LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion

Captain_Obvious

On 6/21/2024 at 7:57 PM, exciter1 said:

Some past GWPs are starting to payoff, like 40486 Mini Adidas and 40448 Vintage Car.

Here's a good link to analyze the performance of all the GWPs, Insider Rewards, In-Store Promos, etc -- pretty much everything we discuss in this forum's topic.

https://www.bric*economy.com/analysis-subthemes (replace the * with a "k" 😬)

image.thumb.png.c88072a0f5258142120fa9911991313e.png

Edited by Captain_Obvious
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Here's a good link to analyze the performance of all the GWPs, Insider Rewards, In-Store Promos, etc -- pretty much everything we discuss in this forum/topic.

https://www.bric*economy.com/analysis-subthemes

I think that chart is pretty misleading. The annual growth rate is based on the Lego price that shows up on your receipt. Most of the growth is the initial jump. Looking at the two sets that were mentioned above, there has been virtually no growth:

car.jpg

adidas.jpg

Hey look, it's every "influencers" favorite set.

image.png.e17c79970ff5c88704cec21ed27b6a1f.pngimage.png.db3aa3d862b8ca9866840aa6cd43cc26.png

Maybe I'm not smart enough... but since it says growth is calculated like this... how is a set that retired less than 3 years ago, selling nearly 500% the RRP, only having annual growth of 36%? 

Almost like that entire website is built on a hype model made to make you click links for affiliate kickbacks. 

Edited by brickvoyeur

2 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

Hey look, it's every "influencers" favorite set.

image.png.e17c79970ff5c88704cec21ed27b6a1f.pngimage.png.db3aa3d862b8ca9866840aa6cd43cc26.png

Maybe I'm not smart enough... but since it says growth is calculated like this... how is a set that retired less than 3 years ago, selling nearly 500% the RRP, only having annual growth of 36%? 

Almost like that entire website is built on a hype model made to make you click links for affiliate kickbacks. 

I believe they’re using the compounded annual growth rate formula, but it looks like they rounded it up to 5 years instead of the actual 4.11 years since the retail price release to today’s value?

Edited by Captain_Obvious

7 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

I believe they’re using the compounded annual growth rate formula, but it looks like they rounded it up to 5 years instead of the actual 4.11 years since the retail price release to today’s value?

The tooltip says it goes from the date of retirement. So even rounding up it would be 3 years. Growth listed at 384% but annual growth at 36%? The site is just preying on the hype and using them as revenue. 

CAGR is a fine tool if you're calculating your overall return across a portfolio... but not a great tool calculating an individual set. 

The site fails at basic data pulls as well, as it has the helmet listed at $305.05 on Amazon, but both listings are well over $400

image.png.354ded0f141276800738e9f67f1e12e2.png

Thankfully their fancy AI model that calculates price isn't actually setting the price. Otherwise we're in store for a more than 20% drop in price in the next 2 years.

image.png.c77b2bc94daaeaa42b2e344358716fa4.png

No need to defend it, it's not your site. It's just a flawed tool, using bad data, that can't follow basic arithmetic. Even the dipwads in the brickcucks facebook group mostly reject it and utilize it mostly for tracking their collections. Which is where it works out well for those who understand the market, as the site will tell you what is being hoarded. The helmet collection is the fith most popular subtheme!

image.png.8af514b599dc353be751c8f84ef6773d.png

2 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

The tooltip says it goes from the date of retirement. So even rounding up it would be 3 years. Growth listed at 384% but annual growth at 36%?

Cool. I'm just trying to figure out how they got the 36% - F, the tooltip. It takes a lot of time to individually skew each set to rig pricing, so my logic is that they're using a formula for automation. So, my question, and I think yours was: how did they arrive at 36%? I don't trust their "words" because they say retirement date and that math didn't make sense, but the release date got me the 36%

Release: March 2020

Today's date: June 2024

n = 4.25 years

Ending Value = $290.53
Beginning Value = $59.99

CAGR = 36.3%

Sorry, the last post's math was a little rough -- was trying to do it in my head. Could still be very wrong, but I would like to get to the bottom of the 36%, thats it.