Musical Picks

TheOrcKing

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2024 at 10:17 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

Uchuu Keiji Gavan  (Space Sheriff Gavan), the first (and best IMHO) Metal Heroes.  This was aired in Japan a decade before Power Rangers aired in the US

I have been making my way through Space Sheriff Gavan and it has been pretty fun. Kenji Ohba's performance is great and sometimes silly like in episode 18 where the hermit turtle guy obsessed in trying to find Princess Otohime (complete with the Cinderella slippers bit), Gavan uses a disguise that "Hunter Killa" sees right through, he pulls off the goatee and mustache then Gavan blows the briefest of raspberries. I ran back that scene so many times. Haha.

Every episode ending with the monster blowing up is awesome as it hilarious for some reason. I don't know why. Also, the friggin' cartoon spring "boing" sound effect when he summons the electroplate armor.

Your mention of Power Rangers reminded me of what I thought when the Makuu Space element was brought up since the very first episode feeling very much like Rita Repulsa's "Make my monster grow!". Different visuals but both doubling the monster's strength and prolonging the fight to bring out the Laser Blade followed by a wave attack finisher (Gavan Dynamic!).

15 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Kenji Ohba's performance is great

Ohba is a legend.  He was 1 of the costumed stuntmen in a few Sentai series, then he became 1 of the main characters in the several Super Sentai series.  Then he was Gavan.  He also guessed in the next 2 metal heroes series (Sharivan & Shredder), even when he was battling cancer.  The dude is badass

15 hours ago, TheOrcKing said:

Your mention of Power Rangers reminded me of what I thought when the Makuu Space element was brought up since the very first episode feeling very much like Rita Repulsa's "Make my monster grow!". Different visuals but both doubling the monster's strength and prolonging the fight to bring out the Laser Blade followed by a wave attack finisher (Gavan Dynamic!).

Makuu space thing was unique to the 3 Metal heroes series.  The Super Sentai / Power Rangers series & Kamen Riders mostly fight on earth.  Reviving destroyed monsters is pretty much in most super sentai series. 

If you have time, try to watch the Zyuuranger series, which was the base for Power Rangers seasons 1&2.  It is interesting to see the differences between the 2.  For example, Goldar has a wife in Zyuuranger.  IIRC she only appeared once in MMPR

This Youtube channel has those old shows in continuous rotations.  They also have Speed Racer, Digimon, Ultraman, and Godzilla series and movies

https://www.youtube.com/@TokuSHOUTsu/videos?view=2&sort=dd&live_view=501&shelf_id=1

• Like 1