COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

9 hours ago, Mathew said:

You make a good point. Our current government seems to be a representation of two separate generations that want similar things. The Boomers who want their retirement funds and the government safety nets (that they were against during the 80s and 90s) then the Millennials who have nothing but want everything without the work. I know that is a generalization but I find it mostly true from the people I know. And there’s the middle, Gen-X:  A lot of us were lucky enough to grow up middle class but find ourselves in mid life over loaded with debt, working harder for less and an overall lower standard of living than our parents. I’ve accepted that I won’t have the same retirement my parents have, live in a smaller house, drive cheaper cars and work well into my 70s. I do feel burned a bit but my life could be worse. If I had a choice I’d gladly give up the smartphone, prefer a small government if we could go back to living in a more open pre-9/11 world. The 21st century has been a massive disappointment. 

Idk man...I’m Gen X,  I grew up lower middle class, and I’m doing great!  We drive older cars, live in a cheaper house, only have a bit of debt that is working for us, not against us. My Life Is Guuuuuuid.   I choose to focus on how awesome my life is. Of course I can’t take credit for all the success. I have parents that love me and wanted me to succeed, I’m a big tall white man, etc. 

I feel like maybe you lament the lack of personal responsibility in our culture when talking about “people” but then don’t apply the same personal responsibility when talking about your situation.

I think a recipe for a greater amount of personal happiness is to be grateful for the good things in your life, but not to take full credit for them. 

Also, this observation was rhetorical. I don’t need to debate about it. 

Edited by House Schubert

10 hours ago, dennugsmello said:

Go deep enough down the hole and you come to the conclusion the Gov’t really is the representation of the people. At least an accurate extension of our desires. They are giving us all what we want. It’s all consent based. It’s not the ranchers fault. It’s us, the cattle. Mooing for treats and safe fences to keep the predators out. At anytime we can say no and smash the fence and find natural grazing grounds. But we like our oats and warm hay far too much to rock the boat. And bitching on a message board is not rocking the boat. 

It can be argued that the Chinese government is exactly as the majority of Chinese want it to be. Strong and United. Almost guaranteed multi-generational longevity. Give credit where credit is due. Odds are their civilization will still stand long after our is destroyed. Western democracies, and democracy in general, is incredibly unstable. Much like a meteor, burning fast and bright but quickly fading away. Democracy is not a sustainable form of Gov’t long term if history is a guide. Especially in high population, multicultural civilization. Just a matter of time before it implodes. 

While I believe Democracy is the best form of government for an individuals well being, it’s highly susceptible to fractures. Give people the power to choose and they will choose to have it all. Wanting it all comes at a cost and the rancher does not have unlimited resources. Add to this fact that the cows believe the goats are better fed and the goats believe the cows are better fed, it’s a wonder the rancher doesn’t kill them all. 

Our framers indicated as much when our government was formed.

"There is not justification for taking away individual's freedom in the guise of public safety."

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."

"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty."

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.”

“Of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trial by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms...If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny.”

“The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, House Schubert said:

I feel like maybe you lament the lack of personal responsibility in our culture when talking about “people” but then don’t apply the same personal responsibility when talking about your situation.

Actually I take responsibility for myself.  I have a family to help take care of.  I work two jobs (one full time and a part time gig job) along with some reselling to both make ends meet and enjoy a few small luxuries in life. I fully expect that the company I work for to soon mandate the vaccine. My part time gig job involves large gatherings and areas that will require it. After thoughtful analysis I chose to get the jab. I’m merely expressing my thoughts, concerns and feelings for the situation I’ve been forced into. 

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 1

Question: What all have you been doing in your "free time" while at home? Our company just did a work from home mandate again until Labor Day. We had been going in 2-3 days a week since late June, but cases in Charlotte have been rising.

I've been trying to just organize and sell some of my smaller collectables on ebay, not really an investor here, just like the deals on Lego. But I've also been having fun playing with some of my modular sets with the kids. One of the largest tasks we've conquered are refinishing our kitchen cabinets to a dark blue color, from a really streaky brown that was there since we moved in. I think it helps to make the lino floor less of an eyesore (and will hopefully buy time before the wife asks to replace that too)

Not the best picture, Ill have to take some updated shots tonight.

PXL_20210808_181611220.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Question: What all have you been doing in your "free time" while at home? Our company just did a work from home mandate again until Labor Day. We had been going in 2-3 days a week since late June, but cases in Charlotte have been rising.

I've been trying to just organize and sell some of my smaller collectables on ebay, not really an investor here, just like the deals on Lego. But I've also been having fun playing with some of my modular sets with the kids. One of the largest tasks we've conquered are refinishing our kitchen cabinets to a dark blue color, from a really streaky brown that was there since we moved in. I think it helps to make the lino floor less of an eyesore (and will hopefully buy time before the wife asks to replace that too)

Not the best picture, Ill have to take some updated shots tonight.

PXL_20210808_181611220.jpg

I was just in the Charlotte airport yesterday. They didn't get the memo that COVID is a thing.

32 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I was just in the Charlotte airport yesterday. They didn't get the memo that COVID is a thing.

I was just out there last year around this time at the USA Baseball Facility.  I'm so used to California dessert that all that green just amazed me.  Really nice people out there.  Didn't care for the food however.  We just stuck to Shake Shack for the most part 🤪

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmpirate said:

I was just out there last year around this time at the USA Baseball Facility.  I'm so used to California dessert that all that green just amazed me.  Really nice people out there.  Didn't care for the food however.  We just stuck to Shake Shack for the most part 🤪

Most people from out west just come for the White Castle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Most people from out west just come for the White Castle. Bojangles and Chic-fil-a

Fixed it. Although, I did discover the deliciousness of In-and-Out while in Vegas a few years back. I get it now.

38 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Charlotte is the perfect storm of Red and Blue.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I’m sure there are plenty of Chick Fi La in California. 

Tons of them.  Was not a fan at first, but it grew on me.  Got hooked on the spicy chicken biscuit with egg for a while but had to ween myself off that. It's mostly for my boys now for quick grabs in between games and practices.  Good shakes and love the company.  Well run, efficient and always friendly.

We had "one" White Castle out here in Southern California when I was a kid.  I'm not sure it lasted a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, junkrigger said:

Finally medical science professionals taking a stand that might make a difference and help people realize where we are at.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/08/19/vaccination-status-may-be-considered-to-get-icu-beds-at-dallas-area-hospitals-if-covid-spread-worsens/amp/

Seems like a dangerous precedent to set, providing care based on life choices.

I wonder if they'll factor in education level when making those decisions...don't want the educated ones to die.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/americans-with-phds-are-most-reluctant-to-get-vaccinated-against-covid/ar-AANjRHh

19 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I wonder if they'll factor in education level when making those decisions...don't want the educated ones to die.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/americans-with-phds-are-most-reluctant-to-get-vaccinated-against-covid/ar-AANjRHh

Exactly? Do they smoke? Drink? What is there BMI? How old are they?

There are some general triage principles that occur within hospitals during emergency situations, but this seems like a good way to further erode the trust in medical professionals.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, junkrigger said:

Finally medical science professionals taking a stand that might make a difference and help people realize where we are at.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasreimann/2021/08/19/vaccination-status-may-be-considered-to-get-icu-beds-at-dallas-area-hospitals-if-covid-spread-worsens/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More fear mongering curtesy the MSM.   BTW Forbes is a business rag for the rich by the rich. Follow the money and you’ll start to wake up. 

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

First it’s basic triage, when medical care must be rationed it goes to those most likely to survive. Peer reviewed studies in medical journals( that’s the backbone of medical knowledge all medical professionals use to make treatment decisions) all statistically verify that vaccinated individuals survive at higher rates when battling COVID than unvaccinated, it’s not even close. You can’t argue or change those facts unless you don’t believe in medical science at all at which point why are you seeking medical care.

For me it’s simple, a child deserves an icu bed more than a person who is eligible for a vaccine and has chosen not to for whatever reason, I challenge anyone to refute or disagree with this statement!

Like it or not this is where we are headed, medical care and doctors, nurses time is finite so these decisions will start being made and guess what they are going to be made by medical scientists. If I had my way it would not be so much so and Congress would have approved more funding for hospital residencies since 1990 so we would have more doctors, alas that’s not the country we live in. And unless you can buy your own hospital your stuck. Write your congressperson today and make a difference we need more doctors and funding for residencies.

We already have studies that have shown many people have suffered and paid with their lives when medical procedures had to be delayed or canceled last year. Now it is preventable again medical science says this not me, and almost all hospitalized COVID are unvaccinated. If you don’t believe in medical science why ask it to bail you out. You can’t pick and choose what science you choose to believe, that’s not how the scientific method works.

• Like 5

Exactly? Do they smoke? Drink? What is there BMI? How old are they?
There are some general triage principles that occur within hospitals during emergency situations, but this seems like a good way to further erode the trust in medical professionals.

If a person does not trust medical science by all means they can go it alone, no one is forcing anyone to seek out medical care, but then don’t expect medical science to save their butt when they finally realize they might want help. I know some of these professionals personally sone were in my math and physics classes I taught at university and some I have known since high school, some are family members and candidly they are burnt out and honestly understandably tired of helping people who don’t believe in and actively fight against the science they devote their lives to and then these same people show up begging to be saved by said untrustworthy evil science. They would never say this it’s against their creed but think about it it’s only logical to be hurt by this reality. Imagine if someone was telling you how terrible and bogus your life’s work was and then that same person asked you to help them by doing your exact job to help them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki
  • Like 1

Doctors already save other doctors first because then said saved doctor can save more lives. It’s basic logic and I challenge you to find a better way. These methods have been developed over many years again based on the scientific method always and if you don’t like it I encourage you to start your own hospital research teaching facility and show us a better way. More hospitals doctors and research facilities is something I always support and encourage and willing to pay for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

If a person does not trust medical science by all means they can go it alone, no one is forcing anyone to seek out medical care, but then don’t expect medical science to save their butt when you finally realize they might want help. I have family members and friends who are these professionals and candidly they are burnt out and honestly understandably tired of helping people who don’t believe in and actively fight against the science they devote their lives to and then these same people show up begging to be saved by said untrustworthy evil science.

This 100%. I do not understand the people that don't want the vaccine because it is still under FDA emergency use authorization or don't trust it but then have no issue taking Regeneron (also approved only under the FDA emergency use authorization) when they do get Covid. This applied to my sister-in-law's family and she was never able to adequately explain why one emergency use authorization was okay but not the other one.