage Grolim. Was going to use that same word :) It is all individual though. Clearly some people don't want to leverage themselves, and that's okay. If they would lose sleep at night worrying about paying of debt then it's not the best idea for them. Most aggressive companies do however use leverage...in some cases in the form of a public stock offerings. Anyone want to buy some shares of El Guapo?

"Thank you for the reply. I understand other options exist and can appreciate wanting to get the most for this item. If 300 with shipping included is possible for one of these, it would make Christmas a little brighter at this home. Your thoughtful consideration is greatly appreciated, thank you."

no.

"Thank you for the reply. I understand other options exist and can appreciate wanting to get the most for this item. If 300 with shipping included is possible for one of these, it would make Christmas a little brighter at this home. Your thoughtful consideration is greatly appreciated, thank you."

no.

Is this the same person who offered you $200 for the set?