41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Given that a lot of Technic collectors will use Bricklink to purchase retired sets, it's quite interesting to look at the stats from there for an indication of the current market trends for 41999. As of today, it looks like this (in US$):

August: 113 sets sold at an average of $452

Sept: 73 sets sold at avg of $424

Oct: 52 sets at avg of $387

Nov: 26 sets at avg of $398

Dec (so far): 21 sets at avg of $369

There are currrently 304 sets available on BL starting at US$340, so it appears that supply is ahead of demand in the short-term. It's gotta be a good investment in the long run though, surely?

Given that a lot of Technic collectors will use Bricklink to purchase retired sets, it's quite interesting to look at the stats from there for an indication of the current market trends for 41999. As of today, it looks like this (in US$):

August: 113 sets sold at an average of $452

Sept: 73 sets sold at avg of $424

Oct: 52 sets at avg of $387

Nov: 26 sets at avg of $398

Dec (so far): 21 sets at avg of $369

There are currrently 304 sets available on BL starting at US$340, so it appears that supply is ahead of demand in the short-term. It's gotta be a good investment in the long run though, surely?

Let's put things in perspective for a second.  The 41999 has been retired, what...a month?  People are griping that they are only worth $350 -$375 from a MSRP of $200.  LOL.  That's a damn impressive return.  I think many of you flippers have flipped your lids...

• Like 4

Let's put things in perspective for a second.  The 41999 has been retired, what...a month?  People are griping that they are only worth $350 -$375 from a MSRP of $200.  LOL.  That's a damn impressive return.

No question about that. I just thought the BL trend was interesting because of the unique nature of this set and the high level of interest from resellers.

No question about that. I just thought the BL trend was interesting because of the unique nature of this set and the high level of interest from resellers.

Exactly - High level of interest from resellers. I don't think the 41999 is extremely attractive to the normal builder. Investors are interested because it has very limited production, but outside of that, there's not much that is more desireable over the regular Technic Crawler.

Exactly - High level of interest from resellers. I don't think the 41999 is extremely attractive to the normal builder. Investors are interested because it has very limited production, but outside of that, there's not much that is more desireable over the regular Technic Crawler.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I built this set, and it's one of the best Technic sets I've assembled. If this set was undesirable, it wouldn't be selling for nearly 100% over retail less than one month after retirement. Resellers are betting on this one because it's a great set, not in spite of it.

• Like 1

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I built this set, and it's one of the best Technic sets I've assembled. If this set was undesirable, it wouldn't be selling for nearly 100% over retail less than one month after retirement. Resellers are betting on this one because it's a great set, not in spite of it.

It is an awesome set, but I don't think it's accurate to imply that the resale price has been climbing to the point that it is now selling at twice retail a month after retirement. For a very large number of technic fans this set was never available in the first place. It never had a release, let alone a retirement date. Lack of access to Lego sales channels for many people pushed the resale price sky high immediately - particularly because of reseller interest. The BL stats appear to indicate that demand is now declining and the price likewise due to a current excess of supply.

You can mostly thank Mark for 100% over retail selling.... he stopped buying look where the price went since that day? :)

You can mostly thank Mark for 100% over retail selling.... he stopped buying look where the price went since that day? :)

THats a little overstated. There are barely any more than normal on Ebay despite Mark not buying. I assume many people are just holding now. Once more of these are exhausted, this set will climb. Even IF its not very wanted, there are ONLY 20,000 of them.

There have to be 20,000 people who want this set. Right?

THats a little overstated. There are barely any more than normal on Ebay despite Mark not buying. I assume many people are just holding now. Once more of these are exhausted, this set will climb. Even IF its not very wanted, there are ONLY 20,000 of them.

There have to be 20,000 people who want this set. Right?

There are probably 10s on THOUSANDS who want this set... the question is at what price....

I know I would only want this set for 100$ or less.... because it means little to me....

Question is are there 10.000 people who want this set for 800$ or 700$ or 500$ or 400$ ???

I cannot answer such question because I do not know.

There are probably 10s on THOUSANDS who want this set... the question is at what price....

I know I would only want this set for 100$ or less.... because it means little to me....

Question is are there 10.000 people who want this set for 800$ or 700$ or 500$ or 400$ ???

I cannot answer such question because I do not know.

Yeah I see that point. but I try not to think in those terms because I don't see that with any set. lol.

Why would someone spend 100$ on Hulks Hellicarrier? or $1500 for Market Street?

Yeah I see that point. but I try not to think in those terms because I don't see that with any set. lol.

Why would someone spend 100$ on Hulks Hellicarrier? or $1500 for Market Street?

Well I would have to say because he read Comics about Hulk and wants him, about market street I am not sure, because he is completionist or is  making a huge city...

I am not expert on peoples psychology but I know as a kid I had Dragon Knights Dragon Den and i lost it and I was willing to pay 100$ for a sealed one to open it and relive my memory as a kid....    

I think the set will be valuable, just not as valuable as people thought when they hype was going on, on this site when it went above 400$...

People pay those prices because they can plain and simple. I look at it as people saying look at me look at me I can afford to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a kids toy!

Not necessarily.... I can pay 400$ for a crawler but I choose not to.... because for me it is not worth 400$ (not even 200$) ....

Ok sure you thesis is correct for people with insane amount of money (a couple of millions and up)  but for majority of us average or above average money makers we could buy many things but we choose not to....

No stock left.  It wouldn't let me add it to my cart.

Edit - here's the error it gave me:

The following item: LEGO Technic 4 X 4 Crawler Co-creation 41999 has limited inventory. We've adjusted the quantity below to reflect the number we have available.

In the cart, there was nothing shown.