10227 - UCS B-Wing Starfighter

MaximusLegous

The FB is not retired - its just sold out which means nothing.. Its selling well because its sold out. Its where they finish that matters. Bwing has a much higher ceiling. The moment people start unloading their Fire Brigades, the price is gonna plummet.

I don't when you were selling but the Bwings are selling pretty fast now.

FB not retired and the prices are already rocketing.

BWing is retired. That's a big difference, while money is being made flipping FB, Bwing is at a stand still. Anyways, I will be buying a BWing with the Buy It Now for $179 on ebay, that's below retail price. Still a good deal for a discontinued item. I'll see what happens. No loss buying that hunk of crap. :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FB not retired and the prices are already rocketing.

BWing is retired. That's a big difference, while money is being made flipping FB, Bwing is at a stand still. Anyways, I will be buying a BWing with the Buy It Now for $179 on ebay, that's below retail price. Still a good deal for a discontinued item. I'll see what happens. No loss buying that hunk of crap. :)

Yeah the prices are up - but you have to remember panic buying. When people think a set is probably gone, they buy buy buy and prices go way up - especially at December. 

Maybe people will hold out and this set will keep rising, but I think once it hits $250, a bunch of people are going to offload and the price will just never rise because there are so many people that have it.

Given the fact how fast it rose to $225 ish has went over many peoples expectations already...

You're talking about the FB?

There seems to be those who back the FB and those who back the Bwing. I rather just believe in the numbers. The numbers show the FB way ahead of the BWing. And who said the FB isn't discontinued? The fear with buying the Bwing is that you are limited by SW fans. The FB fits all niche.

Yeah the prices are up - but you have to remember panic buying. When people think a set is probably gone, they buy buy buy and prices go way up - especially at December. 

Maybe people will hold out and this set will keep rising, but I think once it hits $250, a bunch of people are going to offload and the price will just never rise because there are so many people that have it.

Might want to ask yourself why there's panic buying on FB and why there isn't a panic buying on the BWing?

You're talking about the FB?

There seems to be those who back the FB and those who back the Bwing. I rather just believe in the numbers. The numbers show the FB way ahead of the BWing. And who said the FB isn't discontinued? The fear with buying the Bwing is that you are limited by SW fans. The FB fits all niche.

Correct, FB is statistically doing much much better. Bwing is actually under what the MSRP was. 

Its been gone since may. There was, couple months ago - it leveled off after that.

I bought the Bwing in July for $140, so it wasn't really gone since May. I don't trust the hype here on the BWing. I owned both BWing and FB, and the numbers says I can make more money from the FB than the BWing. The Bwing is a sitting dog, especially where I live. I posted both BWing and FB on classified ads, BWing had only one sucker who bought from me. The FB, I unloaded them too fast too furious. I posted an ad of it for $235, FB, and I get people asking if I can sell for $225.

While the Bwing retail was higher than the FB, most of the people selling them on eBay right now are those that stocked up on May 4th when they were discounted to $99.99.  I have had no problem moving Bwings at $180 with free shipping.  That's an 80% ROI prior to fees and shipping.  Even after you take fees/shipping/taxes out it's still a good return considering it's only been about 6-7 months since purchasing them.  If you bought the Bwing at retail then hold it, they will be above $200 eventually.........

While the Bwing retail was much higher than the FB, most of the people selling them on eBay right now are those that stocked up on May 4th when they were discounted to $99.99.  I have had no problem moving Bwings at $180 with free shipping.  That's an 80% ROI prior to fees and shipping.  even after you take fees/shipping/taxes out it's still a good return considering it's only been about 6-7 months since purchasing them.  If you bought the Bwing at retail then hold it, they will be above $200 eventually.........

Gotta keep in mind that the returns should be based on retail price, not on discounted price. Not everyone can get those discounted price that you mentioned. Try talking to someone in Asia and ask them where they got their lego from, bet you they don't get them discounted. Or even people in Russia or the middle east. In my part of the world, the BWing retails for $229, so those who bought them, what do they do now? I can pick a BWing up on ebay for $170. Those who don't know how to skirt around import taxes are left holding the bag for a long time. The FB retails here for $199, and I can easily flip this baby for $230 right now. As mentioned, as an investor, give me one good reason to get the Bwing and have the ability to quickly flip it, very difficult. You are dealing with a very small group of interested buyers. The FB on the other hand, you're dealing with the masses. Same goes with things like LOTR. When I was in Hong Kong, there was zero interest in the LOTR. Show them the Tower of Orthanc and they're wondering what the heck that is.

I was never talking about quick flipping. If you are quick flipping anything thats 199 for 230, you aren't really making that much for the effort - unless you are doing it locally I guess.

There are much better things to quick flip than either of these. I was talking more about the long term set growth. The Fire Brigade is not going to even come close to its modular predecessors. I wish it would, but its been around too long and there are too many people with them. I would love for it to - but just a different game. Really nothing will ever come close to those first three modulars.

I was never talking about quick flipping. If you are quick flipping anything thats 199 for 230, you aren't really making that much for the effort - unless you are doing it locally I guess.

There are much better things to quick flip than either of these. I was talking more about the long term set growth. The Fire Brigade is not going to even come close to its modular predecessors. I wish it would, but its been around too long and there are too many people with them. I would love for it to - but just a different game. Really nothing will ever come close to those first three modulars.

That's an assumption that the FB can't come close to the Green Grocer. Based on play and design, the FB looks way better than the GG. Of course, the problem is the number of sets out there. But when we're talking about the BWing, we can't assume it will sky rocket like the Millenium Falcon, not happening. Those holding the BWing are in for a rude awakening if they expect double digit growth. It could be worth something, but where are the buyers? I have way better options when it comes to investing in lego. I rather load up Batman Arkham Asylum with my money, and in 5 yrs time, the Arkham will outperform the BWing by loads. If I had a choice of Helms Deep or BWing, HD wins out.

Where were the buyers for every other star wars UCS set? There aren't people out there that want all the others and don't want this one.

In fact the only two that haven't seen incredible growth were two of the smallest, and least iconic sets - Jedi Starfighter and Grievous.

I honestly don't know why for Grievous because that set rocks, but both were insanely discounted and out for a long time. There are tons of star wars fans, I don't think that will be an issue. It will be more how high will people spend for something. Plus there are like a billion new movies coming out.

The fire brigade being better than the GG doesn't really matter that much. All of them are better than market street - I think that thing is incredibly ugly. But its rare as heck, because no one was investing in Lego then.

Why are we comparing the one Star Wars UCS set with the shortest retail life ever with a firehouse that was sold for 4 1/4 years. In fact, not many "hard to find" sets in the past 4 years have been around for only 13 months. If anything, 5/4/13's $99 Sale at Lego.com and toysrus.com will only help 10227's demand because it was such a historic sale. Before that date, no one was talking about 10227 except it was a nice looking set without a minifig at high retail price. Thus, people (including myself) wouldnt buy it. For those who haven't built one or seen one on display (I mean, a really good look), you missed out. 10227 is one of the better USC sets (and I've built a few).

I still think last year's 10212 EOL'd Imperial Shuttle is a better overall set (looks and ROI due to it's popularity with SW fans). This set also had a retail price that was prob $25 to $50 too high, it was also discounted many times over 10%. Avg amazon price was about $235 (vs $260 retail) if we eliminate the insane $180 sale.

I think we should be comparing 10227 with other recent UCS sets. I would prob stray away from Obi-Wan's ship since that never had interest (ugh, prequels stuff). I'll be very happy if the B-Wing performed like 10212.

Regardless, I'm enjoying the ride and see empty long highway roads ahead for my 6-speed manual. Up shifting now my friends.

• Like 2

Purchase at $199 to flip at $230? That makes zero sense unless you are doing all cash transactions, but even that seems like more of a pain then it's worth.

And I thought we were comparing the FB to the Bwing? Now we're sudden comparing the FB to Arkham Asylum and the Bwing to Helm's Deep. Either way, all 4 sets will be good investments, some better than others.

Supraboy, you were talking about quick flipping and how the FB is a better quick flipper than the Bwing. That all depends on what purchase price you bought at, as does every set when it comes to flipping. Regardless I have to disagree when you say that people investing in the Bwing are going to experience a rude awakening and that Bwing sellers are dealing with a very small group of interested buyers. Lego Star Wars has a massive following, and that following continues to grow each year. Those that have been in the Lego investing game for awhile have made a lot of money thanks to the Star Wars theme. While reselling gets more competitive over time, there is still good money to be made with sets like the Bwing. And just wait until the new movies come out in a few years..........the already large Lego Star Wars following will grow even more.

Purchase at $199 to flip at $230? That makes zero sense unless you are doing all cash transactions, but even that seems like more of a pain then it's worth.

And I thought we were comparing the FB to the Bwing? Now we're sudden comparing the FB to Arkham Asylum and the Bwing to Helm's Deep. Either way, all 4 sets will be good investments, some better than others.

Supraboy, you were talking about quick flipping and how the FB is a better quick flipper than the Bwing. That all depends on what purchase price you bought at, as does every set when it comes to flipping. Regardless I have to disagree when you say that people investing in the Bwing are going to experience a rude awakening and that Bwing sellers are dealing with a very small group of interested buyers. Lego Star Wars has a massive following, and that following continues to grow each year. Those that have been in the Lego investing game for awhile have made a lot of money thanks to the Star Wars theme. While reselling gets more competitive over time, there is still good money to be made with sets like the Bwing. And just wait until the new movies come out in a few years..........the already large Lego Star Wars following will grow even more.

The latest FB, USED, went for $200USD + Shipping. What's wrong with flipping for a 15% profit? Which stock can guarantee such returns? $30 here, $30 there, it all adds up. It allows me to load up $30 transformers from Japan and sell them in North America for $75. You gotta think it out like a business. From personal experience, I posted both the BWing and FB on Craigslist, it was a 10-1 ratio on demand for the FB over BWing and it ain't even close.

You need to compare retail prices and sale price. Not the entry point. What if people got the BWing for $50, and the FB for full retail? Does that mean the BWing returns better? I mentioned at I got the Tower Bridge for around $125, so if I sell it for $240 while others buy from walmart for $240, does that mean I kicked ass? Nope. I did make a profit, but in reality, I got lucky on getting it cheap.

The latest FB, USED, went for $200USD + Shipping. What's wrong with flipping for a 15% profit? Which stock can guarantee such returns? $30 here, $30 there, it all adds up. It allows me to load up $30 transformers from Japan and sell them in North America for $75. You gotta think it out like a business. From personal experience, I posted both the BWing and FB on Craigslist, it was a 10-1 ratio on demand for the FB over BWing and it ain't even close.

I think comparing the retail price to the MSRP is smart when trying to compare the relative demand among the sets, but the B-Wing is definitely the exception to this rule as most US investors grabbed it at $100 on May the Fourth.  In Canada, it's a different story given there was no 50% off May the Fourth promotion, so you're spot on with your analysis for your situation.

For US buyers, the $100 price point wasn't a lucky occurrence, though.  I would be willing to wager hundreds of US investors have B-Wing in their portfolios at a $100 price point.  That makes it a much different demand and ROI calculation when assessing current or future sales.

You need to compare retail prices and sale price. Not the entry point. What if people got the BWing for $50, and the FB for full retail? Does that mean the BWing returns better? I mentioned at I got the Tower Bridge for around $125, so if I sell it for $240 while others buy from walmart for $240, does that mean I kicked ass? Nope. I did make a profit, but in reality, I got lucky on getting it cheap.

This a good option to assess the comparitive demand for each set in a particular market, but obviously not for individual portfolio returns and in this case not for returns across markets.

Sort of as Quacs is saying - retail price doesn't matter much. In turn, its actually what price everyone could readily get this for. For most people $100 was the price on the Bwing, and more sales around the $120-$140 range. That is where it will be judged.

Obiwans starfighter saw sales around the 60$s and 50$s. In terms of retail it didn't do great - but in terms of what you could actually get it for, not terrible. Same for grievous.

Eitherway, you are seeing the result of panic buying on the FB. The Bwing didn't see a ton because it was quiet as it has always been. But it will pick up whereas after the FB dies down, there will be tons of offloading eventually, killing the price.

BWing sold for $125 up here on May the fourth.

I didn't know that - then the B-Wing should be held to a lower standard.  My guess is there are many Canadian investors with this in their portfolio at $125.  If so, they will be making sales decisions based on this price point, not the $200 price point (or whatever MSRP is above the border).

Fire Brigade is arguably the best Lego set ever. Period. Its better than Cafe Corner, better than Market Street, and better than Green Grocer. There is only two sets that compare in over all design, playability with that iconic je ne c'est quoi that makes Lego winners... and they are more than double in price and the retired one is headed for five digit gains. Fire Brigade is a monster and no matter the stockpile of FB's in closets across the globe.... it won't be enough to match demand once retired. Bwing.... meh!

• Like 1