10227 - UCS B-Wing Starfighter

MaximusLegous

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to pick one of these up for $5 over msrp shipped. It should be here tomorrow. I feel lucky.

so $205? maybe i should get rid of my complete, adult owned, displayed for 1 day on may the 4th, no stickers applied, damaged box = extra VIPs (thanks LEGO), set #11? nah, its only going up in value :) amazingly its a very light set for a UCS and the size of the box.   

• Like 1

so $205? maybe i should get rid of my complete, adult owned, displayed for 1 day on may the 4th, no stickers applied, damaged box = extra VIPs (thanks LEGO), set #11? nah, its only going up in value :) amazingly its a very light set for a UCS and the size of the box.   

No, $195. I thought these were 190 msrp. I did even better than I thought.

I finally cleared off a shelf to display my B-Wing, I really like the set and it's pretty sturdy for what it is.  The stand seems to work well, although a strong bump would probably knock it off.  I've always loved this ship and the Y-Wing.  I guess I have a thing for oddly shaped ships.  I'm secretly hoping for a redo of the UCS Y-Wing to add to my collection.

• Like 2

I am torn in regards to this sets investment potential. I cannot ignore the fact that almost all UCS sets do very well in the afterlife.......but I also cannot ignore the fact that this ship is far from iconic. I thought it was rather a strange choice for a UCS given that much more iconic pieces have not gotten the UCS treatment. Thoughts?

How do you feel about the investment potential since you originally posted? Your opinion change?

I bought in at $150, missed the $99 sale but picked a few up via bricklink.  I built one, stashed the others.  I will sell once it hits $300, which I'm confident it will hit eventually.  Even though the B-Wing doesn't get much love, UCS collectors will need it in their collection.

• Like 1

I bought in at $150, missed the $99 sale but picked a few up via bricklink.  I built one, stashed the others.  I will sell once it hits $300, which I'm confident it will hit eventually.  Even though the B-Wing doesn't get much love, UCS collectors will need it in their collection.

I will stash mine away and forget about it. In 2 or 3 years it will be like finding treasure.

I finally cleared off a shelf to display my B-Wing, I really like the set and it's pretty sturdy for what it is. The stand seems to work well, although a strong bump would probably knock it off. I've always loved this ship and the Y-Wing. I guess I have a thing for oddly shaped ships. I'm secretly hoping for a redo of the UCS Y-Wing to add to my collection.

I almost missed out on this set, which means to say I only have one for my own and zero for later.

Alas, I'm on the same boat as you with regards to the UCS Y-wing. I have thought of BrickLinking a set myself but was put off by the price on one of the rare pieces that you need about 112 of.

thats when i went shopping. there was no limit apparently (???) so i cleared both b&ms nearby. got them yogurt ears and posters with each one too. it was a hella party that may the 4th.

Lego.com had a max of 5 $99s per order. TRU.com didn't have a max amount per order.

I remember Lego stores also limited customers (#s varied by store).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm seeing it hovering at 240 right now.  I'm being impatient at the moment and just want to dump mine, I feel like the money can be used elsewhere. I only have one.  The HH's I got are impressing me much more.

I just bought one this weekend for $209 shipping included off BrickLink (needed it for my own collcetion). When I was stalking eBay the last couple weeks they were going for about $210 - $220 + s/****

I'm seeing it hovering at 240 right now.  I'm being impatient at the moment and just want to dump mine, I feel like the money can be used elsewhere. I only have one.  The HH's I got are impressing me much more.

i just reduced by 10227 stock by 60%. This allows me to free up storage space (and some cash for other sets).  why?

here's how i look at lego investing. 

the majority of post-retirement growth occurs during the first 2 years after retirement.  see the chart below (i made up ROI %s).

for the vast majority of sets, ROI is generally calculated from MSRP since not everyone pays the same. 

for this post, i'm going to assume an initial price of $160 since the 10227 was available at a heavy discount during it's last 5 months of retail.

the initial 9-10 months after retirement has been spent increasing back to MSRP $200 (from about $160) and then surpassing it. 

post-3743-0-08163800-1411922717.jpg

• That means it's first year after retirement will have an annual ROI predicted to be about 40% (puts the value at $225 for Dec 2015). 

• 99% of sets do not have an ROI% higher it's 1st year. 

let's assume the very best and it matches it at 40% during the 2nd yr. 

• That would put it at $315 after 2 years (Dec 2016).

Still a very nice return if 40% is achieved for both year 1 and 2 (aka years 1 and 2 have the same ROI %) but I seriously doubt it.  however, i might be wrong for 3  reasons?

• 10227 has the shortest retail life of any Star Wars UCS set (about 20 months)
  • historically, even the lowest performing UCS original trilogy sets have fared well.we can found CAGRs (about 10%) here. 

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/sets.cfm?theme=89&subtheme=527&sort=set_year&order=asc

unfort, i can't find the ROIs for each set's first two years after retirement.

• The new movies will help 10227 demand although i fear many fans might already own it.  ihowever, all bets are off if the B-Wing makes another appearance and the set should skyrocket in value.  The latter is why i'm holding onto some sets for another 2 years.