10254 - Winter Holiday Train

DadsAFOL

I'm not impressed with this. It should really have at least one proper passenger car. LEGO is licensing everything these days, even crap like Angry Birds so I think they really missed a great licensing opportunity with this set. Forget about making it like The Polar Express, get the license and make The Polar Express. I just don't think this set fits in with the rest of the village. Oh well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mos_Eisley said:

I'm not impressed with this. It should really have at least one proper passenger car. 

I couldn't agree more - this isn't a proper train.  Trains don't haul only one wimpy flatbed car and a caboose. That said, I like the design and may try moc-ing a couple of additional cars.  And, I will be getting PFs for this. 

I think this is like the Wall-E set... gives you the opportunity to mod this and make this your own custom set. Wall-E motorized was done in so many different ways and even mine was different than all the other mods I've seen. This set will be the same way. For $100, it gives you the flexibility to do that. Enjoy modifying this set with your kids, your wife, or yourself. I am just happy the steam stack is upright with smoke coming out of it. I have been waiting for a train like this. I can't wait to turn on the holiday music, wrap our presents, put together our Lego Holiday set, and open the first day of the Lego Advent calendar with my wife. It's like a holiday unto itself.

Edited by Zippy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On a brighter note they had a holiday train in the back they let me checkout. Its one that will be built for the store for display. Quite nice actually and it utilizes the standard size track. On the back it showed the power functions needed to motorize it. It appeared the train is narrower then most trains. The battery pack for it I believe will be shaped accordingly to fit. I unfortunately didnt take any pics............My bad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, longshot said:

On a brighter note they had a holiday train in the back they let me checkout. Its one that will be built for the store for display. Quite nice actually and it utilizes the standard size track. On the back it showed the power functions needed to motorize it. It appeared the train is narrower then most trains. The battery pack for it I believe will be shaped accordingly to fit. I unfortunately didnt take any pics............My bad.

Nope, standard train battery pack for the 6-wide tender. Battery pack itself is 4-wide. 

15 minutes ago, TLKC said:

Which older set should i get for pf and track?

Go for 60051 it is easy to get at 50-40 percent off this gives 4 straights and 16 curved and the PF and with 7499 which give 8 straight and 16 flexi (4 flexi= 1 straight in length) this gives options for varied layouts.

Edit

Also you can part out the unwanted parts for reasonable money in the UK the carriage goes for 28-35 pounds which would be more than half of what I payed for mine so you may even breakeven including fess whilst keeping the desired items.

Edited by Will 4
Added stuff

3 minutes ago, TLKC said:

Which older set should i get for pf and track?

Unless you want an older retired train you may be better off buying a current train set or the necessary power function items from LEGO Shop at Home.  Current trains are the 60051 Passenger Train, 60052 Cargo Train, and 60098 Heavy Haul.  Individual parts at LEGO Shop at Home are about $55, unless you forego the remote and sensor, then you're down to $27.  At those prices I would consider buying a set.

11 minutes ago, biking_tiger said:

Cripes! I love how there's no picture of the box front so there's no telling how many pieces you get for your 600 smackeroos.

Does anyone think this will be available at target.com this year? I forget whether or not the toy shop was available there last year. I didn't have the patience to wait beyond the release date for the winter toy shop, but I'm going to pretend for the next 8 days that I'll have the patience to wait for the train to arrive at Target.

2 hours ago, P_R_Rice said:

Does anyone think this will be available at target.com this year? I forget whether or not the toy shop was available there last year. I didn't have the patience to wait beyond the release date for the winter toy shop, but I'm going to pretend for the next 8 days that I'll have the patience to wait for the train to arrive at Target.

Just wait for October 1st, u can buy the train with double VIP and free advent calendar-that makes the deal much sweeter.

i was going to ask when (if at all) early VIP access starts for this set, but I think your post suggests 15th of this month, right? I just can't remember...

Edited by Lordoflego

3 minutes ago, Lordoflego said:

Just wait for October 1st, u can buy the train with double VIP and free advent calendar-that makes the deal much sweeter.

i was going to ask when (if at all) early VIP access starts for this set, but I think your post suggests 15th of this month, right? I just can't remember...

15th of Sep - as per a poster on the door of my local LEGO shop.

• Like 1