COVID-19 / Coronavirus Discussion

CosmicSpeed

3 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so why are you so dismissive about masks?

The anti mask debate is more nuanced than pro maskers make it out to be. There are many factors to consider. One major issue I have with masks is their effect on O2 levels. Using my Apple Watch I can monitor my O2 stats. When masked my numbers go down. Is this not a health risk? Especially for kids with developing brains? I’m at altitude so it’s probably even worse for us. My children’s schools have the them masked 8 hours a day in 90 degree heat. I cannot imagine the amount of bacteria growing and waiting to be inhaled. 

image.thumb.jpeg.65b393805f68f12af3e31f6c482a1717.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

in terms of a deterrent...honestly, it shouldn't fall on the health care providers...it should be the health insurance companies and HMOs...they are universally hated anyway...let them put antivaxer as a "pre-condition" and let's all move on.

Thanks to the ACA, pre-existing conditions are covered.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so why are you so dismissive about masks?

someone's hand is much more porous than even the flimsiest of cloth masks...and contaminated hands are so much more a threat of transmission...the exact points you seem to make about not wearing masks (they are not effective (enough) and can be full of germs if not properly sanitized.

Because I don’t make the automatic  assumption that when someone coughs or sneezes in public that they are sick. The covid insanity has turned the world into germophobes.  It’s a societal change for the worse. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

The anti mask debate is more nuanced than pro maskers make it out to be. There are many factors to consider. One major issue I have with masks is their effect on O2 levels. Using my Apple Watch I can monitor my O2 stats. When masked my numbers go down. Is this not a health risk? Especially for kids with developing brains? I’m at altitude so it’s probably even worse for us. My children’s schools have the them masked 8 hours a day in 90 degree heat. I cannot imagine the amount of bacteria growing and waiting to be inhaled. 

Isn't Photoshop great?

6 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

The sad thing is that I can’t bring myself to be upset about the Taliban when our own government is using totalitarian measures to ensure our “safety”. 

12 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

The anti mask debate is more nuanced than pro maskers make it out to be. There are many factors to consider. One major issue I have with masks is their effect on O2 levels. Using my Apple Watch I can monitor my O2 stats. When masked my numbers go down. Is this not a health risk? 

Damn right it is. I wonder if many of the maskers on this forum have actually worn one for more than a couple of hours at a time. My wife is a teacher. She and others In her profession complain of headaches caused by wearing a mask all day. Plenty of non health reasons as well. Small children learning social cues, pronunciation skills, reading are negatively effected when 3/4 of their face is covered. Oh but we can protect Joe Dan from a random child sneezing in public. 🤤

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

correlation is not causation

You know that higher altitudes have less O2; yet you choose to live and raise your children in that environment.  And NOW you're fixated on how masks reduce O2?

I get that they are uncomfortable...and unfortunately it has been politicalized...but people are cherry picking the data they want to justify their decisions by after they already made up their minds.  Asian countries have been wearing masks extensively for about a decade or more because they weigh personal responsibility to others more than their personal freedom. There should be plenty of data if there was a causation...also the interesting thing about your gif is that you basically show proof of a society that had been wearing masks for hundreds of years (many since adolescents)...apparently excessive mask wearing causes terrorist impulses

8 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Damn right it is. I wonder if many of the maskers on this forum have actually worn one for more than a couple of hours at a time. My wife is a teacher. She and others In her profession complain of headaches caused by wearing a mask all day. Plenty of non health reasons as well. Small children learning social cues, pronunciation skills, reading are negatively effected when 3/4 of their face is covered. Oh but we can protect Joe Dan from a random child sneezing in public. 🤤

I'm sure construction workers have been complaining about having to wear hard hats when it first came about...

Any form of personal PPE is uncomfortable to varying degrees and that's why it's the "last line of defense" in terms of exposure/hazard control in any worker setting.

here's the thing...if everyone just got on board w/ proper mask wearing and social distancing for about 2 weeks...then the chain of infection breaks. THEN EVERYONE can stop wearing masks. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I'm sure construction workers have been complaining about having to wear hard hats when it first came about...

Any form of personal PPE is uncomfortable to varying degrees and that's why it's the "last line of defense" in terms of exposure/hazard control in any worker setting.

here's the thing...if everyone just got on board w/ proper mask wearing and social distancing for about 2 weeks...then the chain of infection breaks. THEN EVERYONE can stop wearing masks. 

Maybe if everyone stayed at home, we closed all non essential businesses, and had kids do remote learning we could beat this thing.  I don't know...just throwing out random ideas.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

😂🤣😅🤪 You really believe that?  Then you are truly deluded. 

• Sad 1

Going to stop you right there. Because that’s really the bottom line.

I am not advocating for people suffering from lifestyle illnesses to be denied care because we don’t need to, at least yet. But simple answer is yes if our hospitals were overrun by people suffering from illnesses of lifestyle choices such that we are at risk of being able to get children the medical care they need then yes I’m prepared to take that stance. Fortunately for us all that is not the case and never has been, probably because our medical system has acclimated to a certain percentage of the population being afflicted with said illnesses and those illnesses develop over longer periods than say a week, and have given the system time to adjust and grow as the number of such people does. That is not what is happening today, today we have a medical care system overrun by patients who chose not to get vaccinated, statistics don’t lie 95% of hospitalized COVID patients are unvaccinated, you can’t refute that fact. And when enough of those patients hit the ER at once such that the next time someone takes their child in to the ER and there is not a bed for that child because a huge percentage of those beds are filled with unvaccinated people afflicted with COVID we will all see how ugly things get on a scale never before imagined as people find a way to free up beds for those children. Let’s hope it doesn’t get there but again the projections say it’s coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

FDA to give full approval to Pfizer vaccine Monday.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/08/20/world/covid-delta-variant-vaccine

Big win for Big Pharma. Bet that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside that you made the right decision to get vaxxed. I don’t know about you but I sure am looking  forward to bi-annual booster shots. And masking!!!  

Pfizer, I can only hope that you choose to invest the billions in profits towards buying out politicians so we can never beat this virus. And psst, I hear that a certain lab may be able leak the next engineered virus if the price is right. 

Edited by Mathew
  • Sad 2

Well then, it sounds like you're one of them thar latte-sippin', prius-drivin', ***-marryin', freedom-hatin', flag-burnin', full mouth-of-teeth-havin' edumacted left coast commies. Don't you dare try and tell me what me and my wife/sister what we gotta do to stop some made up chinese mexican beer virus...we all know darn well and good that the only thing we gotta do to make it go away is turn on fox news and just keep repeating "the truth is whatever I believe" while hugging our My Pillows for dear life.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, redcell said:

Well then, it sounds like you're one of them thar latte-sippin', prius-drivin', ***-marryin', freedom-hatin', flag-burnin', full mouth-of-teeth-havin' edumacted left coast commies. Don't you dare try and tell me what me and my wife/sister what we gotta do to stop some made up chinese mexican beer virus...we all know darn well and good that the only thing we gotta do to make it go away is turn on fox news and just keep repeating "the truth is whatever I believe" while hugging our My Pillows for dear life.

You’re equally stupid if you believe what he posted. 

I can only speak for myself but the reason I got the vaccine was to keep myself out of the hospital so people suffering from cancer, those who need surgeries, women who need babies delivered, people in automobile accidents, people who get shot, on and on can have a hospital bed in their true time of need. Like many here I’m under 40 decently healthy so statistically would fair well, but plenty of people in that demographic have fallen victim as well. If I was a billionaire I would offer every unvaccinated person an all inclusive month long cruise, charter all the cruise ships for everyone to have a free vacation on me, after all nothing to fear so live a little on the house. Might get us to herd immunity, so come on Uncle Sam think outside the box cause there is more than one way to get people immunized.

Brickpicker comment of the day. We are not worthy.

Big win for Big Pharma. Bet that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside that you made the right decision to get vaxxed. I don’t know about you but I sure am looking  forward to bi-annual booster shots. And masking!!!  

Pfizer, I can only hope that you choose to invest the billions in profits towards buying out politicians so we can never beat this virus. And psst, I hear that a certain lab may be able leak the next engineered virus if the price is right. 
Sounds like someone skipped right over the Lego clearance aisle and headed straight for the tin foil section. Sadly, it appears our dear friend Mathew hasn't yet realized that "they" monitor the interwebs and are likely in the process of positioning a satellite over his house right now to monitor his thoughts. Think the tin foil will save you? Wrong, that's what "they" want you to believe...it actually enhances the thought rays beaming out of your head as a result of the fluoride-spiked water "they" have forced on us all these years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You might consider toning down the trolling a wee bit there bud. Most folks are keeping a civil tone in this thread and not resorting to name calling because they don’t like things like reality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I'm a total mouth-breathing moron for believing that wearing masks helps prevent the transmission of a highly contagious respiratory disease...you really got me there. I'll think twice next time before I put my faith in reality.

what exactly is this thread trying to achieve 
It's giving me a great way to waste time on a Friday afternoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2