75159 - UCS: Death Star (2016)

No More Monkeys

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, emazers said:

"Well I have about 20 Emails and 3 phone calls on the New Death Star and what am I doing about the 10188.I was going to wait a while to post but with my name poping up everwhere well he is my thought. "Do I have the blues on this on the 60 DS I had sure who wouldn't. But you guys with just a few act like the world has ended, and Lego investing is dead, Well I have sold 15 DS, $550-600, most on Craigs List, and with the Double VIP Points a few weeks ago and I had a few hundred dollars VIP Points I took the $5000 grand and so and went out and got Sancrawlers, Ferris wheels, More Simpsons sets, Ewok Villages, PR, Etc and with all the VIP points I had I got 2 Sandcrawlers Free. and I got Most of my DS for $262 from B&N and alot for for $285 with the Toys R US Buy 2 get onfe free, and that was twice a year for years, and others I got were $300 or so on Amazon. so I have 45 DS Left, I see these taking many many years on being worth $800-1000 unless the new one is not made long. "My Theory is I am waiting for Christmas to see how much these are going for which I don't see much, I look at it this way now after Christmas if there are 100's on ebay I will unloade 25 more even if I can get a $50 profit I will do it so I look at it me having $12,000 grand put away, having lost nothing but these would have been a $1000 set in another year or two. so either way I am still living on wall street, I still have 40 POTC Pearl and Queen Sets, 40 HP 4842 & 10217 Sets, 45 SSD, 58  HH and thousands of more great sets and exclusives. and as I said before I would like to stop buying when I am 70 and thats 2 yrs from now, now easier said than done. "Now I will sail if Lego does the HH, TH, and other great Exclusives basically the same way well then giving up on investing might be a thought, So here are my thoughts and what I am doing, and you guys that have 5 or under and don't need the money I would hold on to them, you guys with 10 and up if you can make your money back I would sell about 5 of them. and whoever thinks the new DS will be a poor seller I disacree. So if anybody wants to email me or even call me  and I have talked to hundreds of you guys on the phone. "So Don't Crack and give up the ship"      Ed

whether we agree or disagree , posting your number and offering your insight is pretty generous of you 

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

I don't see why it's that big of a difference. The type of people I see buying this don't check prices, €400, €500, who cares, I want it, so I'll buy it type of attitude. 

Maybe it's just me...But FIVE hundred dollars sounds a lot more the four hundred dollars.  I work out in the sun all day, so my brain cells are probably being exposed to too much radiation.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, emazers said:

"Well I have about 20 Emails and 3 phone calls on the New Death Star and what am I doing about the 10188.I was going to wait a while to post but with my name poping up everwhere well he is my thought. "Do I have the blues on this on the 60 DS I had sure who wouldn't. But you guys with just a few act like the world has ended, and Lego investing is dead, Well I have sold 15 DS, $550-600, most on Craigs List, and with the Double VIP Points a few weeks ago and I had a few hundred dollars VIP Points I took the $5000 grand and so and went out and got Sancrawlers, Ferris wheels, More Simpsons sets, Ewok Villages, PR, Etc and with all the VIP points I had I got 2 Sandcrawlers Free. and I got Most of my DS for $262 from B&N and alot for for $285 with the Toys R US Buy 2 get onfe free, and that was twice a year for years, and others I got were $300 or so on Amazon. so I have 45 DS Left, I see these taking many many years on being worth $800-1000 unless the new one is not made long. "My Theory is I am waiting for Christmas to see how much these are going for which I don't see much, I look at it this way now after Christmas if there are 100's on ebay I will unloade 25 more even if I can get a $50 profit I will do it so I look at it me having $12,000 grand put away, having lost nothing but these would have been a $1000 set in another year or two. so either way I am still living on wall street, I still have 40 POTC Pearl and Queen Sets, 40 HP 4842 & 10217 Sets, 45 SSD, 58  HH and thousands of more great sets and exclusives. and as I said before I would like to stop buying when I am 70 and thats 2 yrs from now, now easier said than done. "Now I will sail if Lego does the HH, TH, and other great Exclusives basically the same way well then giving up on investing might be a thought, So here are my thoughts and what I am doing, and you guys that have 5 or under and don't need the money I would hold on to them, you guys with 10 and up if you can make your money back I would sell about 5 of them. and whoever thinks the new DS will be a poor seller I disacree. So if anybody wants to email me or even call me  EST  3-mindight and I have talked to hundreds of you guys on the phone. "So Don't Crack and give up the ship"      Ed

So there you go. All at at least 100 USD below RRP sounds like a good safety net. Lord have mercy on those that paid RRP or above.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I'm just an observer here, but I still think there is a chance that LEGO set this all up to find the source of the recent "true" leaks (e.g. 71040). Make up a fake box, heck, even have a few printed, make sure images are slightly different (perhaps even a watermark somewhere, or a single altered pixel) then proceed in the normal manner and see where the pictures show up. CM4Sci could be connected to one of the leak sources and get this stuff, so no foul play by him(her?), but it might be the last time as TLG might plug the leak next time around.

I highly doubt they would go trough all that trouble for... yeah, for what exactly? A leaked picture? It's not exactly hurting them or am I missing something? It's not a screener DVD of a movie that's not even in the theaters, is it?

1 hour ago, CM4Sci said:

Has LEGO contacted you mods about the images yet? 

No, but we are being aggressive with taking them down.  When the LEGO lawyers contact a site that has kept them up, then you know the leaks are real.  Doesn't mean they do it every time, though.  Be curious to see what sites still have the pics up, and whether they've been contacted.

I'm still not sold on the pics being legit.  Maybe I'm still in denial.  The VIP brochure is either fake or work from an intern.  The "instruction manual" pic looks photo shopped,  Just zoom in and look at the set number.  The background isn't consistent.  That doesn't seem right unless its an early draft graphic, then its plausible, I suppose.

The only pic that looks legit is the one with the box and the reflective glare.  That looks real...but like others have said the aspect ratio is a little off isn't it?  And since when did LEGO start sending sets in cases that open up in the front and not on top?  Has anyone seen the set in person yet?  These are supposed to be in stores by now.  Surely Kevin can confirm these pics are real for us, can't he?  Why aren't we seeing more leaked pics by now? 

I'm not trying to call out CM4Sci.  I'm just making observations.

Oh, and you want some more drama? emazers pulled his ebay listing...

I've been thinking the same thing, my career involves graphic design and today I spent a bit of time studying the images. I agree the grainy one is crap so let's forget that one, next to the manual, again it just doesn't look right from a design aspect. Firstly the star wars Logo and TM symbol just don't look right, they are too close to the DS, it looks cramped and messy, plus the TM symbol can hardly be seen. Things look out of line, I think any designer would have lined up the flags with the Lego logo and Disney logo just to be meticulous, and as for the silhouette ships, I think they look tacky. Also the yellow glare from the fire looks odd, I'm not sure Lego would have wanted the actual image of the DS to be affected in any shape or form.

Now for the shipping box image, at first glance things don't look in proportion. Half the SW logo has been cut off, but the entire DS can be seen, which means they is a huge amount of dead space above it not being used, I just don't think a designer would do that. Again, everything looks very cramped, the tie has been squeezed in, surely there is room to the left? The fire from the blast is touching the DS, again unnecessary and not consistent with other pic. The USC logo is literally touching the edge of the box, most designers would leave a minimum 3mm bleed around the edge, sometimes 6mm, with allows for movement when cutting and creasing, with the logo being that close it leaves no margin for error, fancy if the usc logo was cut off, you just couldn't take that risk, a printer would probably refuse it.

Just my opinion, I may be entirely wrong but just observations.
  • Like 8

On my phone. Suddenly can't access this forum on my computer for some reason. I'm asking people if they know anything.. if it's all fake then I'm both irritated and upset cause that is a massive prank. But I still think these images are real because I do not think my sources would lie to me, they share what they see or know. Has anybody contacted that Kevin guy? Maybe he can share more. All this looking into the art and figuring out if it's fake is ridiculous to me honestly. The number isn't misaligned, so what if the lasers we're horribly cropped out, people make mistakes? It is real and that's all I can say. 

7 minutes ago, BearCrash said:

I highly doubt they would go trough all that trouble for... yeah, for what exactly? A leaked picture? It's not exactly hurting them or am I missing something? It's not a screener DVD of a movie that's not even in the theaters, is it?

First of all: not a lot of trouble. The images are not great, so they didn't take long to put together. Even printing a box should be a quick decision and execution for a company the size of TLG.

Why? Because TLG seems to be concerned about counterfeits (see the counterfeit room from the press-visit from earlier this year) and was for sure embarrassed about the fact that LEPIN had the Cinderella Castle out, with correct instructions and art, at least several weeks before the official LEGO release. If they didn't care, why would they be chasing all fan-sites with C&D letters each and every time? That costs time and effort, way more than printing a fake box.

1 minute ago, CM4Sci said:

On my phone. Suddenly can't access this forum on my computer for some reason. I'm asking people if they know anything.. if it's all fake then I'm both irritated and upset cause that is a massive prank. But I still think these images are real because I do not think my sources would lie to me, they share what they see or know. Has anybody contacted that Kevin guy? Maybe he can share more. All this looking into the art and figuring out if it's fake is ridiculous to me honestly. The number isn't misaligned, so what if the lasers we're horribly cropped out, people make mistakes? It is real and that's all I can say. 

We'll all know the truth once the official press release is there. Until then, we can only speculate - which is what all of us are doing.

2 minutes ago, Phil B said:

First of all: not a lot of trouble. The images are not great, so they didn't take long to put together. Even printing a box should be a quick decision and execution for a company the size of TLG.

Why? Because TLG seems to be concerned about counterfeits (see the counterfeit room from the press-visit from earlier this year) and was for sure embarrassed about the fact that LEPIN had the Cinderella Castle out, with correct instructions and art, at least several weeks before the official LEGO release. If they didn't care, why would they be chasing all fan-sites with C&D letters each and every time? That costs time and effort, way more than printing a fake box.

Good point about the Lepin issue.

Since we're all in the second (third?) stage of denial, and now doubting the photos, let me throw this out there...

We still don't have official confirmation from LEGO that this is the second September 15th set.  I think we all expect (know?) that it is.  But, we don't have anything official to hang our hat on yet.

11 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Maybe it's just me...But FIVE hundred dollars sounds a lot more the four hundred dollars.  I work out in the sun all day, so my brain cells are probably being exposed to too much radiation.

It's a lot to me too, but I'm not the market, my boss, who's very very rich is. It's the guys who can buy little Timmette a pony and Little Timmy a Death Star, they don'the check prices.

7 minutes ago, CM4Sci said:

"Kevin" took his post off that Facebook group....

But he is still telling folks in other threads "hope you sold your 10188's".....

If he is the guy, his message hasn't changed. His pic I believe was the more legit one of the piece count and set number which implies hes seen the front of box.