75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just woken up to this mess!!! Looks like the dream is over!!! Apologies to@CM4Sci for showing any doubt, it would now appear that you and your sources were correct. I still standby my statement that this set and the box art all all very poorly conceived however I don't think there is any doubt regards the new rear picture. So now it's time to ride the storm and suck it up. I think it's too late to start shifting 88s just tuck them away and forget about them. Hopefully I'll make some money of this early VIP 75159 set I managed to pick up this morning!! ;o)

56d94dab9b777bdfc84f4ea820afa1c9.jpg

• Like 9

I have 10188 as the centerpiece of my collection, I also have 1 sealed that I recently purchased for 415.  I love 10188 and was planning on keeping the sealed one for a long time anyway.  As for the new 10188 aka SSDD I am disappointed and frustrated with the direction TLG seems to be going.  I will still buy 1 eventually but mainly for the UCS badge since 10188 doesnt have one.

22 minutes ago, xxgatorzxx said:

I have 10188 as the centerpiece of my collection, I also have 1 sealed that I recently purchased for 415.  I love 10188 and was planning on keeping the sealed one for a long time anyway.  As for the new 10188 aka SSDD I am disappointed and frustrated with the direction TLG seems to be going.  I will still buy 1 eventually but mainly for the UCS badge since 10188 doesnt have one.

Shouldn't that be UCSS? (ultimate collectors cheese slope)

• Like 3

...adding to your point.

aaef313fa70cba5b35094e9850545aaa.jpg

This is how i totally feel, about Lego and investing currently.  yeah, I know money can still be made.  however. what's happening with 10188-75159 just reinforces the notion in this era of lego investing, (in general) the risk is greater for smaller profits than even 2 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Let's dispel with the fiction that wealthy people or companies know what they are doing.

• Like 7

I was so sure there was no way LEGO would just refresh a set of this magnitude...

On 12/11/2015 at 9:47 AM, gbg108 said:

Agreed. There is no way this will be a simple refresh of 10188. Even if it turns out to be another playset, after 8 years I'm sure the designers at Lego have had some good ideas and better building techniques. There's really no reason to cut corners on a flagship DS set that would limit the market.

On 12/11/2015 at 3:20 PM, gbg108 said:

Exactly. It's a flagship set, not an $80 Winter Toy Shop that's only on anyone's radar for 3 months a year. This set will take up a huge amount of shelf space, be in every catalog and is designed to get people into the stores and drooling over how awesome Lego is.  Minor tweaks and updated figures to 10188 won't achieve that goal or advance the brand. There are smart people working at Lego, they know all this. So personally, I expect the new DS will be a significant departure from 10188. What that is we'll see in time...

Guess I'll start eating...

eating-crow.jpg

Edited by gbg108
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Let's dispel with the fiction that wealthy people or companies know what they are doing.

I would say that it is more that they know about the issues that we concern ourselves with, but they also know that the impact from them overall (for LEGO) is somewhat trivial.

They owe us nothing really (although the lie about the set being "retired" is absolutely wrong). They will receive letters thanking them for bringing back this great set that someone didn't get for little Timmy before it had retired. Try sending them a letter that you're pissed off because it isn't fair that your 20k stash of DS was supposed to make you lots of money, and you don't really appreciate them wasting your time.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

This is how i totally feel, about Lego and investing currently.  yeah, I know money can still be made.  however. what's happening with 10188-75159 just reinforces the notion in this era of lego investing, (in general) the risk is greater for smaller profits than even 2 years ago.

Lots of changes by TLG as of late :

- haven't heard of folks being banned for months at s@h

- discounts on exclusives 

- remakes 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Lots of changes by TLG as of late :

- haven't heard of folks being banned for months at s@h

- discounts on exclusives 

- remakes 

You forgot increased purchase limits on most exclusives.  Sounds like someone is looking to save money and drum up business.

• Like 6

Not making jokes here, but isn't it a bit concerning that many of the various threads on this board end up converging with the bubble thread, or at least hinting at some level of investor dissatisfaction/concern/frustration/fear with the current state of the market and what the future holds in terms of Lego reselling viability?

How many people today are as confident with the market and TLG's decision making as they were 2-3 years ago?