COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

34 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

If China, Russia or Aliens or any other hostile entity are doing better physics, nothing anyone else does will matter. Without the best physics your only hope is for benevolent enemies or no enemies. I would also argue that strong science (physics) is the best deterrent and provides the equipment other folks in service need to stay safe and do their work. Finally the DoD, CIA, FBI employ so many physicists, mathematicians and other scientists for exactly the reasons I have stated. These people are just as important to national defense and every person in this countries safety as anyone else at these agencies and lucky for us all our government understands that even if folks here do not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time you tried to tell us how much smarter you were than everyone else and now you're trying to us how much more important you are than everyone else.  Please explain the physics of how you fit that massive head through a standard door.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:53 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

it's disingenuous to post this without actual likelihood or percentages...it's a lot like that absurd list of rapidly spoken/tiny print "possible side effects" at the end of a drug ad.  

Numbers are all over the place. Covid mortality rate is anywhere from 0.7% to 1.5%. Heavy vaccine side effects may or may not be lower than that. We don't know yet.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:49 PM, HappyHawkeye said:

Ah, another one of these kinds of days on Brickpicker.

Over It Comedy GIF by Superstore

What days? I've only listed trustworthy sources, didn't I? Why didn't you send a funny gif the prior 4 pages when other people spoke about vaccine side effects? It seems like I am the problem to you, not the sources or the discussed topic. I get it. If I post retirement dates early it's bad, if I post anything else it's bad too. I shouldn't post at all, I'm sure many of you agree. I agree as well. It's decided then.

42 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

If China, Russia or Aliens or any other hostile entity are doing better physics, nothing anyone else does will matter. Without the best physics your only hope is for benevolent enemies or no enemies. I would also argue that strong science (physics) is the best deterrent and provides the equipment other folks in service need to stay safe and do their work. Finally the DoD, CIA, FBI employ so many physicists, mathematicians and other scientists for exactly the reasons I have stated. These people are just as important to national defense and every person in this countries safety as anyone else at these agencies and lucky for us all our government understands that even if folks here do not.

They do not need physics, they just employ better hackers and copy your work.  :D

• Like 2

Last time you tried to tell us how much smarter you were than everyone else and now you're trying to us how much more important you are than everyone else.  Please explain the physics of how you fit that massive head through a standard door.

It seems I just can’t break even around here. I would have thought the statement “ physicists are just as important as others” would mathematically translate to: scientists importance = others who serve importance, or even borderline means

17 minutes ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Numbers are all over the place. Covid mortality rate is anywhere from 0.7% to 1.5%. Heavy vaccine side effects may or may not be lower than that. We don't know yet.

What days? I've only listed trustworthy sources, didn't I? Why didn't you send a funny gif the prior 4 pages when other people spoke about vaccine side effects? It seems like I am the problem to you, not the sources or the discussed topic. I get it. If I post retirement dates early it's bad, if I post anything else it's bad too. I shouldn't post at all, I'm sure many of you agree. I agree as well. It's decided then.

~1 or 2% is still better than ~10-20%

lets face it...anything less than 10% is considered nominal for most people...students still get an A for 90%

...that said, I still reply to content first (before seeing the poster/author).  There's only a couple instances where I purposely avoid individuals..you are not one (for me anyway) 👍

They do not need physics, they just employ better hackers and copy your work. 

We actually often manipulate what hackers see so they think they are getting the goods but some physicists job is solely to produce work that looks very close to good science but is junk. This is a strategy that keep Iran’s nuclear program at bay. Private companies are not as careful, smaller budgets.

1 minute ago, junkrigger said:

We actually often manipulate what hackers see so they think they are getting the goods but some physicists job is solely to produce work that looks very close to good science but is junk. This is a strategy that keep Iran’s nuclear program at bay. Private companies are not as careful, smaller budgets.

Serious question: how do you know the hackers did not manipulate their traces to make you think they only had access to the fake stuffs (while copying the real stuffs at the backend)?

2 hours ago, junkrigger said:

Furthermore there is an irrefutable argument that says if your country is not doing the best physics, anyone who is doing better physics can easily take everything you have away. It’s played out again and again through history and is why at the end of the day doing the best science is the key to a societies survival.

Depends on the people you’re putting in charge.

Operation Paperclip:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

“Many of these personnel were former members, and some were former leaders, of the Nazi Party.”

Just something to think about when you put your trust in the government. 

Serious question: how do you know the hackers did not manipulate their traces to make you think they only had access to the fake stuffs (while copying the real stuffs at the backend)?

First I must say that I am not a computer scientist so I can not give the best answer, though like myself many mathematicians and physicists do a good bit of programming and numerical analysis. Short answer is unfortunately in a completely blind scenario we might not know. Assuming no one has yet developed quantum computing or completely analog processors( ironic to think analog will be an advancement on solid state but that’s due to the velocity of electrons in materials) then with “regular” encryption it comes down to who is doing the best math and computer science. In the case of Iran I believe we are ahead, also with Russian and hopefully still with China. The way my advisors always told the story we are still riding the huge gains that came from the massive funding during WW2, Cold War and early space program. Reagan starting cutting those funding levels relative to GDP and that has continued until now. China is catching up for sure and a huge reason to think China did release the virus is to get other countries to have to focus on it and waste money on it instead of spending on science. Oh and of course to divide us and convince people science is their enemy and shouldn’t be funded. I will finish by saying don’t let Google know how much u dislike China, through your searches, because once they do the search engine will find you absolutely maddening and terrifying things.

• Thanks 1

I forget to whom I'm replying but:

I have a toddler. He's not getting the Covid vaccine until A - I need him to travel with me and B - It's safe.

A will happen before B, and B will take a long time before I will put my son at risk.

In the meantime, I need people to be vaccinated around my son, so they don't transmit Covid, if that's all right with you. I don't have data in front me but the transmission rate from vaccinated people to non is low. He has a better chance of getting hit by a car or struck by lightning.

I can best mitigate or control only one of these three things. Also, telling me sorry that I gave your kid Covid isn't going to cut it.

Yay LEGO!

21 minutes ago, redghostx said:

. I don't have data in front me but the transmission rate from vaccinated people to non is low. He has a better chance of getting hit by a car or struck by lightning.

I don't believe the odds of a vaccinated person transmitting delta is as low as you describe...even to kids. 

Here's why I think this; a very close friend of mine in Southern Cal; his wife (Pfizer vaxxed since May) got a break thru case from work (regular office w/ walls and doors; unmasked only allowed in your own office); the proof being 3 others (also vaccinated) got it from the same office area at the same time.  She gave it to her two kids: age 3 and 5 and then to her husband (Pfizer vaxxed since May).  So do you think it's just coincidence lightening striking 2-3 times in the same household? or the transmission rate is likely higher?

That said, it's been almost 5 weeks and both adults still cannot taste or smell...which is not a minor thing that many seem to dismiss lightly.

COVID sucks.  but those that are not convinced; sure..."roll the dice" based on some fear of a hypothetical future long-term side-effect. In terms of actual documented side-effects...now THAT is close to odds of getting hit by a truck or lightening. And yes, everyday folks die from getting hit by trucks and lightening...that's what happens when the population size scales to the 100s of millions on anything...even the "likely never gonna happen"...WILL happen. But how many instances of these make the headlines? Or cause people to not leave their homes?

• Like 1

I don't believe the odds of a vaccinated person transmitting delta is as low as you describe...even to kids. 
Here's why I think this; a very close friend of mine in Southern Cal; his wife (Pfizer vaxxed since May) got a break thru case from work (regular office w/ walls and doors; unmasked only allowed in your own office); the proof being 3 others (also vaccinated) got it from the same office area at the same time.  She gave it to her two kids: age 3 and 5 and then to her husband (Pfizer vaxxed since May).  So do you think it's just coincidence lightening striking 2-3 times in the same household? or the transmission rate is likely higher?
That said, it's been almost 5 weeks and both adults still cannot taste or smell...which is not a minor thing that many seem to dismiss lightly.
COVID sucks.  but those that are not convinced; sure..."roll the dice" based on some fear of a hypothetical future long-term side-effect. In terms of actual documented side-effects...now THAT is close to odds of getting hit by a truck or lightening. And yes, everyday folks die from getting hit by trucks and lightening...that's what happens when the population size scales to the 100s of millions on anything...even the "likely never gonna happen"...WILL happen. But how many instances of these make the headlines? Or cause people to not leave their homes?
I feel legitimately bad for people that have long term taste and smell effects. It is a bigger concern to me than death because I love food.

Yay LEGO!

The hilarious irony is that I am probably the least intelligent person in my lab. I work with a person who has 3 PhD’s, the big three, math, physics, comp science. The more you learn the easier it is to recognize true genius and realize it’s not looking you back in the mirror.

• Like 1

Aren’t you the person who said both Ninjago city and docks were going to be remade? If you have been right more than wrong I apologize otherwise it’s the old throw enough crap against the wall and some will stick.

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Long story short:  masks (the cloth ones they tell you to wear) and the vaccine do little to keep you from getting covid.  So are you going to refer to your piss meme again?

D66F6A91-89F4-455D-9523-15EADFC0185A.jpeg

Edited by Mathew

One of the republican representatives in my state that was pushing for no masks and touting he was unvaccinated, is currently bed ridden with the delta variant and his wife just passed away from Covid.  It looks like he may pull through, but they traced it back and found he gave it to her.  Not sure Id want to live after that.  Would she have lived if she was vaccinated? No one can say for sure, but the numbers say most likely yes.  This is all just so sad.   If the Chinese did infact leak this on purpose, 

its so sad we would be that predictable as a country.

22 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

Aren’t you the person who said both Ninjago city and docks were going to be remade? If you have been right more than wrong I apologize otherwise it’s the old throw enough crap against the wall and some will stick.

Yes, I said that because it was true. Everything I said was true, because there is nothing to be wrong about, LEGO has clear plans but sometimes they change stuff. Retirement dates get pushed back. Assembly square for example was going to retire this year, I already knew that a while ago because it was a fixed date. Now the garage goes. It is what it is. I'm not the one making decisions on whether City & Docks will be remade or not, I just get the info from a 100% trusted source. I don't work for or with LEGO. 

And this is precisely why I choose not to share any info anymore, people don't appreciate it, it hurts the game & if LEGO changes the date some will have to sit on 50 sets which I told them would retire. 

Definitely not throwing anything at the wall until it sticks, that would be plain mean & irresponsible.

Edited by elmaslıefendi
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, redghostx said:

I feel legitimately bad for people that have long term taste and smell effects. It is a bigger concern to me than death because I love food.

I can tell you from personal experience, it sucks! I had COVID back in Nov. 2020…felt like absolute crap for about a week, but recovered fairly uneventfully. But I have yet to regain any normal semblance of taste and smell (I'd say my olfactory system is working at about 5-10%, and my gustatory sense is maybe 15-20%.) I used to be able to pick out every flavor in a glass of wine…now, I just taste sweet, salty, or sour. Absolutely no nuance to any flavor….and I love to eat and drink as well. So if for no other reason than that…don't get COVID by any means possible! And yes, I've also been vaccinated.

And to the troll who shall not be named who had the audacity to ask "who could possibly be affected by unvaccinated folks?" How about any child under the age of 12, anyone with immune compromise who cannot be vaccinated or cannot mount an appropriate immune response if they are, or those with documented allergies to one or more components of the vaccine? THEY are the ones who rely on the herd for immunity. Unfortunately, the herd isn't anywhere the size it needs to be to afford our most vulnerable friends, family and neighbors the protection they so desperately need. So yeah, it's great that unvaccinated/unmasked folks want to take on personal responsibility if they get COVID, since "it doesn't affect anybody but ME, ME, ME".  Well you're dead wrong…it affects anyone you've come in contact with and unknowingly spread the disease to, as well as the countless health care workers who now have to take care of your sorry ass.

Yay LEGO, Boo COVID! 

• Like 3