Prediction of worth for Series 10 "Mr. Gold"

TheOrcKing

We just returned from vacation in Florida where we went to Legoland one day while there. Most every shop had one or more large bins full of series 10 Minifigures and some had shelves full of the cartons. In one of the shops the employees were talking about a family which had just left who had bought and opened some and found Mr. Gold and how they didn

If your daughter found Mr. Gold and you were letting her pick out a minifigure for herself I would let her decide.  I don't think there is any way to lose in this situation aside from letting her open up and play with it unfortunately because you run the risk of losing all of it's value.

I was just about to ask, what does your daughter want to do? I know if my son found a mr gold, there's no way i could convince him to part with it. And if Wit is right about the price eventually dropping, and I think he is, I'll probably end up buying one and presenting it to my son for a bday or xmas.

If you decide to sell, try a local site like Craigslist. You never know.

Sell fast seems to be the consensus. I'd tend to agree on a novelty item like this. Right now there is a fever for this thing because of all the marketing blitz, but once the series goes OOS and kids forget about Mr. Gold, a chunk of the audience is going to drop off. Die-hard collectors will still be wanting them, but the demand won't be as high. 

Thanks for the link! Very helpful.

I'd still feel weird going into a store to smoosh a bunch of bags. I already feel self conscious enough trying to check every single My Little Pony blind bag for the figurines I want! (Unlike Lego, the MLP makers give you a break...there's a code printed on the seam of each bag. If you know the number for the one you want you want you can find it.)

Guest eightbrick

Thanks for the link! Very helpful.

I'd still feel weird going into a store to smoosh a bunch of bags. I already feel self conscious enough trying to check every single My Little Pony blind bag for the figurines I want! (Unlike Lego, the MLP makers give you a break...there's a code printed on the seam of each bag. If you know the number for the one you want you want you can find it.)

Interesting. Lego had a similar thing in the first couple series' of figures where you could tell by dots on the side of the package or the barcode.

Interesting. Lego had a similar thing in the first couple series' of figures where you could tell by dots on the side of the package or the barcode.

They still do have dot codes, but they are not 100% reliable. I think Lego uses different codes for different shipments, but I'm not sure. Anyway the dot code for Mr. Gold, which several sites have claimed is legit, is the same code I have on my Roman soldiers. Make of that what you will.

I've tried the "dot code" method on every series since I started buying these in series 7, and they are 100% unreliable by my personal experience here in the US.

My suspicion is that LEGO realized dots codes identifying the figures (assuming this ever actually worked) would be caught onto fairly easily, and making the bags opaque and thus random would be pointless.

My theory is that the dot codes are just identifiers of the regions the shipments originated in, or the regions in where they are going.

Or they could mean absolutely nothing at all and are just machine marks akin to mold lines.

The ridiculous part is Lego doing this to us.  What is your ballpark estimate on number of people trying to get a complete set of all the collectable minifigures?  I bet it's more than 5000.

I don't believe that Lego considers Mr. Gold part of the series.  We have had the discussion ad nauseum about the ethics about buying, smooshing, and returning, I won't revisit it.  I feel that Lego dropped the ball on this as much as anybody else, it was a poor way to do a lottery such as this, but it is what it is.  They could have very easily just inserted a different leaflet with the normal minifigure that said you had won a Mr. Gold and that they would send it to you.  Would have been much simpler and the sour taste that everyone has over this fracous wouldn't be there.

Sorry for any confusion I caused with my drive-by comment:

The first line is all true.

The second line is pure irony, meant for comedic effect. If you actually try to picture what I claim to have done, it's ridiculous, right?

buying a box feeling all packs then returning it when you don't find what you are looking for.....SHADY!

buying a box feeling all packs then returning it when you don't find what you are looking for.....SHADY!

It's Tesco's Refund policy. I had heard of others doing it with previous series - rather than feel up the packs in the store, just do it at home then return the ones you don't want.  It's an ethical grey area, and Huskers1236 is right when he says this shouldn't be discussed again here.

So, I'm sorry for the derail.

To answer the original question: I think Mr Gold will be worth $500 or more.

It's Tesco's Refund policy. I had heard of others doing it with previous series - rather than feel up the packs in the store, just do it at home then return the ones you don't want.  It's an ethical grey area, and Huskers1236 is right when he says this shouldn't be discussed again here.

So, I'm sorry for the derail.

To answer the original question: I think Mr Gold will be worth $500 or more.

Huskers didn't say it shouldnt be discussed here, he said he won't revisit it. Bottom line is you don't want someone to call you shady, don't bring up shady behavior in the forum.

does Mr. Gold feel different in the packet than the others?!

I wonder? A little off topic, My wife and I really liked the Vinylmations at Disney World. We really loved looking for ones. We weighed them in store between eachother and it actually worked very well. We were able to get the obvious lightest and obvious heaviest really easy.

does Mr. Gold feel different in the packet than the others?!

Yah. Top hat and cane. Also there's a diamond on top of the cane that you can feel for. Several people have said that there is a second bag inside of the initial Series 10 bag that you can feel for because it has a slightly different crinkle.

Yah. Top hat and cane. Also there's a diamond on top of the cane that you can feel for. Several people have said that there is a second bag inside of the initial Series 10 bag that you can feel for because it has a slightly different crinkle.

You think you might look weird feeling through pack after pack of minifigures? lol