COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

10 hours ago, lazuli16 said:

To bring this full circle to addiction; when our first child was born, i didnt get a chance to get my daily cup of coffee. My wife gave birth and the family was in the room with my wife and the baby, meanwhile I was in the bathroom with the worst headache and nausea, throwing up because I was going through caffeine withdrawal. To this day, i cannot live that down. 

Dang...one cup of coffee a day did that to you.  I'm usually good for several a day, but then some days won't have any and don't notice a thing.  Just goes to show that everyone is different even though they'd like to come up with general rules that apply to all of us. 

They never tell you what’s really going on. That’s why I don’t trust them. They (WHO, CDC, Fauci, government officials, media, celebrities) lie to you daily. They do this to manipulate and spread fear. The “studies” coming in are all over the place. A recent one shows that the Pfizer vaccine is only 42% effective against Delta. Well that’s the one most people have so that’s not good.  

Edited by Mathew

5 minutes ago, KShine said:

The same World Health Organization that seems to think that it is a good idea to have a moratorium on booster shots. Because stopping the countries that are doing their best, in an effort to fight the virus (and are still losing, by the way) is really going to help.

The WHO is a sad, dangerous joke - they are a legitimate reason for people to consider denying true science.

Does the moratorium apply to Taiwan? Kind of awkward since WHO / UN is not in any position to acknowledge Taiwan as a country :P

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mathew said:

They never tell you what’s really going on. That’s why I don’t trust them. They (WHO, CDC, Fauci, government officials, media, celebrities) lie to you daily. They do this to manipulate and spread fear. The “studies” coming in are all over the place. A recent one shows that the Pfizer vaccine is only 42% effective against Delta. Well that’s the one most people have so that’s not good.  

Genuinely curious; when you mention "They" you cover a wide range of what people would call "people with high public exposure", especially in American culture. Do you feel "They" are working together against the predisposed "us"? And if so, what is their end-goal in your opinion?

7 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

Genuinely curious; when you mention "They" you cover a wide range of what people would call "people with high public exposure", especially in American culture. Do you feel "They" are working together against the predisposed "us"? And if so, what is their end-goal in your opinion?

Good question:  If you want to go down the rabbit hole. I think Covid is one means “they” are using to exhort individuals to give up freedoms in exchange for perceived safety.  They have the technology now to control our daily lives whether it be finances or social life.  That’s why we’re now hearing and being pushed towards vaccine passports and digital currency.  And that’s just the beginning. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mathew said:

All vaccines fade over time-- this is both normal and natural. That does not mean that the government lies to you. If they were lying they would not allow studies to be published. 

As for spreading fear . . .  my state is out of healthcare workers and is opening a trauma ICU overflow center in a parking garage because we have no more capacity. This garage hospital will need to be staffed by 900+ out of state Federal healthcare workers because we lost 2000+ healthcare jobs during the last 18 months. This is reality--one certain people refuse to recognize. 

8 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

All vaccines fade over time-- this is both normal and natural. That does not mean that the government lies to you. If they were lying they would not allow studies to be published. 

As for spreading fear . . .  my state is out of healthcare workers and is opening a trauma ICU overflow center in a parking garage because we have no more capacity. This garage hospital will need to be staffed by 900+ out of state Federal healthcare workers because we lost 2000+ healthcare jobs during the last 18 months. This is reality--one certain people refuse to recognize. 

I’m not denying Covid isn’t real. I’m saying that they have allowed it to happen on purpose. With that being said for most it’s a mild flu. Those that are dying by and large have preexisting health problems and are elderly.  If you’re not catching my drift yet:  It’s also about saving money. Kill off the weak since they are a larger burden on the system. 

Edited by Mathew

14 minutes ago, Mathew said:

As you said, the studies are coming in all over the place. We're all watching science happen live and it gets distorted by headline writers at USA Today, CNN, Fox News, your local paper, and Lego resellers forum with no background in science or vaccine efficacy or public health.

I don't really think it's terribly hard to see what's going on in reality. It was obvious to me that the initial messaging about masks was an effort to protect the supply of N95s for hospitals that desperately needed it, but also a miscalculation because ultimately lesser masks on EVERYONE proved to be quite effective at slowing the spread (I'm not here to argue fact, see the pissing your pants meme). The health communication around Covid HAS been rather abysmal and slap-dash, but in a lot of cases it's just a scientist being a scientist and refusing to say what he or she doesn't know or hasn't been proven, which is probably a mistake.

Seems like you 'Trust no one'
Amazon.com: Ata-Boy X-Files Agent Mulder Trust No One 2.5" x 3.5" Magnet  for Refrigerators and Lockers : Home & Kitchen

10 minutes ago, Mathew said:

I’m not denying Covid isn’t real. I’m saying that they have allowed it to happen on purpose. With that being said for most it’s a mild flu. Those that are dying by and large have preexisting health problems and are elderly.  If you’re not catching my drift yet:  It’s also about saving money. Kill off the weak since they are a larger burden on the system. 

So by that rationale, wearing a mask, which "they" are telling "us" to do, is counterintuitive to what "They" want as their ultimate goal.

9 minutes ago, Mathew said:
15 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Yes, the conservatives who are overly concerned with their personal freedoms HAVE allowed this to spread. You're actually right about this, your 'they' is just inverted.

• Like 1

Actually the science is proving that the “face coverings” are not effective. N95 masks may be effective but require special fitting.  Masks are a placebo to make you feel protected. Read the label on the box. 

I am more Roy Neary than Fox Mulder but I cant say I’ve watched a lot of Xfiles  

image.jpeg.d375ba74c35291e9b1fc23dd65664b24.jpeg

Edited by Mathew
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

Yes, the conservatives who are overly concerned with their personal freedoms HAVE allowed this to spread. You're actually right about this, your 'they' is just inverted.

You’re doing a good job of supporting their narrative. Congrats on being a sheep. Bah. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

So by that rationale, wearing a mask, which "they" are telling "us" to do, is counterintuitive to what "They" want as their ultimate goal.

It’s number one to offer a false sense of security so we can go about our “lives” but also to remind us that we are in perpetual danger. 

• Haha 1

Sony should have went the MS route and released a budget model like the Series S which can be more easily obtained. The fact that an average consumer has not been able to just walk into a store or order any PlayStation model for the past nine months is terrible mismanagement on Sony’s part. 

Edited by Mathew

1 hour ago, keymomachine said:

I don't really think it's terribly hard to see what's going on in reality. It was obvious to me that the initial messaging about masks was an effort to protect the supply of N95s for hospitals that desperately needed it, but also a miscalculation because ultimately lesser masks on EVERYONE proved to be quite effective at slowing the spread 

Another problem the initial messaging regarding masks allowed to circulate was this

⬇️

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Actually the science is proving that the “face coverings” are not effective. 

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Masks are a placebo to make you feel protected. Read the label on the box. 

to become a popular theme among conservatives and the uneducated. You know, the people who are needing hospitalization and help from the very same people they claimed were trying to 'control' their lives.

Masks are a layer of protection, that's it! Not one study, Physician, Dr, Nurse or other Healthcare workers have ever claimed for masks to be 100% effective. People need to stop with the Masks dont work campaign, you sound so silly.   

Maybe it would help the all the Murdocks out there if we stopped using the now polarized word Masks.  Maybe we should call them what they are, physical barriers. Then people could stop making it a political issue. 

Lets see, a virus is spread through moisture or bodily fluids.  Bacteria and Viruses have been proven to successfully transmit though simple conversation. If one person has a barrier, transmission rate drops. If both people have a barrier, the transmission rates drop even further.  We are talking about elementary stuff right there. 

@Mathew, you must not wear your seatbelt either since its not 100% effective from saving your life in a car crash?

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

N95 masks may be effective but require special fitting.  

By the sounds of it, you may have zero experience with n95s.  This 'special fitting' you are refering is not so 'special'  Its as simple as placing the mask over your face to allow the fitting to form to your face before properly securing them. once secure, the mask is vacuum tested with a deep breath.  A step that takes all but 5 seconds.  You would not fare well in a clinical setting my fellow BP'er.

• Like 1

I think Americans are too conditioned to not trust the government. To the people who are upset that you're getting mixed messaging, you must never deal with government agencies. They move the goalposts all the time, it's like a silly little game. Having to work for them is even worse - sure, I can completely redo the project we spent three months completing to spec. Oh, you want it entirely redone in 5 days and with variations and multiplied 100 times. Yeah, let me get my time machine out.

The other good one is: Today is the last day. [Tomorrow] Eh, we don't like the results, let's add a week and see if we can refine it further. It's ok that over half of the employment contracts are completed and there is no longer sufficient staff, that's a you problem.

On Covid:
Generally, I trust the science I can find on Covid, but with a grain of salt. some of it is sketchy or contradicting, but it's evolving. I trust my brain more in that I don't want Covid, and I'm ok with that decision. Our family knows people that died and we're hospitalized for 2-4 weeks and I prefer to avoid that. Do I know the long term effects of the vaccine? No. However, I don't think the pharmaceuticals can risk screwing it up this time, so I give a little more leeway. Also, authoritarian, democracys, republics, all want you to get a vaccine. Just different ones, is it really likely that all the vaccines give the government the same mind control abilities? I doubt it (but cool if so)

I agree with one aspect, in that governments were overly strict out of fear of hospital capacity. This was never really an issue locally, and our case count is relatively low for an urban setting. Further, they didn't really give enough good news with firm deadlines for fear of lapses in people's social dealings.

Governments also took advantage to what they think they could get away and yes, a small amount of liberty may be permanently lost. It's probably worth it to prevent tens of thousands of deaths (whoops, that didn't happen in large swaths of the US). Even a not for profit I volunteer for has changed some parameters going forward that make things much easier for the organization and a little less for participants. All in the name of safety.

I guess I rationalize it as: if I get vaccinated, and wear a mask with people I don't know, when in close proximity, for long periods of time, and it prevents one person from getting seriously ill, then it's worth it. Conversely, if people can do the same in reverse then my son won't get it, which is a bonus.

Sorry, that meandered.

Yay LEGO!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, keymomachine said:

Considering the fact that the current vaccines are not very effective against Delta and most likely future variants and that you can still spread it even if vaccinated then yes it should remain a personal choice.  In other words worry about yourself and not others because it doesn’t matter. 

It’s number one to offer a false sense of security so we can go about our “lives” but also to remind us that we are in perpetual danger. 
But who do "they" report to to coordinate this attack on "us"? I just don't believe there is a coordinated global effort to eradicate the population, not some sort of ultimate rulling class.

Unless it's that humans ourselves have absolutely destroyed our own habitat, meaning more extreme weather variations, a warming atmosphere leading to more prevalent, diseases, many of which are trapped in permafrost being thawed out by our warming planet. So yeah, maybe you're right we live in perpetual fear, but it's hot as **** outside, the world is flooding and burning and it would be nice to make it more manageable by small changes. From that perspective, masks don't seem all that bad.

Maybe im a sheep now in your eyes, but I like to think I'm the shepherd helping to guide my own flock through all of this.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

You mean the vaccine originally designed to protect from Covid-19 only has a 42% effective rate against a mutated version of the original virus??? You dont say! 

Well,  42 percent is actually pretty decent since it could have had 0 effectiveness from the, ya know, MUTATED version.    

Edited by BricksBrotha

This seems like an example of bad faith arguments coupled with tin-foil hats, trolling, and sheer paranoia. Whatever happened to complaining about other things like massive heat waves, desertification, droughts or how they never give you enough ketchup packets at drive thrus?

3 minutes ago, TANV said:

This seems like an example of bad faith arguments coupled with tin-foil hats, trolling, and sheer paranoia. Whatever happened to complaining about other things like massive heat waves, desertification, droughts or how they never give you enough ketchup packets at drive thrus?

Those feel like peanuts when compared to pandemics, wildfires, raising sea levels and mis-information.  

So how do explain

11 minutes ago, BricksBrotha said:

You mean the vaccine originally designed to protect from Covid-19 only has a 42% effective rate against a mutated version of the original vaccine??? You dont say! 

Well,  42 percent is actually pretty decent since it could have had 0 effectiveness from the, ya know, MUTATED version.    

In other words they should have disclosed this 3 months ago when they were telling everyone who was vaccinated to take off their masks and go about living their lives. 

You’re excusing the health officials who are supposed to be protecting us for providing bad science and misinformation.  They knew about Delta and they knew that not everyone would be vaccinated by mid June. 

Edited by Mathew

Our mini heat wave starts today but we have a hotel for two nights and nothing to complain about, yet.

Yay LEGO!