Prediction of worth for Series 10 "Mr. Gold"

TheOrcKing

Maybe you're just a really "nice guy", but I feel like calling BS on this. First off, it's pretty unlikely to have two Golds in one case, secondly, even if you did get that lucky, you essentially threw away money by taking them back. Why the heck would you do that? Third, you more or less stole the one Mr. Gold you did keep, if you took the case back for a "full refund", because I'm honestly not believing you just took them back. In fact I can hardly believe a word of your entire post.

Well said.

The odds of finding 2 Mr Golds in one box must be staggering. However, I think Lego should've put series 10 minifigures in small boxes/tubes (of exactly the same size/weight) rather than bags so that customers (and greedy/selfish staff) are unable to feel for Mr Gold. I've heard of Toys R Us, WH Smith and Tesco staff rummaging through boxes before loyal, paying customers have a chance. This is shocking behaviour and I think Lego have dropped a big clanger with this one. I consider myself incredibly lucky where I found mine by buying 4 sealed boxes off eBay. BTW... He's not for sale! I'll be keeping a couple of full sets of Series 10 and will donate the other minifigures to local schools.

Is it me or is this Lego investing thing starting to bring out the worst in AFOLs?

Most can invest in LEGO w/o being greedy, some however cannot.

I'm thinking he was being sarcastic......

If so, he got me. I can usually detect sarcasm pretty well, as there is usually some humor in it. There was none of that here though, it just felt like a simple, albeit bragadoccio statement. 

Sorry for any confusion I caused with my drive-by comment:

I bought a sealed box from Tesco, opened it in the car park, felt up all the packs for the Mr Gold's hat, then took it back for a full refund.

There were actually two Mr Gold in there, but I left them for others to find.

The first line is all true.

The second line is pure irony, meant for comedic effect.  If you actually try to picture what I claim to have done, it's ridiculous, right?

Sorry for any confusion I caused with my drive-by comment:

The first line is all true.

The second line is pure irony, meant for comedic effect. If you actually try to picture what I claim to have done, it's ridiculous, right?

no you have got it all wrong, the ridiculous part is that you returned the box after you found out there were no Mr golds.......sad really.
  • Like 1

no you have got it all wrong, the ridiculous part is that you returned the box after you found out there were no Mr golds.......sad really.

The ridiculous part is Lego doing this to us.  What is your ballpark estimate on number of people trying to get a complete set of all the collectable minifigures?  I bet it's more than 5000.

We just returned from vacation in Florida where we went to Legoland one day while there. Most every shop had one or more large bins full of series 10 Minifigures and some had shelves full of the cartons. In one of the shops the employees were talking about a family which had just left who had bought and opened some and found Mr. Gold and how they didn

It all depends on whether you are a minifig collector (and how serious) or not. If you are, you would probably keep it since more than likely you will never find it again and that way you will complete Series 10 100%.

But if you're not, I would just sell him and use the money to buy something you really like or to invest

By the way, did they have anything interesting in the LEGOLAND store?

• Like 1

Her older sister was asking why we did not squish all the bags at Legoland but she had no idea how many they had there.

All the employees wear one or more Minifigures on their name tags so if you have one and want to trade all you have to do is ask and they will trade theirs for whatever you have. We were wondering if a kid got Mr. Gold and didn't think he looked that cool how they might just trade him off for something else.

It all dends on whether you are a minifig collector (and how serious) or not. If you are, you would probably keep it since more than likely you will never find it again and that way you will complete Series 100%.

But if you're not, I would just sell him and use the money to buy something you really like or to invest

By the way, did they have anything interesting in the LEGOLAND store?

In case you don't know Legoland is an Amusement Park with typical rides etc. they had one huge outdoor area with tons of displays built out of Lego. Just about anything and everything you could ever imagine. They have shops all through the park filled with Lego sets. They had a few sets at 25% discount. You do not earn VIP points for any purchases :no: which was very disappointing. We drove and had little room left to bring stuff back but my daughter wound up buying quite a few bags full of smaller items.

I went there when they opened but really did not enter any store lol. I live relatively close and have been wanting to go back both to enjoy the park again but also to check out if they have anything interesting in the stores (discounts, retired sets,etc.)

My wife said she saw where season pass holders get a 10% discount and maybe VIP points. Might be worth checking out.

Her older sister was asking why we did not squish all the bags at Legoland but she had no idea how many they had there.

All the employees wear one or more Minifigures on their name tags so if you have one and want to trade all you have to do is ask and they will trade theirs for whatever you have. We were wondering if a kid got Mr. Gold and didn't think he looked that cool how they might just trade him off for something else.

Im pretty sure if a store manager found out one of their employees traded a regular minifig to a unknowing child for their Mr Gold minifig the employee probably wouldnt be one anymore.

Im not a minifig collector but i feel like i would probably hold onto it, the $500-800 is tempting now, but once they move to the next series this minifig will be hard to come by and i can see its value going way up. They are "cheap" now as people keep finding them and people dont want to buy one as they think "oh well maybe i can find one instead of buying one" but when the series is over they have no other option but to shell out the cash on ebay or other site. Ive been considering buy a couple now, while prices are supressed by high supply and low demand, with the hope that market will change when series 11 comes out and this minifig doubles or triples in a short period of time.

I would sell it. If you are dying to get one for your personal collection, I would just wait for more to get into the market and buy another one for $300, if possible. One way, you pocket $400-$500 as TOK said, another way, you pocket $100-$200 and have Mr. Gold. 

A win-win situation IMO, but i'd rather take the $400-$500.

With only 5000 being made, the price of this is only going to go up.  I'd hold onto it and sell later, unless you really need the cash now.

This is possible, but my gut tells me this will go way down before it goes up. I say sell it. Save some money, rebuy if you really want it when a bunch have been found and then it may go way back up later in which you will still have one.

Honestly if you plan to sell it, I would sell it now while he's still relevant and fresh in the mind of collectors. I also agree that the price will go down as the hype is really what's driving the prices for this at the moment.

There have been other minifigs that were produced in much smaller quantities (the Comic-Con exclusives come to mind) and they don't fetch anywhere near what Mr. Gold does currently, so you can't say the low supply will simply increase the demand.

I have a feeling when Series 10 is out of stores, and the excitement of smooshing for him leaves with it, Mr. Gold's price will tank.

• Like 1