75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
It seems the UCS designation now means any SW set priced at $200 or more ($150 and below being regular seys, and $150-200 not offered). They have diminished the UCS moniker, and it doesn't mean what it used to.

Sets need to be evaluated on an individual basis, regardless of these designations. I believe we are entering a period where picking the right sets and entering and exiting at the right time will be key. No longer can we expect to just buy and hold any lego star wars or UCS sets and get great returns. 

They can call it whatever they like, they're calling it a new Death Star so...

I agree, but those quality sets that are not "Superstars"  and might not appreciate quickly at first, usually have their run of appreciation.  It might take some time for some, but those are the sets I WANT.  These are the sets that are not hoarded or copied.  Given some time, they will appreciate and are the safest bets in the current market.  There are literally hundreds of these sets over the past 5-10 years that fit the "quality set...solid but not exceptional...under the radar...etc." description.  I want the "Burger" LEGO set, not the "Filet Mignon" LEGO set.

Problem is the Spam to prevalent.

13 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Totally anecdotal, but, I was talking to a friend that runs one of the Star Wars Lego Facebook groups.  This guy is a serious SW Lego collector.  He's trying to get one of every single SW set ever produced (he's down to less than 10, I think).  One of the other admins on the group is down to SW Lego sets to complete the "I've got one of every set produced."

The first guy said he's not picking up the new DS. Felt like he'd been kicked in the nuts.  The second guy said he's out.  That's he's not only not picking up the new DS, but he's also going to liquidate a bunch of his SW sets.  He's only going to keep a few sets that he truly loves, and everything else is gone now.  Again, felt like he'd been kicked in the nuts, too.

Sadly us core fans a not the target it's rich kids and people who have got into it after force awakens who might not know about 10188. I do not own one and won't get the new one as neither is to attractive but if I was to buy one it would be 10188 as it has the older hair styles which were common in my youth and the fact I despise the stud/spring loaded shooters also grand Moff Tarkin's new hair looks wrong just my opinion but then again this forum is full of opinions.

Edited by Will 4
  • Like 1

Again... coming back to the discussion of our footprint in the lego sales. I really believe we have a significant share. When I read many people are scaling back investment purchases or like myself quit buying and sell 90% of my stash I cannot avoid concluding that lego will notice it in their sales. Just take your average investor here and check out their storage rooms. That is alot! Many non-investors do not buy at such scale. 

Some people here might even buy only clearance items. And stop buying at RRP. So if enough investors do that Lego will feel it.

I made my decision to stop buying from Lego directly and only buy if 50% off or less. I will sell 90% of my stash. Already started with that proces end of last year. Maybe keep some Town Halls and R2's. But if I smell the slightest odor of a remake on the horizon I will sell everything.

Maybe this is all very drastic. But Lego just went a bridge too far this time.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Locutus001 said:

They really didn't put much effort into this "new" set...

It would have been better to bring out a new UCS MF and wait a little for a new (better) death star.

Silly talk. 10179 didn't sell well. 10188 did, for many, many years. This was a money grab.

• Like 3

Just now, Locutus001 said:

nutwise it's not silly talk. search your feelings, you know it to be true.

I have given up on 10188 many years ago. This hasn't really changed anything other than, no new DS this year. I don't have very many at all. Go back and read my posts, I'm sure I never raved about 10188. I never even bought a single one when we knew it was going away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ciglione said:

I made my decision to stop buying from Lego directly and only buy if 50% off or less. I will sell 90% of my stash. Already started with that proces end of last year. Maybe keep some Town Halls and R2's. But if I smell the slightest odor of a remake on the horizon I will sell everything.

Maybe this is all very drastic. But Lego just went a bridge too far this time.

I'm right there with you. Done buying outside of crazy deals like the $100 tie on amz day. Getting out of mediocre investments like orthanc and arkham. Will keep a pair each of the best stuff but the rest is going. This was not going to last forever and everything I'm seeing indicates it's time to get out.

Having 30k tied up in bricks used to seem crazy to me. Then it seemed briliant. Now it seems crazy again. Mabye I'm panicing but I just don't trust lego anymore. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I'm right there with you. Done buying outside of crazy deals like the $100 tie on amz day. Getting out of mediocre investments like orthanc and arkham. Will keep a pair each of the best stuff but the rest is going. This was not going to last forever and everything I'm seeing indicates it's time to get out.

Having 30k tied up in bricks used to seem crazy to me. Then it seemed briliant. Now it seems crazy again. Mabye I'm panicing but I just don't trust lego anymore. 

Yeah... and the good thing is: If it turns out we have been panicing and all remains good we can always start again easily. As we know how easy it is to buy. Just click and it is yours.

• Like 3