Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

1 minute ago, Mhd747 said:

As @Darth_Raichu has mentioned any changes to buyers paypal shipping address (apart from changing from lowercase to uppercase) will result in an auto fail in case buyers opens not received case.

On eBay US, there is a line that says "eligible for Seller Protection" right under the address box.  When the shipping address is modified (even when changing the case of 1 letter), that line disappears.

Guest TabbyBoy
17 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

Select print postage for your order, when it opens just select "change", you should then be able to change.

As @Darth_Raichu has mentioned any changes to buyers paypal shipping address (apart from changing from lowercase to uppercase) will result in an auto fail in case buyers opens not received case.

1.JPG

2.JPG

I followed similar instructions when I Googled the answer but, I don't have the "Change" button ;-(

Thanks anyway but, I'll not bother now as compensation is minimal and it seems impossible to increase it. Is there anything helpful that eBay offer us?

I noticed something recently on Ebay. When I search for products using the set name, my sets for sale appear normally. However, when I search using the set number, my sets for sale are not in the list, even if I changed the listing order. What gives? I did not change my listing descriptions and titles and I am very sure I got the set numbers correct with proper spaces in the title. Anyone know why this happens?

I noticed something recently on Ebay. When I search for products using the set name, my sets for sale appear normally. However, when I search using the set number, my sets for sale are not in the list, even if I changed the listing order. What gives? I did not change my listing descriptions and titles and I am very sure I got the set numbers correct with proper spaces in the title. Anyone know why this happens?

Edit your listings. Under 'Item Specifics' enter your set number in the 'MPN' field. That may get you back into the search results.

Not meaning to hi-jack your question, but I have a question relating to similar fields... 

If I'm selling a bulk lot on ebay, say a group of the 2015 Pirates sets, is there a way to get all my MPNs entered so that my bulk listing will populate a search including any of the MPNs?

Can I simply enter "####, ####, ####" into the MPN field? Will it read all of them, none of them, or just the first one? Any insight? 

Edited by Zelgazra
  • Like 1

Can I simply enter "####, ####, ####" into the MPN field? Will it read all of them, none of them, or just the first one? Any insight? 

I did some sleuthing into this a year back or so. Never did decipher the definitive answer, but my impression was ###,###,### was ideal (commas without spaces).

But I'm sure one of the sharper minds around here can either dispel or confirm that...
  • Like 2

eBay as been modifying the item specifics fields pretty aggressively lately (within the LEGO categories at least).

I ran into a pretty sharp traffic drop on 1/17, and realized today the "Gender" field had been eliminated (so it became a custom field on all my listings I had previously filled the field for). Having a "Boys & Girls" as a populated as a "custom field" in the item specifics may have been suppressing my search rankings (my impressions jumped back to the norms within 48 hours of removing the field).

I'd suggest double checking all the item specifics of your listings - seems possible some seemingpy unrelated field is suddenly adversely impacting search queries.
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, AirborneAFOL said:

I'd suggest double checking all the item specifics of your listings - seems possible some seemingpy unrelated field is suddenly adversely impacting search queries.

Another eBay pro tip from Airborne!

Just want to give you mad props dude... you've dropped some real gems of ebay Advanced Listing insight over the past months. Incredibly useful tips that I'm sure 99% of ebay's CSRs wouldn't even know about, let alone able to walk through the specific details about. Excellent stuff man. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AirborneAFOL said:

eBay as been modifying the item specifics fields pretty aggressively lately (within the LEGO categories at least).

I ran into a pretty sharp traffic drop on 1/17, and realized today the "Gender" field had been eliminated (so it became a custom field on all my listings I had previously filled the field for). Having a "Boys & Girls" as a populated as a "custom field" in the item specifics may have been suppressing my search rankings (my impressions jumped back to the norms within 48 hours of removing the field).

Thanks! Looks like the "Theme" field got replaced with a "LEGO Theme" field as well, so you need to also remove the "Theme" field from your listings.

Pro-tip (If I can be called a pro): Select all your listings in the "All Selling" view, then click the main "Edit" button above the listings. Make sure you "Edit Individually", then go record by record and remove all the fields that are listed with a "Remove" link (or at least, make sure that the info captured is also somewhere else in your listing). Then "Save and Next" until done.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AirborneAFOL said:

Thanks for the heads up. I, too, noticed a sharp drop off.

Could use some advice from ya all ....how would you go about shipping two sets to the same address.  One is a popstar house and the other is a city bulldozer 60074.  Would you just send two boxes?  I was intending to use one big box, but I don't want to damage either set with the weight of one on the other via shipment.  Won't the weight of one begin to crush the other despite craft paper or other material between them?  Any advice appreciated.

Edited by LegoBro
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, LegoBro said:

Could use some advice from ya all ....how would you go about shipping two sets to the same address.  One is a popstar house and the other is a city bulldozer 60074.  Would you just send two boxes?  I was intending to use one big box, but I don't want to damage either set with the weight of one on the other via shipment.  Won't the weight of one begin to crush the other despite craft paper or other material between them?  Any advice appreciated.

It's fine to ship multiples in same box.  Craft paper will keep boxes from rubbing.  Just never put any pressure on the top when closing the box by over using whatever you are using for dunnage.  

• Like 1

If you're not too pressed for flap trimming...
Sometimes when shipping 2 sets in a box stacked I also cut a scrap box panel that covers the lower set box and the top sits on top. That should keep the top box from punching a hole or creasing the lower box.
  • Like 4

On 23/01/2017 at 7:07 AM, Phil B said:

Thanks! Looks like the "Theme" field got replaced with a "LEGO Theme" field as well, so you need to also remove the "Theme" field from your listings.

Pro-tip (If I can be called a pro): Select all your listings in the "All Selling" view, then click the main "Edit" button above the listings. Make sure you "Edit Individually", then go record by record and remove all the fields that are listed with a "Remove" link (or at least, make sure that the info captured is also somewhere else in your listing). Then "Save and Next" until done.

On 22/01/2017 at 6:47 PM, AirborneAFOL said:

So what you guys are saying is that I should remove all the fields and just put them all in the item description? Also I'm not seeing any Remove links in my Edit Listings spreadsheet. Could this be because I'm not using the classic listing tool?

I am at a loss. My cheaper priced stuff isn't selling while those with more expensive prices do. Not a good start to the year T_T

So what you guys are saying is that I should remove all the fields and just put them all in the item description? Also I'm not seeing any Remove links in my Edit Listings spreadsheet. Could this be because I'm not using the classic listing tool?

I am at a loss. My cheaper priced stuff isn't selling while those with more expensive prices do. Not a good start to the year T_T

If you browse around some of the top results, you'll find they're frequently sellers who have a surprisingly lean "item specifics".

There's dozens variables that drive search results - not all of them are known, and certainly the algorithm eBay applies to weight those variables is a mystery. I've spent over a year trying to map it out, but it changes too consistently to make any meaningful progress.

The one thing we do know is Title, Description (html headers in particular), click-through rates, and sales conversion rates are primary drivers for search rankings. Click-through & Sales conversion rates apply at both the listing and seller levels (i.e., if you've got a poor rate, that would be held against a new individual listing you post). Item Specifics are factored as well, but it appears to be a bit indirect - useful for shopping searching by category to find the item, but potentially held against you in generic searches. The quantity, price, & format (duration, shipping/return policy, etc) of a listing are factored as well - typically when "all other things being relatively equal".

I could go on for several paragraphs - but frankly it's all prone to eBay system changes. The simplest key to driving your listings higher in search results:

1. Manage Impressions (Views) - Use Title keywords that would correlate strongly to people searching for your item, but not to unrelated searches. Lots of impressions but low click-through/sales (people scrolling right past your listing in searches it does pop up in) buries you.

2. Drive Click-Through with appealing photos & prices - this leads people to at least take a closer look at your item.

3. Drive Sales Conversion Rates with overall listing quality & competitive prices - you want to be converting around 5-10% of those click throughs into sales.

If you do those 3 things well, all the rest becomes an afterthought. Not surprisingly, eBay priorities search results based on listings & sellers most likely to result in sales - and it's far easiest for them to predict that based on #1-3.
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, AirborneAFOL said:

There's dozens variables that drive search results - not all of them are known, and certainly the algorithm eBay applies to weight those variables is a mystery. I've spent over a year trying to map it out, but it changes too consistently to make any meaningful progress.

It appears to be a mystery to ebay as well.

Too often, impossible (as in not workable) changes are implemented. Contradicting actions seem to take place without any apparent knowledge, or understanding as to what else might be affected (causing other functions to fail).

I find that it is sometimes best to just let the dust settle a bit, before embracing every change (as sometimes, they will change things back).

• Like 2

Need some troubleshooting advice here:

Buyer bought a 10697 Creative Box from me. I had it sent via USPS Parcel Post on 06 January. USPS attempted delivery on 15 January but it couldn't deliver.  The business was closed.  I figure it was due to the fact that it's a Sunday. However, tracking doesn't show any update since the 15th.  Filed a Missing Mail search with USPS but I'm not sure if they'll even respond within 6 months. I didn't insure it so I can't file a claim either.  First time that Parcel Post has been an issue for me after many sales. Buyer wants to know the status of the package right now.  Can't really blame them.

Suggestions on course of action?  

19 minutes ago, TANV said:

Buyer bought a 10697 Creative Box from me. I had it sent via USPS Parcel Post on 06 January. USPS attempted delivery on 15 January but it couldn't deliver.  The business was closed.  I figure it was due to the fact that it's a Sunday. However, tracking doesn't show any update since the 15th.  Filed a Missing Mail search with USPS but I'm not sure if they'll even respond within 6 months. I didn't insure it so I can't file a claim either.  First time that Parcel Post has been an issue for me after many sales. Buyer wants to know the status of the package right now.  Can't really blame them.

Just tell them the tracking hasn't updated after the first attempted delivery and tell them you can refund them now or wait a little longer if they prefer.  Most people will wind up saying to wait some more.  If he does want the refund just refund him and ask him to repay or return to sender if it does arrive.  

Most people are honest and do let you know,  and in the event its lost it'll probably show back up at your place down the road.  Constantly getting packages back from a few months earlier that got temporarily lost in transit.  It's a low percentage overall but it does happen especially when shipping in volume.

• Like 1

Also, if you haven't done so already (when you filed the missing mail search) call the buyer's local post office directly. That's what my Postmaster has me do in these cases. Google "post office [their zip code]" to get the phone number for their post office. If you can't find the post office yourself, ask at your local post office. They can look up the receiving post office using the tracking number, and can give you their phone number. This will get the investigation moving.

• Like 1

I got a potential buyer who wants to buy six sets from me. He's in Singapore though, so he asked that I pick the best six, and double box them.

Because I won't be mailing them directly to him, but through eBay fulfillment, am I still liable if his package gets damaged enroute?

8 hours ago, randrace said:

Also, if you haven't done so already (when you filed the missing mail search) call the buyer's local post office directly. That's what my Postmaster has me do in these cases. Google "post office [their zip code]" to get the phone number for their post office. If you can't find the post office yourself, ask at your local post office. They can look up the receiving post office using the tracking number, and can give you their phone number. This will get the investigation moving.

I'm double-checking with the buyer right now to see which Post Office is normally his. There are a few in his vicinity. I did try to call one of them. No answer, which seems normal. I'm going to go to the Post Office tomorrow morning and double-check with their tracking. Maybe they can give me more insight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, donbee said:

I got a potential buyer who wants to buy six sets from me. He's in Singapore though, so he asked that I pick the best six, and double box them.

Because I won't be mailing them directly to him, but through eBay fulfillment, am I still liable if his package gets damaged enroute?

Technically you are only responsible for shipping up to the distribution center.  

Although depending on the values of the sets and the feedback rating of the buyer, I'd be more concerned about the possibility of scam if I were you.

• Like 2