75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

I'll look for all the "Lego is better than fools gold" articles, when they make 10179.2

If the 10179 gets remade it will be a top seller. Everyone will buy it. Hoping for the same returns as the 10179. However this will not be realistic. 

10030 is a superb set. But it is and was so much scarcer. Especially NISB. Cause back then mostly it was bought by die-hard collectors. Who mostly bought only one. 

• Like 3

I'm share similar thoughts as you do, Ciglione.  

Here is my take.  September 1st begins the amazon sales period to start ramping up for the holidays.  If by the end of october, I don't see stock getting blown out at a level I like, i'm not putting a single dollar into a lot of EOL sets for this upcoming year.  I'm not as deep as some, but I have well over 10 g's in stock sitting in and around the house.  Some themes like Lord of the Rings/Hobbit, i'm willing to wait a longer time on.  Others, i'm not.  It's time to move quite a bit of it actually, and not reinvest it back into future lego sets..  The signs are obvious to me on what to buy, and what not to buy.  I will no longer say with confidence investing in Star Wars theme is going to pan out much further down the line.  There will be some sets here and there that will do well, but overall there's going to be a lot of sets that barely break even after fees, taxes, time, and the rest are factored in.  I have a feeling Lego is moving into refreshing sets a lot faster than the 3 to 4 year cycle they used to do. 

Edited by fossilrock
  • Like 4

Guess the UCS Star Wars fans can treat 2016 like an investing/collecting gap year.

Normally I collect each UCS Star Wars set but i refuse to buy the Hoth playset and certainly wont be buying the new Death Star either.

Whether Lego had their arm twisted to do this or not I think its a big mistake to do it when they did.

Had they waited 3-4 years and released both sets and given a lot more thought in turning the Hoth playset into a worthy Hoth UCS perhaps the reception may have been vastly different.

I secretly hope the leaked pics and info are a bug ruse to throw off the fake Lego market, but thats just wishful thinking.

Edited by Out of the Dark Years
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The new minifig wigs could fill a minute or two and there is the new UCS logo to talk about. Maybe also some cheese discussion.

Also even though its not in the movie we added a scout lookout turret just like the hoth set cause we thought it should have one.

Edited by Out of the Dark Years

9 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

If there is one silver lining to the 75159 cloud, at least it has allowed us to come up with numerous memes and pithy posts to up our like counts.  

Yup, if we can push past 2k posts of speculation before the thing is even on the market, they can sure as diggety fill in 3 mins of video.

• Like 3

All I know is Lepin are now my direct rival as they are cloning all my stash. I know it´s not Lego but the price difference is enough for more than a few buyers to think twice - me included. What TLG have been doing recently with their own reissues is also worrying, so I have stopped buying altogether and will use this Xmas to reduce my stock as much as I can (no sales in summer). I figure that flipping will still be possible bu the vultures are certainly circling over long term investors.

Agree. Even the 10179 has been cloned now, out in the wild for only € 189,- (I guess about $ 200,-).

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

New 75159 Designer video up!!!

"When my grandfather designed the 10188, they didn't have the advanced building techniques and elements we have available today. Please keep in mind that we didn't take advantage of either of those things, but at least they were available to us."

• Like 9

Even with essentially the same exact design as 10188, this could've still been really cool, had they only included some additional plate pieces to cover up half of it, so it could be shown on display and then simply rotated to play mode, like the Disney Castle. Or even better, have the exterior plates on some sort of spinning thing, so you could just rotate it itself around to whichever scenes you want to play with/display.

Surely Lego must realize their blunders. On LEGO Shop, Assault on Hoth currently sits at 2.8/5 stars, whereas all of the other UCS models are 4.6/5+.

And no doubt, when this is released it too will probably settle at a lackluster 3/5 stars as well.

Edited by Stud-Flipper