41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

Won't happen, large retail sites are made to handle massive amounts of traffic simultaneously, and on a MUCH higher level than this. On certain release Saturdays the Nike and Foot Locker sites are overrun with hundreds of thousands of people trying to get a ridiculously limited run.

Looks like it did happen...............demand for this set went beyond anyone's (and especially TLG's) imagination.

I have to think this site was a huge contributor to the effect. Lego is going to have to do some serious changes in their business planning to account for the investors and resellers.

• Like 1

Looks like it did happen...............demand for this set went beyond anyone's (and especially TLG's) imagination.

I have to think this site was a huge contributor to the effect. Lego is going to have to do some serious changes in their business planning to account for the investors and resellers.

LEGO needs to speak to Amazon about developing a website that can handle traffic.

So would it be fair to guess that they have already blown past that 20,000 limited run we were initially promised?

They never promised a limited 20k run. The first 20k will get two number plates, the rest will get just the one 41999 number plate.

What is most interesting for me is what the number plates will be worth as the actual set will be readily available for at least the next 2 years. I am guessing not much.

I cannot help but think that this website, plus other lego fan website and the influence of Youtube is a determining factor of what we are seeing here with this set.

Look how many new members each day are being added. I'm sure Ed can speak to the volume of traffic his site is receiving. Hell I was stymied several times this morning trying to access the forums here. I am almost certain it has to do with this topic.

Lego is going to have to come to terms with what we are seeing with their popularity right now. The best comparison I can come up with is the Beanie Baby craze of the late 90's. Now granted, Legos are not Beanie Babies and have more instrinsic value than a plush animal toy but we are seeing something here that cannot be discounted. There is a risk that Lego is going to anger their core fan base and customers with things like this happening.

Folks thought I was off about predicitng the server crash at midnight but that's eaxctly what happened. I am sure there's a lot of conferencing going on at TLG this morning about what happened. I am certain they never expected this sort of thing. And if happened now, with a Technic set I imagine it can happen again with another set in the future. At this point in time there seems to be a mania associated with Lego. This thread alone has 19 pages and it's in a Technic forum. Are there any other threads that are this active? Even the thread about the B-wing early retirement pales in comparison, or the Orc Forge or Helms deep or Target's supposed July clearance sale (that never happened).

I have a gut feeling this sort of thing is going to happen again. And what is going to result is more resentment from Lego customers that want to buy sets for actual play and NOT investing. You're going to see even more animosity towards the Lego investor. That may not be something you want to hear as a frequenting member to this site but it could result in an unintended backlash.

And I do want one (just one) of these set.....but I want it to build.......as anathema as that may seem to many of you.

• Like 1

Folks thought I was off about predicitng the server crash at midnight but that's eaxctly what happened. I am sure there's a lot of conferencing going on at TLG this morning about what happened. I am certain they never expected this sort of thing. 

What are you talking about it happens every big sale on LEGO Shop at Home lol.

They never promised a limited 20k run. The first 20k will get two number plates, the rest will get just the one 41999 number plate.

What is most interesting for me is what the number plates will be worth as the actual set will be readily available for at least the next 2 years. I am guessing not much.

Where are you getting this information?

Do you have a substantiated source?

I would like to see where this was stated as everything I have seen in the press has indicated 20K sets and no more.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but it would be nice if you could back up your statement with supportaing facts.

I wonder if there's any non-investors buying this set?

I would like to......and i consider myself a non-investor. Although if the opportunity presents itself to sell a set here and there to make a profit to buy more Legos or fund other hobbies then so be it.

Unfortunately I beleive all the investors and resellers have caused this incident with the LEGO Shop at Home site crashing/slowing down and the sold out status to occur.

Pretty sure they did promise a limited 20k run, isn't that what "purchase one of only 20,000 models" means?

I believe it was supposed to be a 20,000 run.  I don't believe they crossed that threshold yet.

Also, I picked up 4, well sorta, my parents bought 2 in which I will buy from them at a later date.

Can you post a link to any press statement from TLG stating only 20k would be made (directly from TLG, not a website misinterpreting 20k exclusive number plates). Everything I have read stated 20k would get 2 number plates, and this is stated as such on the sales page at LEGO Shop at Home. If you think only 20k units TOTAL of this are going to be sold worldwide you haven't been following TLG for very long.

Personally, I very highly doubt that this is a investor/re seller incident, I have several afol friends who could care less about investing who either went to a lego store or stayed up to place their order last night, a few even bought two just for the parts and or to have one to mod. 

I am still biding my time, but I know I shouldn't wait long, this just isn't a good time to spend in our household right now, been a pretty lousy month for bills, between $5k in property taxes owed in two installments over 3 months, our 6 month insurance bill coming up next week, a lot of unexpected home/auto repairs and a very retarded out of state ticked for running a yellow light... yes a yellow one.

Where are you getting this information?

Do you have a substantiated source?

I would like to see where this was stated as everything I have seen in the press has indicated 20K sets and no more.

I'm not trying to be confrontational but it would be nice if you could back up your statement with supportaing facts.

I don't think there is any concrete evidence for this, but there certainly is precedent.

People are speculating that once the 20,000 sets are done, TLC could re-release this set without the limited edition license plate.  There is no guarantee of this - at this point it's merely speculation.  As Spener says, if this set is re-released, TLC will likely tweak the box graphics and throw license plates with "41999" on it instead of the LE number.

That said, they did this with the 10179 - they released a limited edition with a COA, and then re-released the set without a COA.  Everything else was the same.  I believe COA versions go for slightly higher prices than non-COAs, but the difference isn't huge.  Yet, at the price the 10179s are selling for, who cares... 

• Like 1