10227 - UCS B-Wing Starfighter

MaximusLegous

The retail price for you is 200 Euro. I think it is a decent deal. For some countries, the set is retired, in others, they are still selling them or it shows sold out.

I think Lego have been stringing us along with this set. The stores cleared them in June, 30% off. Then they came back, then went, then back again.

True, but I think JJ Abrams is going to blow people's minds with the new versions.  I love his STAR TREK movies.  He was true to the originals and gave the new versions a touch of class not found in earlier versions.

I do not see what people have against E1-3, I remember that when E3 finished, now they need to remake E4-6 as they don't really run together.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt really like Star Trek a ton. Action and everything was good but movies lack character development. No one takes the time to make the viewer understand the characters internally from a deep level. For me to love a movie I have to feel like I absolutely know the characters inside and out.

The thing about Star Trek is that character development was never part of the original plan by the TV studio. So character development really began with the original Trek Movies... And then with TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, character development happens over multiple episodes, entire seasons or across seasons. It's a slow trek.

The JJ Abrams movies on the other hand, especially the most recent, were chock full of character development.

Have you ever watched Trek Nation made by Eugene Roddenberry? It was excellent.

I am the dream of every Director/Studio, etc. I have a really have a hard time finding a movie I don't really enjoy for what it is. I actually really like the SW prequels, even if the OT is way better.

Agreed! 

I feel that even the less popular SW movies are better than most other movies, but have been a diehard fan since '77. Damn I'm old

I am the dream of every Director/Studio, etc. I have a really have a hard time finding a movie I don't really enjoy for what it is. I actually really like the SW prequels, even if the OT is way better.

Being 28 and really getting into star wars in 98/99 I too enjoy the prequels a fair amount. I def see the weaknesses there and I have high hopes for the new ones.

I think the b-wing will do well in a long run scenario for people my age who have young children will be taking their children to see episode 7 and will no doubt rewatch both of the other trilogies sparking a new found interest in the story they loved in their teens but haven't had time/money for. My son is 3 now and will be 5 when episode 7 comes out to as long as it's PG we will be going opening day if at all possible.

The thing to keep in mind about the original versus the new trilogy is that the new trilogy is still current and very much of interest to today's lego-craving youth. Kids like my 8 year old son ignore the lego sets about the original trilogy generally (though the big ewok set has grabbed his attention). They want the sets from "their" movies and especially if it ties into Clone Wars in any way, which the entire new trilogy does. They still want sets that came out 3-4 or more years ago, which means their parents "want" to get them. If you are a long term investor these sets will clean up in the future. Those of you like me who grew up with the original trilogy will readily buy these sets even though the toys didn't even exist when we were kids, just as we will often buy the actual Star Wars toys of our youth, even current remakes. Imagine then what a group of kids would do to buy the actual lego sets that were around when they were kids.

The thing about Star Trek is that character development was never part of the original plan by the TV studio. So character development really began with the original Trek Movies... And then with TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, character development happens over multiple episodes, entire seasons or across seasons. It's a slow trek.

The JJ Abrams movies on the other hand, especially the most recent, were chock full of character development.

Have you ever watched Trek Nation made by Eugene Roddenberry? It was excellent.

I agree.  The character development was fine IMO.  They did a ton of stuff on Kirk and Spock.  No need to explain more in a two hour movie.  I want to be entertained, not bored to death.  This isn't "Lost."  LOL

Jeff,

Have your kids watched the original movies on Blu-Ray? All 3 look like they could have been made 10-12 years ago. Then those 3 films will be "theirs" instead of the awful Hayden, Yippie and JarJar movies.

He has watched them, he has 0 interest in seeing them again. They don't look like they were made 10 years ago. They look like they were made in the 70s-80s, with the limited FX and less action scenes. He and his friends think the clones are awesome. They don't think the same about stormtrooopers, even though there are minor differences. The new trilogy has more jedi, more villains, more action, and is aimed at them. I still prefer the original trilogy but the new one is even more on target for kids big time. They have no problem with Jar Jar. As I said earlier, my son is more interested in the ewoks than anything else in the old trilogy. The ewoks were the Jar Jar of our time. Too cute and they undercut the serious nature of the movies that existed up until they showed up on screen.

I agree with the Episodes 1-3 fans. The quality of both sets of episodes is up for debate, sure, but I think many of the OT fans are fans partially because that's what you've grown up with. But think of the newer generation - the generation that will be buying up LEGO sets in 10, 15, 20 years. What movies did they grow up with? Toy Story, Cars, Pirates of the Carribbean, Star Wars Episodes 1-3, and soon to be Episodes 7+. Currently the money may be at the OT sets because many younger SW fans are going into the "Dark Ages" of SW, but I think we will see a shift eventually, in favor of E1-3, and other LEGO theme "floppers".

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the BWing, I sold mine last week. I can't see the prices going up that high. The interest on this thing was dead compared to something like the SSD or the Death Star. Only time will tell I guess.

While I can see why you`de say that, there is a trend some have noted about sets like this. Basically, people pay little/no attention while they are available, which leads to the sets` EOL. Then people decide that they want it! Ninjago would be a good example of an underrated theme. Not very many invested at first because they thought nothing of it, while, everyone who missed the boat is regretting it. It may take some time, but B-Wing is sure to make some decent returns in the future, and is already a large money maker for those who bought in at 50% off back in May (for $100 US and $125 CAN). 

B-wing is good.  People will realize they want it once it is gone and gone.  With Star Wars getting rebooted all the UCS will receive a boost in popularity.  Long term hold sure, but if you have the space I don't see the harm.

It is good, but from an investment perspective, I'd take my chances with the Death Star, or better yet, the Fire Brigade. I unloaded my BWing for about $200 so I made my fair share of money.

I went to Hong Kong in October and took a look at the interest. The big interest is in modulars and things such as Tower Bridge, Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal. Nobody cared too much about Star Wars items.It's all supply and demand. When you have the big boys in Asia loading up the hot items, that's where the money is made.

It is good, but from an investment perspective, I'd take my chances with the Death Star, or better yet, the Fire Brigade. I unloaded my BWing for about $200 so I made my fair share of money.

I went to Hong Kong in October and took a look at the interest. The big interest is in modulars and things such as Tower Bridge, Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal. Nobody cared too much about Star Wars items.It's all supply and demand. When you have the big boys in Asia loading up the hot items, that's where the money is made.

Well most of the other SW UCS sets have done tremendously well. I think the Bwing will easily outgain the Fire Brigade - a set that everyone and their mother has stocked away. The Death Star will never retire, but if it ever does it will gain some, just not a tremendous amount once people get tired of holding them.

The Fire Brigade is the most owned set in the brickfolio (or was) according to Ed. Its just not gonna get that high after beign available for 4 years and everyone stocking up because of the 3 modulars before it. I am not sure I would waste 100$ on it as an investment. Obviously its worth that to build.

Well most of the other SW UCS sets have done tremendously well. I think the Bwing will easily outgain the Fire Brigade - a set that everyone and their mother has stocked away. The Death Star will never retire, but if it ever does it will gain some, just not a tremendous amount once people get tired of holding them.

The Fire Brigade is the most owned set in the brickfolio (or was) according to Ed. Its just not gonna get that high after beign available for 4 years and everyone stocking up because of the 3 modulars before it. I am not sure I would waste 100$ on it as an investment. Obviously its worth that to build.

Right now, both Bwing and Fire Brigade are discontinued. Retail is $149 on FB, Bwing was $159. FB now going for $199 on ebay, Bwing stuck at $179, shipping included. So far, the most owned set is outperforming a set that has no interest. I can still buy the Bwing at $179 on Buy It Now, which I will do just in case. I got 3 FB right now, I can flip them now, pocket the cash, while the Bwing, when will it hit $199? At my office, nobody cares about the Bwing. You are right, it's possible the FB has been stockpiled, but at the same time, there is interest in the FB. Go around and ask your momma and pappas and your neighbors, show them a Bwing, then show them a FB, you can unload the FB easy. The Bwing could worth more, for collectors, but if you try to unload it, it's difficult. That's what I noticed. I brought in 10 FB, they moved like hotcakes. I had one Bwing for 6 months, and it took freaking 6 months to unload. The profits are there for FB, fast money. I don't want to risk a flood in my basement and the BWing sinks underwater.

Right now, both Bwing and Fire Brigade are discontinued. Retail is $149 on FB, Bwing was $159. FB now going for $199 on ebay, Bwing stuck at $179, shipping included. So far, the most owned set is outperforming a set that has no interest. I can still buy the Bwing at $179 on Buy It Now, which I will do just in case. I got 3 FB right now, I can flip them now, pocket the cash, while the Bwing, when will it hit $199? At my office, nobody cares about the Bwing. You are right, it's possible the FB has been stockpiled, but at the same time, there is interest in the FB. Go around and ask your momma and pappas and your neighbors, show them a Bwing, then show them a FB, you can unload the FB easy. The Bwing could worth more, for collectors, but if you try to unload it, it's difficult. That's what I noticed. I brought in 10 FB, they moved like hotcakes. I had one Bwing for 6 months, and it took freaking 6 months to unload. The profits are there for FB, fast money. I don't want to risk a flood in my basement and the BWing sinks underwater.

The FB is not retired - its just sold out which means nothing.. Its selling well because its sold out. Its where they finish that matters. Bwing has a much higher ceiling. The moment people start unloading their Fire Brigades, the price is gonna plummet.

I don't when you were selling but the Bwings are selling pretty fast now.

Being retail is $199, not $159

I meant to say that as well.

Also I don't understand anyone who says this set is "brittle" or "flimsy". I picked one up the other day by the wing and it fine. its just beautiful. I love the set. It does take up a lot of space, but it also had such a short retail life and has been sought after since its been gone. there have been some awesome deals on this set too.