Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2021

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Ya, it should look more “Space-y” considering it’s a Castle set.

The decoration is as big as the gate itself.  If the rest of the set was an absurd design it would be fitting.  But it's an AFOL set that otherwise is fairly mature and realistic looking.  Just the two flags and shield against mortar would have been perfect.  

Edited by Mathew
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Mathew said:

The decoration is as big as the gate itself.  If the rest of the set was an absurd design it would be fitting.  But it's an AFOL set that otherwise is fairly mature and realistic looking.  Just the two flags and shield against mortar would have been perfect.  

I love it, I'm going to make a second one on the back gate as well to ward off enemies. I always put all my weapons above my doorway so robbers can use them against me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Anyone have any movement on their orders? A week later and my other 3 sets are still just "in Process" not "in Warehouse" yet. 

Same. Called CS, they said no issue, and would nudge the warehouse to ship it or send me an email if something was up. That was last week. No email received and still in process?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2024 at 2:47 PM, Captain_Obvious said:

Are we talking about the same set? Lowest price on eBay is $800 and I understand the market might get flooded when released, but not bad enough for someone to let it go for the retail price of $400. I’m thinking the floor is $600..

On 6/3/2024 at 2:53 PM, Billy Brick said:

This has had a much higher volume sold and people who bought them for the quick-flip might want to get out quicker than later because of the cost investment. I agree $600 is probably the floor but that that's only going to net you maybe $100 after taxes and fees, less if you do free shipping. I would love to be wrong, it is a beautiful set.

When I'm wrong, I'm really wrong. It’s currently averaging $515, and I don’t expect it to recover to $600 until perhaps next year. Despite my hopes that this new set would reduce the price of 910001, the difference has been minimal, only about $25 to $50 decrease.

6 hours ago, Billy Brick said:

Do they not include the instructions QR card in the smaller sets? Building the beach snack shack and it didn’t have one. Thanks

Yes they do it is on the back of the card insert. They are in the app as well. 

IMG_2444.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

WOW, no more Modular designs allowed. I’m surprised they didn’t say no Castle as well but you can no longer use factions like Black Falcon. 

Ya, that was unexpected. I could feel the weight in the room when he delivered that. Remember that one dude asking if "modular castles" were allowed -- his response was, "Uh ya, it's Castle" lol. 

A lot of good info packed into this one. Excited for his interest in smaller sets too. Also, "the average person likes 50+ submissions", I thought I was the only weirdo who did that ha.

• Like 2

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/guidelines.page

Some of these requirements are just insane and I would think a lot of designers will just give up. Lego themselves doesn’t even follow these guidelines. Look at the minifigure and sticker requirements. Oh, and then there is this:

1. In order to help us project a vision of a sustainable future, we wish for you to adhere to these additional guidelines:

1. Avoid depicting harm to animals (e.g. hunting and trapping; tied-up, caged or dead animals). Fishing is acceptable as well as the usage of any standard element that is used to depict a food element (e.g. part 64648).
    2. Avoid depicting wild animals in zoos, circuses, aquariums or other situations that are designed for human entertainment. Please only show wild animals in their natural habitats.
    3. Avoid highlighting fossil fuels like coal, oil, and gas (e.g. depicting refineries, fuel storage or gas stations). It’s acceptable to showcase historical methods of transportation that rely on fossil fuels (e.g. steam locomotives). Modern vehicles need to adhere to this guideline, therefore the propulsion method should be ambiguous if it is not a sustainable power source.
  • Like 1

Woke is like the Blob.  Just keeps growing and consuming everything.  Love the way they try to make sense of it all too.  Can't kill land animals for food but kill all the fish you want.  Nothing relating to fossil fuels or gas powered vehicles, but electric vehicles that are powered by fossil fuel burning power plants are ok.  And if you are not sure what to do, just be "ambiguous"!

• Like 6

On 8/6/2024 at 11:30 AM, Pseudoty said:

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/guidelines.page

Some of these requirements are just insane and I would think a lot of designers will just give up. Lego themselves doesn’t even follow these guidelines. Look at the minifigure and sticker requirements. Oh, and then there is this:

1. In order to help us project a vision of a sustainable future, we wish for you to adhere to these additional guidelines:

1. Avoid depicting harm to animals (e.g. hunting and trapping; tied-up, caged or dead animals). Fishing is acceptable as well as the usage of any standard element that is used to depict a food element (e.g. part 64648).
    2. Avoid depicting wild animals in zoos, circuses, aquariums or other situations that are designed for human entertainment. Please only show wild animals in their natural habitats.
    3. Avoid highlighting fossil fuels like coal, oil, and gas (e.g. depicting refineries, fuel storage or gas stations). It’s acceptable to showcase historical methods of transportation that rely on fossil fuels (e.g. steam locomotives). Modern vehicles need to adhere to this guideline, therefore the propulsion method should be ambiguous if it is not a sustainable power source.

Outside of the "one minifigure for every 325 parts" & "one sticker per 250 parts", not really anything egregious honestly. The "buildings should not copy the modular baseplate layout" kind of stinks but like anything else here, understandable. LEGO is looking for streamlined fan designs not to be confused with official more intricate sets or anything currently available. Also, shying away from what could be considered as borderline excuses for "minifigure packs" or "sticker shock" builds from hell.

LEGO has stayed away from showing cruelty to animals. People in general accept fishing over hunting (whether or not they're a pescatarian, ha). Last time LEGO released anything zoo related was maybe 2012 under Duplo (6157). Anything similar now would bring the ASPCA on their ass.

They have released a small handful of sets explicitly being electric vehicles first I can recall was Olivia's Electric Car from 2021 with other vehicles since being somewhat implied. (Took the company over a decade to "go green" from Octane.) The rule changes nothing in the end. An "electric" toy car at this scale isn't any different from a "gas" one of yesteryear. We simply will not see any more large-scale oil refineries or tankers.

Nothing 'woke' here aside from waking up to this. I'm only miffed by the "no theme mixing". How dare they tell me that I cannot have a starship piloted by a ninja cowboy. The nerve.