75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
I'm on the record saying it's pretty clever if someone photoshopped in minifigures nobody has ever seen.

Not if the source of the pictures is LEGO and these figures are in the new DS. In this conspiracy theory they may have allowed figures to be used to legitimize the fakes.

But I still don't believe they're fake. Probably more likely the bad shop jobs were drafts. And I'd also imagine LEGO does ship new sets around before release to make sure the package will hold up. Especially after the Porsche issue. That would explain why the photo is of a DS in a normal shipping box not a factory box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

We still don't have official confirmation from LEGO that this is the second September 15th set.  I think we all expect (know?) that it is.  But, we don't have anything official to hang our hat on yet.

Sort of...  The ambassador forum has a comment that online RLUGs should expect a press release around September 1st with the official set release on October 1st.  But they are dancing around it because they can't officially comment on a set that isn't announced publicly.  Lego has been trying hard this year to manage the leaks, and the ambassador community is trying to help, but at least 50% of the leaks this year have been caused by Lego, or people in its span of control.  For example, like having a set that doesn't officially exist show up to LBR stores so someone can build the display.  Ot the Batcave that showed up on a retail shelf on Europe somewhere.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Real box photo looks legit, but it looks so plain in comparison to recent LEGO box images.  Maybe some creative soul is a printer and has the ability to print on a piece of cardboard.  

I am guessing that pic was from a set mailed out to one of the early reviewers who get them for free. It may not be the final boxart, or it could be. Most likely it is the set, but we won't know for sure until we get the offical release and hi res pics.

29 minutes ago, Will 4 said:

I here what the MODS say about Lego sending removal requests but these guys have it as front page news so it makes you wonder as surely if this was real they would be hunting down pics.

http://minifigpriceguide.com/wordpress/

And this is what they have to say about the set:

It appears to be a bit of a re-hash of the old one, but the old one was great, so why mess with it.

I guess that's one way of looking at it ...

3 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

For the record, I have absolutely zero stock in 10188.  I came out of my 2nd dark age after this set was retired.

So I want to clarify just what we are proposing in terms of a conspiracy theory that would be required for these pics to fake:

1.  Lego group cares enough about their internal leaks to start an internal affairs/CIA level operation to discover the leak.

2. They are willing to devote the manpower to have two separate sets of design teams, one which is a decoy team that designs "FAKE" 75159 and one that designs "REAL" 75159.

3. They are willing to have find a way to make sure that NONE of the designers, and nobody, but the highest of the highest board and executive members know this, so they can flush out the leak.

4. They then also set two separate design teams to design boxes, and manuals.

5. They send two separate sets of materials to a printer to have them printed.

6. They send out internal memo's showing these materials to everyone, with only the highest executives knowing their plan.  All the while, everyone else is completely in the dark.

7. They ship two separate 75159 out into shops and the wild.  The FAKE 75159 first and then the REAL one a week or so later.

This is TLG we are talking about.  Not the FBI/CIA/KGB/covert operations group of choice.

While all possible, I do not think TLG is willing to devote the manpower necessary to fabricate one of the most elaborate hoaxes in recent memory.  Maybe the reason their lawyers are not circling the forums, is because this is NOT A BIG REVEAL!  What thunder could you possibly be stealing by leaking this early??  If anything, we are doing them a favor, by diffusing the situation now, before the official announcement.  We are already disappointed, so we don't come crashing down on them when they announce 75159.  With the Disney Castle, there was some major thunder to be stolen there, they went for a big reveal and a big bang.  There is NO BIG REVEAL THIS TIME, so why try and cover it up?

Now, onto the pictures.  For the record, I do a very large amount of photography in my spare time, and at one point used to do Pro Photography on the side for fun, and have reasonable experience in photoshop/lightroom. I am not a graphic designer, but I know my way around some programs.

The pics in question.

#1 - The VIP Promo Pic - Of all the pics, this has the highest chance of being fake. That being said, it also has a very high chance of being real.  While people keep stating that it is grainy, well, the reason for that, is because it is a picture taken of a picture if that makes sense.  I do this all the time when I have a spectacular photo I have taken out in the wild, and want to share it with someone. I have Canon 5dMKIII that does not have wifi capabalities, so if I want to send someone a pic real fast, I have to take a photo off the screen off the back of my camera.  When I do this, it looks nearly identical to that photo.  Likely someone took a picture of it with their phone, and then someone took a picture of it from that phone. The lines on the photo is the space between each pixel. While the graphic design is extremely questionable, I have seen worse from Lego, and the fonts, placement of product info in the lower left hand corner, are very consistent with their typical graphic design department.

2. - The instruction manual - This manual looks as though it was placed on a table, and the left side, where the STAR WARS logo and 75159 are, are falling off the table a little bit.  This is what is causing the line to be crooked and the logo, etc.  Take a magazine, lay it 1/4 off the edge at home and try it out yourself.  You will see what I am talking about.

3. - The box - This is highly convincing.  This would have to be a pretty high end photoshop job, given the light reflections.  It is definitely doable, but you are breaking out some big gun photoshopping.  More likely if it is a fake, lego made a one time run of fake boxes.  There is even the slight creasing on the box in the reflection showing the corrugation of the cardboard.  This is Pixar level detail if you are photo shopping this sucker. The yellow line is consistent with the other placement on the manual as well.  While the explosion is slightly different, that could be just the graphic designer scooting it a smidge for whatever reason.

While I agree the graphic design of the box sucks,  keep in mind for many years Lego had black and white boxes for their flagship sets.  I definitely agree for their flagship it should be more exciting, however, it looks real.  To deny that would be implying that TLG is now the CIA, and I don't think that is the case.

Can We just have some fun?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rimmit said:

For the record, I have absolutely zero stock in 10188.  I came out of my 2nd dark age after this set was retired.

So I want to clarify just what we are proposing in terms of a conspiracy theory that would be required for these pics to fake:

1.  Lego group cares enough about their internal leaks to start an internal affairs/CIA level operation to discover the leak.

2. They are willing to devote the manpower to have two separate sets of design teams, one which is a decoy team that designs "FAKE" 75159 and one that designs "REAL" 75159.

3. They are willing to have find a way to make sure that NONE of the designers, and nobody, but the highest of the highest board and executive members know this, so they can flush out the leak.

4. They then also set two separate design teams to design boxes, and manuals.

5. They send two separate sets of materials to a printer to have them printed.

6. They send out internal memo's showing these materials to everyone, with only the highest executives knowing their plan.  All the while, everyone else is completely in the dark.

7. They ship two separate 75159 out into shops and the wild.  The FAKE 75159 first and then the REAL one a week or so later.

This is TLG we are talking about.  Not the FBI/CIA/KGB/covert operations group of choice.

While all possible, I do not think TLG is willing to devote the manpower necessary to fabricate one of the most elaborate hoaxes in recent memory.  Maybe the reason their lawyers are not circling the forums, is because this is NOT A BIG REVEAL!  What thunder could you possibly be stealing by leaking this early??  If anything, we are doing them a favor, by diffusing the situation now, before the official announcement.  We are already disappointed, so we don't come crashing down on them when they announce 75159.  With the Disney Castle, there was some major thunder to be stolen there, they went for a big reveal and a big bang.  There is NO BIG REVEAL THIS TIME, so why try and cover it up?

Now, onto the pictures.  For the record, I do a very large amount of photography in my spare time, and at one point used to do Pro Photography on the side for fun, and have reasonable experience in photoshop/lightroom. I am not a graphic designer, but I know my way around some programs.

The pics in question.

#1 - The VIP Promo Pic - Of all the pics, this has the highest chance of being fake. That being said, it also has a very high chance of being real.  While people keep stating that it is grainy, well, the reason for that, is because it is a picture taken of a picture if that makes sense.  I do this all the time when I have a spectacular photo I have taken out in the wild, and want to share it with someone. I have Canon 5dMKIII that does not have wifi capabalities, so if I want to send someone a pic real fast, I have to take a photo off the screen off the back of my camera.  When I do this, it looks nearly identical to that photo.  Likely someone took a picture of it with their phone, and then someone took a picture of it from that phone. The lines on the photo is the space between each pixel. While the graphic design is extremely questionable, I have seen worse from Lego, and the fonts, placement of product info in the lower left hand corner, are very consistent with their typical graphic design department.

2. - The instruction manual - This manual looks as though it was placed on a table, and the left side, where the STAR WARS logo and 75159 are, are falling off the table a little bit.  This is what is causing the line to be crooked and the logo, etc.  Take a magazine, lay it 1/4 off the edge at home and try it out yourself.  You will see what I am talking about.

3. - The box - This is highly convincing.  This would have to be a pretty high end photoshop job, given the light reflections.  It is definitely doable, but you are breaking out some big gun photoshopping.  More likely if it is a fake, lego made a one time run of fake boxes.  There is even the slight creasing on the box in the reflection showing the corrugation of the cardboard.  This is Pixar level detail if you are photo shopping this sucker. The yellow line is consistent with the other placement on the manual as well.  While the explosion is slightly different, that could be just the graphic designer scooting it a smidge for whatever reason.

While I agree the graphic design of the box sucks,  keep in mind for many years Lego had black and white boxes for their flagship sets.  I definitely agree for their flagship it should be more exciting, however, it looks real.  To deny that would be implying that TLG is now the CIA, and I don't think that is the case.

Or somebody just had some fun with Photoshop just for the heck of it and TLG has nothing to do with these pictures whatsoever.

A couple of years ago I created a fake screenshot of a rumored computer game just to see how long it would take to appear on gaming sites. I had some fun with that :)

• Like 4