Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I've thought about this too, but as a service on the sending end. Sort of a grading service at the Post Office. You come in with an unsealed package, post office worker weighs the contents, notes any deficiencies (using an online system that has "check steps" for each type of shipment), does a 360 degree HD camera scan of the item shipped and the opened package, then seals the package with printed tape (to prevent tampering). You pay a few extra bucks for this service, it should take less than 2 mins to do, and the service then carries a guarantee back to EBay/Amazon/Paypal that you've fulfilled your duties as a seller.

Neat idea, but i can't imagine the post office would want this as it puts more liability on them to deliver. It will be harder for them to argue out of claims. Which they've done with me in the past.

5 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Neat idea, but i can't imagine the post office would want this as it puts more liability on them to deliver. It will be harder for them to argue out of claims. Which they've done with me in the past.

Ok, then move it completely third party who will deliver all packages to USPS/UPS/FedEx at the end of the day. Might be worth the few bucks per package if this third party then acts as an insurer (all packages shipped with signature confirmation, so buyers cannot claim it arrived damaged as they will have signed off).

Heck, this third party could put all the shipment details online (video, weights etc) and would share this with recipient before sending, so the recipient needs to pre-approve the package before it is sent.

Edited by Phil B

9 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

Third party insurance sounds cheaper. I don't see how inserting work requiring a person to video the package and enter details would lower cost below third party insurance rates.

Does third party insurance cover you when the recipient claims the LEGO box contains pingpong balls?

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Does third party insurance cover you when the recipient claims the LEGO box contains pingpong balls?

The postage receipt should should show the EXACT weight of what was sold. A buyer tried it on with me a few years ago and the proof of weight won my case out of court. The idiot claimed that I sent old dirty bricks that he returned but, they weighed 75g less! I actually got the police involved as eBay sided with him, not me. This is why expensive items are now cash on collection and 100% feedback is mandatory.

15 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

The postage receipt should should show the EXACT weight of what was sold. A buyer tried it on with me a few years ago and the proof of weight won my case out of court. The idiot claimed that I sent old dirty bricks that he returned but, they weighed 75g less! I actually got the police involved as eBay sided with him, not me. This is why expensive items are now cash on collection and 100% feedback is mandatory.

You sure do seem to run into way more than your fair share of trouble.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, KShine said:

You sure do seem to run into way more than your fair share of trouble.

It was for a UCS ISD which went out at 9.555KG and came back unsealed at 9.480KG. It was a £1200 sale so I had to report it as theft to the police. Yes, I'm one of the unluckiest people I know as our block of 36 flats (one of which I own and rent out) suffered storm damage last Winter and only mine suffered water ingress due to a hole in the roof! However, it was covered by insurance including lost rent. This is why I insure EVERYTHING that I post and trust NOBODY that I've not met before.

As a seller, you can't block buyers with less than 100% feedback.  Best you can do is block buyers with 2 or more unpaid item strikes in the last 6 months, a pathetic standard.  Win I sell on ebay, it's always buy it now with immediate purchase required, the only way around the out of control deadbeat buyers on that site. 

And surprisingly, my biggest issue with ebay has been as the buyer.  I purchased an expensive camera lens ($5000) at auction and resold it a month later.  The new buyer discovered it was reported stolen, and contacted the police.  PayPal refunded his purchase against me, and eventually PayPal refunded my PayPal purchase from eBay.  Took a couple of weeks and about 20 hours of work on my end to get my refund.  Ebay was less than worthless throughout.  They actively blocked all attempts to gather further info, refused to honor their 100% buyer satisfaction guarantee even with police reports, and refused to turn over info to PayPal.  Honestly, I wouldn't purchase anything of value from eBay ever again.  

Edited by diablo2112

15 minutes ago, diablo2112 said:

As a seller, you can't block buyers with less than 100% feedback.  Best you can do is block buyers with 2 or more unpaid item strikes in the last 6 months, a pathetic standard.  Win I sell on ebay, it's always buy it now with immediate purchase required, the only way around the out of control deadbeat buyers on that site.

Without going into too much detail, there is a very simple way to get around that too. :(  

Paypal and eBay are too busy backing scammers these days, it is like doing business in a den of thieves.  1 mistake and you lose $$$.

21 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

This is why I insure EVERYTHING that I post and trust NOBODY that I've not met before.

Probably the safest way but the most expensive too

Guest TabbyBoy
51 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Probably the safest way but the most expensive too

Not at all, the buyer pays for insured and tracked postage. Of course, greedy eBay take their 9% FVF from postage ;-(

Ive been selling on ebay for 20 yrs and really have not had any problems from people with at least 10 feedback.

Most of my issues have been with new ebay members. The biggest BS about the new ebay is as a seller you cant leave negative feedback for a buyer. It wasnt always like this and I dont understand why ebay changed it.

Ive been selling on ebay for 20 yrs and really have not had any problems from people with at least 10 feedback.

Most of my issues have been with new ebay members. The biggest BS about the new ebay is as a seller you cant leave negative feedback for a buyer. It wasnt always like this and I dont understand why ebay changed it.

Feedback extortion on the part of sellers against buyers.
  • Like 1

I realize this is the Need some eBay selling advice thread, but I did not where else to put this:  I sold a 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost set today on BL and the buyer put the following under Comments from Buyer: "Hello! Please add to the final payment any additional charges like paypal fees or so that apply for this purchase. Thank you!"

Is this a red flag or unusual? The reason I ask is I have never had anyone ask me this before.  I welcome your comments and thanks!  The buyer is in Mexico if that makes a difference.

Edited by LegoWalker4

52 minutes ago, LegoWalker4 said:

I realize this is the Need some eBay selling advice thread, but I did not where else to put this:  I sold a 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost set today on BL and the buyer put the following under Comments from Buyer: "Hello! Please add to the final payment any additional charges like paypal fees or so that apply for this purchase. Thank you!"

Is this a red flag or unusual? The reason I ask is I have never had anyone ask me this before.  I welcome your comments and thanks!  The buyer is in Mexico if that makes a difference.

Thanks to a lot of Lego selling pages on Facebook, people now believe that they must add paypal fees on top of the total price. Just reply and say the it is the obligation of the Seller to cover the Paypal fees, not the Buyer. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CrabslayerT said:

Thanks to a lot of Lego selling pages on Facebook, people now believe that they must add paypal fees on top of the total price. Just reply and say the it is the obligation of the Seller to cover the Paypal fees, not the Buyer. 

Thanks for the information and advice!

Quick question guys. So I have a customer who bought 2 60073 I have on eBay. First time that's happen. Not complaining obviously but I normally ship first class (since I can get it under 1 pound) my question is how should I go about sending this off? Can I ship 2 separate boxes and get the eBay FC discount? Or am I going to have to send it in a bigger box and pay double for shipping? Ultimately cutting into my bottom line...lol

Heading to work now (where I print my labels and box my stuff) was wondering what I should do. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Lego Templar said:

Quick question guys. So I have a customer who bought 2 60073 I have on eBay. First time that's happen. Not complaining obviously but I normally ship first class (since I can get it under 1 pound) my question is how should I go about sending this off? Can I ship 2 separate boxes and get the eBay FC discount? Or am I going to have to send it in a bigger box and pay double for shipping? Ultimately cutting into my bottom line...lol

Heading to work now (where I print my labels and box my stuff) was wondering what I should do. Thanks!

If you don't offer shipping discounts for multiples, and the buyer has bought 2 and paid for shipping on both (or you offer free shipping), I think this is all up to you. If you can get a better price shipping them both together than shipping them each separately, go that way. Otherwise, ship them out individually. The only place you need to get creative is with the tracking number - you might want to check with EBay support on how to handle this if you send 2 different packages (assuming the sale shows up as 1 line in EBay, with only one "Purchase Shipping" button).

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

If you don't offer shipping discounts for multiples, and the buyer has bought 2 and paid for shipping on both (or you offer free shipping), I think this is all up to you. If you can get a better price shipping them both together than shipping them each separately, go that way. Otherwise, ship them out individually. The only place you need to get creative is with the tracking number - you might want to check with EBay support on how to handle this if you send 2 different packages (assuming the sale shows up as 1 line in EBay, with only one "Purchase Shipping" button).

If you print a 2nd label for an ebay transaction (through ebay) - they will both show up in the tracking details.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

I've asked a lot on here and still no answer...

Is there any way that you can edit the address BEFORE paying for and printing the shipping label? For example, I would rather send to:

Reese Ella Skhum

69 Turdis Street

Arseville

Scrotumshire

AA11 1AA

instead of:

reese eLLA skHUM

69 tURDIS sT.

aRSEVILLE

aa111aa

You know what I mean? Some buyers haven't a clue about address formats and this can often cause delays. I've looked all over and CANNOT see a way to correct the address. Have any of you found a way or do you just send as is? Sorry, I'm too professional to just leave it.

Edited by TabbyBoy

6 minutes ago, Lego Templar said:

So I can do 2x and 2 boxes and still do 2 FC USPS. I never had to "look" for this option. When I go in I'll mess around. Worth case just ship them together.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, you can print 2 labels through ebay for the same transaction.

Also, it is more likely than not, that the cost to ship 2 using 1st class will cost more than 1 using priority. 

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Is there any way that you can edit the address BEFORE paying for and printing the shipping label? For example, I would rather send to:

Reese Ella Skhum

69 Turdis Street

Arseville

Scrotumshire

AA11 1AA

instead of:

reese eLLA skHUM

69 tURDIS sT.

aRSEVILLE

aa111aa

You know what I mean? Some buyers haven't a clue about address formats and this can often cause delays. I've looked all over and CANNOT see a way to correct the address. Have any of you found a way or do you just send as is? Sorry, I'm too professional to just leave it.

Not sure how it is handled in eBay UK, but in US you forfeit the eBay Seller Protection if you change ANY part of the listed address

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Reese Ella Skhum

69 Turdis Street

Arseville

Scrotumshire

AA11 1AA

instead of:

reese eLLA skHUM

69 tURDIS sT.

aRSEVILLE

aa111aa

Select print postage for your order, when it opens just select "change", you should then be able to change.

As @Darth_Raichu has mentioned any changes to buyers paypal shipping address (apart from changing from lowercase to uppercase) will result in an auto fail in case buyers opens not received case.

1.JPG

2.JPG

• Like 1