Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2024

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, keymomachine said:

I love this Mushroom House at $90. It'll be perfect for the little acorn guy from series 22 and mushroom girl from series 25.

I agree.  Such a whimsical set.  Needs a children's book to go with it.  

Edited by Mathew

Just received an e-mail from Lego that I can expect my BrickLink Designer Program order(s) in about 3 months.

"There is still time to verify that your shipping and payment information is correct. If anything has changed since you placed your order and you would like to update your information, reach out to us"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

3 absolute No’s: Pirate 

Ya, when he put it next to Barracuda it was like a wake-up call. I'm still a slave to classic themes and will have to buy. There is zero investment opportunity here -- why would you spend $230 when you can spend $300 for a Barracuda on eBay? If you own a Barracuda, what will the Isle do for you display or play-wise in comparison?

Side note @Pseudoty: let's talk boxes. I remember you being butt hurt about the quality of the old BL boxes. We might get a new and improved box because the reviewers didn't get a box for the review, making me think LEGO might be working on something improved otherwise they would have shipped whatever if the box didn't matter. We still haven't seen the new box in person for Series 1 (it's displayed on the product page though and looks quality to me) and it would make sense for them to produce a sturdy box now that this line has become official.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

why no on the train ? seriously asking
I know they complained about the build and the value but from the review:

"As quite possibly one of my favorite LEGO trains to assemble, this is a brilliant, unique design"

"It looks phenomenal, conveying all the feeling of a logging railway. I think there’s possibility for this brick-built track to be used in a full circuit, especially when hiding all the spacers under a layer of ballast and inset into a base"

so @Pseudoty I trust your input implicity but this is the one set I was actually looking forward too.  thoughts ?

I also didn't get the original stud gate train station and wish I did so I might get this one vs paying after market for the stud gate : )

19 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Can anyone post the links to the review sites with the others? I don't know which of the main bloggers got them.

20 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

We might get a new and improved box because the reviewers didn't get a box for the review, making me think LEGO might be working on something improved otherwise they would have shipped whatever if the box didn't matter.

We might but the reason  they do not get a box is because the sets are not finalized yet so they do not have the box art.  Hope Lego fine tunes them. The designer of the Ocean House is the same as the Windmill and his builds are fragile IME. 

5 hours ago, starwarsxpress said:

why no on the train ?

“To be honest, I wish the review ended right there, with an exquisite train. It’s an easy A+, and a full-throated endorsement from me to grab one on June 6th. But Logging Railway tries for more, promising a bridge topped with brick-built track that will work like standard LEGO rails. As we proceed through the build process, you’ll be able to see where and why the concept collapses.

It was at this point that I needed to perform my first rebuild of the bridge. Hinged plates began failing as I lifted the frame up off my photo backdrop, and I was left with a bit of a mess.

More collapses when adding the black tubing running parallel to the track. Any inaccuracy on how far to insert the tubing into the 1×1 brick with studs on either side caused the supports to buckle and separate from the top rails. Attempts to reconnect the upper rails then led to a full collapse. A similar pattern occurred with the slanted brown tubing, with more rebuilding as I went, trying to triage as best as I could. 

Conclusions and recommendations

I haven’t been reserved with my opinion thus far, so I won’t restate all of it here. For the money, I think there are better offerings in Bricklink Designer Program Series 2. I can’t in good conscience recommend a set that frustrated me repeatedly during the build process. And as good as the train is, it’s not “$200” good.

4 hours ago, scatttcat said:

Can anyone post the links to the review sites with the others? I don't know which of the main bloggers got them.

I did Scroll up there are 3 videos of the other sets. 

• Thanks 1

Changed my payment method for The Mountain Fortress and the rep said the system is showing an early July ship date 🤞

Who’s selling and what’s your best guess on the price ceiling? Tempted to sell if it goes for $900 in order to get my Lion’s Knight Castle for free.

Side note: it appears Castle in the Forest’s price is starting to decline from $500+ to low $400’s in response?

6 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Changed my payment method for The Mountain Fortress and the rep said the system is showing an early July ship date 🤞

Who’s selling and what’s your best guess on the price ceiling? Tempted to sell if it goes for $900 in order to get my Lion’s Knight Castle for free.

Side note: it appears Castle in the Forest’s price is starting to decline from $500+ to low $400’s in response?

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, there are a lot more people with $400 than $900

3 minutes ago, Billy Brick said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, there are a lot more people with $400 than $900

Are we talking about the same set? Lowest price on eBay is $800 and I understand the market might get flooded when released, but not bad enough for someone to let it go for the retail price of $400. I’m thinking the floor is $600..

IMG_1638.thumb.png.c28d9ca3a76635b475e6302565563bd5.png

1 minute ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Are we talking about the same set? Lowest price on eBay is $800 and I understand the market might get flooded when released, but not bad enough for someone to let it go for the retail price of $400. I’m thinking the floor is $600..

IMG_1638.thumb.png.c28d9ca3a76635b475e6302565563bd5.png

This has had a much higher volume sold and people who bought them for the quick-flip might want to get out quicker than later because of the cost investment. I agree $600 is probably the floor but that that's only going to net you maybe $100 after taxes and fees, less if you do free shipping. I would love to be wrong, it is a beautiful set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scatttcat said:

in the plethora of Castles, we finally get ONE halloween/spooky build. Sheepish

Funny thing is if it is Adventure in Transylvania that is designed by the same guy that did the Mountain Fortress castle.