Need some EBay selling advice?

jbacunn

Has anyone experienced shipping a set which is slightly larger than the shipping box? For example 42009, which has the dimensions 22.75 x 19 x 3.75 inches. It kind of fits in a shipping box measuring 23 x 18 x 6.75, but I'm worried that the inch difference will cause the set box to get crushed in transit as the forces go direct through the set box and not the shipping box... 

Yea.... I'd be communicating with your buyer about how much they care about box condition. If you're charging calculated shipping, you can inform them the ultra tight fitting box will cost a few dollars less than a larger one with breathing room.... but you're certainly risking arrival condition! 

14 minutes ago, barakamon said:

Has anyone experienced shipping a set which is slightly larger than the shipping box? For example 42009, which has the dimensions 22.75 x 19 x 3.75 inches. It kind of fits in a shipping box measuring 23 x 18 x 6.75, but I'm worried that the inch difference will cause the set box to get crushed in transit as the forces go direct through the set box and not the shipping box... 

Why are you selling lego when you are obviously a magician and are able to overcome the laws of physics

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, barakamon said:

I think you just answered your own question.

• Like 1

Can always make your own box...
box.jpg

I just love it when sellers do this or stores like Kmart (sarcasm).
2 boxes sleeved into each other.

Sometimes when stores do it the results aren't disasterous, though I have a particular loathing for eBay sellers that take free priority boxes and get creative.

50 minutes ago, Zelgazra said:

Yea.... I'd be communicating with your buyer about how much they care about box condition. If you're charging calculated shipping, you can inform them the ultra tight fitting box will cost a few dollars less than a larger one with breathing room.... but you're certainly risking arrival condition! 

Yes I do have a bigger box but when I put the measurements through Canada Posts's rate finder there was $20 difference in the costs. Is it possible to put multiple shipping box sizes as shipping options in eBay?

38 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Can always make your own box...

box.jpg

I've thought of doing this as well, cutting and folding the bigger box to fit the set more snugly. But the extra work... Lol

37 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

Why are you selling lego when you are obviously a magician and are able to overcome the laws of physics

People tend to take what they have for granted and focus on other stuff they don't already have, like Legos... and money...  

But in seriousness with such a big box size and depth it can stretch a bit to fit the set box.

Not sure about multiple box dimensions.... maybe if you own a Store you can have features like that? I've never stumbled across any options like that. I'd typically list the set with the larger box you have, then when someone purchases it, notify them you have a smaller, less protective but cheaper box option, and simply let them decide. Buyer pays shipping, so if they're ok with that $20 premium, so be it. 

On January 5, 2017 at 4:57 PM, barakamon said:

I follow this thread and remembered this recent topic.  So today I was the recipient of a 21307 Caterham shoved in a box that is the same size as the Lego box.  It arrived looking like someone sat on it.  Plus, it has wear on all of the edges - all of the black is worn off.

So I hate to be that crazy collector to reach out to the seller, but I will.  Minor shelf wear is fine, but to ship it this way not so fine.  I would never have pulled this box off of the shelf and bought it.

So I think others answered your question as well so sorry to beat a dead horse.

36 minutes ago, trstnkn said:

I follow this thread and remembered this recent topic.  So today I was the recipient of a 21307 Caterham shoved in a box that is the same size as the Lego box.  It arrived looking like someone sat on it.  Plus, it has wear on all of the edges - all of the black is worn off.

So I hate to be that crazy collector to reach out to the seller, but I will.  Minor shelf wear is fine, but to ship it this way not so fine.  I would never have pulled this box off of the shelf and bought it.

So I think others answered your question as well so sorry to beat a dead horse.

Still better than the high speed train I received before Christmas. Wrapped in some bubble wrap and brown paper. It arrived looking like it had been kicked all the way here. Needless to say I contacted the seller and suggested his packaging was substandard. Tw@ said he always shipped that way, never had issues before and would continue to do so. Though I did get a small partial refund, and it was for parting out, I was worried that parts would be damaged since one side was completely flat

Buyer wants to return an item, claiming "pieces are broken." GMAFB.

It's a relatively inexpensive set ($20-25) but what are my options here? Deny the return and risk negative feedback that I'll have to fight? Or just eat it and move on? I'm guessing the minifigures will be gone. It's a battle pack.

Return window expired a while ago. See below.

Details:

Sale date: Nov-29-16

Return opened: Jan-09-17

Return shipping: seller pays

Return reason: Doesn't work or defective

Comments: This was a Christmas gift for my nephew. I just learned that some pieces are broken!

It's a relatively inexpensive set ($20-25) but what are my options here? Deny the return and risk negative feedback that I'll have to fight? Or just eat it and move on? I'm guessing the minifigures will be gone. It's a battle pack.

Details:

Comments: This was a Christmas gift for my nephew. I just learned that some pieces are broken!

If they contact lego they can get replacement pieces. A deffective product from a manufacturer (not likely from lego) is not your fault.

15 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Details:

You can probably start by sending them in LEGO's direction, as @pstebbing mentioned.  If they are persistent, you can start a return to see what you get back.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Details:

Assuming this was a new & sealed set - It sounds likely that the child broke the pieces.

I have had similar issues. The best response largely depends on the tone of the communications and how reasonable the buyer seems to be (and if the cost is worth all the effort).

Educate me. If the return window has closed, why do you even need to consider accepting a return? Wouldn't EBay remove any negative feedback and Buyer Protection claims based on the expiration of the return window?

I understand the whole "Customer is King" thing, but beyond a friendly gesture, there's nothing you're obliged to do, correct?

32 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Educate me. If the return window has closed, why do you even need to consider accepting a return? Wouldn't EBay remove any negative feedback and Buyer Protection claims based on the expiration of the return window?

I understand the whole "Customer is King" thing, but beyond a friendly gesture, there's nothing you're obliged to do, correct?

As long as the feedback window is open, there is risk.

Removing negative feedback is doable for specific qualifying reasons, but there are times, even when all the reasonable evidence might show that it deserves to be removed, it isn't.

1 hour ago, KShine said:

Assuming this was a new & sealed set - It sounds likely that the child broke the pieces.

I have had similar issues. The best response largely depends on the tone of the communications and how reasonable the buyer seems to be (and if the cost is worth all the effort).

I buy and build tons of lego sets over my 45 years. Only time I've ever had a broken lego piece was when i accidentally ran over a box with my SUV. Not saying it's not possible but that's my experience.

• Like 2

It wasn't a joke.
'
Return reason: Doesn't match description or photos
Comments: the boxes are destroyed. shipped in a paper bag! they are all crushed looks like they were ran over by a truck, not minor shelf wear like listed. poor shipping resulted in this. I will not pay One penny out of pocket to return these items when this is tour fault for doing this. this is ridiculous. I am shocked you would ship like this. Common sense. collectible boxed items shipped in a paper bag. unbelievable. I will expect a refund immediately and if you want the destroyed items back I will expect $9.45 sent to my paypal account to return them.

'i dont collect bad boxes. like the 4 destroyed items you just sent me. I am absolutely furious right now. I am trying to let you fix this before filing a claim with paypal. I will not pay one penny out of my pocket to return destroyed items that you shipped in a paper bag. I have never had a seller ship like this and purchased over 50 sets off ebay. could of walked into a store and paid same price for perfect boxes. these are worthless crushed as if a 50 pound weight was dropped on them. I want a refund '

Wow this is golden. I'll just make a few edits for when I inevitably get crushed boxes from TRU.

1 hour ago, KShine said:

"After your transaction, you have a full 60 days to leave Feedback".

Be careful, as buyers can make credit card chargebacks 120 days after transaction.

They can also open a PayPal claim up to 180 days after transaction.

I personally keep all transaction info for one year to be on the safe side.

Edited by Mhd747

From reading things like this, I think a new service that USPS, UPS and others can do is take a picture of the item (360 view) of what the delivery looks like when delivered.  Are there holes in the sides, is it crushed, etc... are pieces falling out (I've had this happen to me, the Lego pieces were literally falling out as the driver walked it to my front door and handed it to me).

Being a 3rd party would possibly end and help a lot of these disputes.  Even better service, package must be opened in front of a 3rd party but that would be very difficult to handle and pay for.

• Like 1

As a Seller On Ebay you stand very little chance if any cases are open i sell a lot of high end watch parts on Ebay.Or i should say i used to i got hit with three claims about damaged or broken items on delivery.everything i send is in perfect As new condition with photographs packing videos and tracking all for Free postage i might add.

accepted returns  1 item never sent back so far funds all on hold £1900 2 i was sent back similar but damaged products (buyers old ones i think) ebay sided with them and after 4 hours on the phone trying to appeal it I'm still left with damaged goods loss of money.

TBH if its  $30 id just refund it its really not  worth the hassle.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LegoMan1212 said:

From reading things like this, I think a new service that USPS, UPS and others can do is take a picture of the item (360 view) of what the delivery looks like when delivered.  Are there holes in the sides, is it crushed, etc... are pieces falling out (I've had this happen to me, the Lego pieces were literally falling out as the driver walked it to my front door and handed it to me).

Being a 3rd party would possibly end and help a lot of these disputes.  Even better service, package must be opened in front of a 3rd party but that would be very difficult to handle and pay for.

I've thought about this too, but as a service on the sending end. Sort of a grading service at the Post Office. You come in with an unsealed package, post office worker weighs the contents, notes any deficiencies (using an online system that has "check steps" for each type of shipment), does a 360 degree HD camera scan of the item shipped and the opened package, then seals the package with printed tape (to prevent tampering). You pay a few extra bucks for this service, it should take less than 2 mins to do, and the service then carries a guarantee back to EBay/Amazon/Paypal that you've fulfilled your duties as a seller.

• Like 1